Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #151
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
In the videos there was one big difference between (the new) Aura and Glo: the speed of dictionary lookup. Is it just because the Glo was with an old firmware? The painfully slow dictionary was the main reason why I decided not to buy a Glo last December, despite the gorgeous screen. My (relatively) old sony PRS350 has a dictionary which is much faster (and also more complete). There is another thing with the dictionary: if the lookup fails, sometimes it's enough to delete a couple of characters from the end of the word. On Glo (when I tried it) it was very complicated (on PRS350 it's easy). Did this thing get improved in more recent firmwares on Glo (or on Aura HD)?
I don't think there was much difference in the dictionary lookup time on the Glo, it was just that the reviewer took a number of attempts to select the word. Once a word is selected, the lookup itself takes a fraction of a second.

There was one firmware version with a bug that prevented the looked-up word being edited, it was fixed in the next firmware release, but perhaps the Glo you tried was running that firmware.

Quote:
One thing I don't like about the new Aura - the header is even bigger than on Glo (the screen is not so big that it should be filled with useless information; I have the feeling that the 5" sceen of PSR350 is showing as much text as this 6" screen). And when they talk about the "pdf experience" - how about automatic margin crop? Pocketbook 360 could do it!
The size of the header will depend partly on the firmware version, but also on the top margin set in the book itself, which varies from book to book. These reviews are useless for comparing these sorts of things because their readers are not only running different firmware versions, but they are comparing different books too.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #152
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
For me it's partly that they're basically idiots and partly because they take 16 minutes for a video that has 5 actual minutes of information.
I had to laugh at that, but you're actually right. Listen to this review at around 4:14 when they say reading 2 hours or more a night on a backlit screen causes melanoma...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=staUN3XzJIY
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #153
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The more I see videos, the more I may consider replacing my Aura HD with the Aura (maybe, in the end, after thinking long and large and having hold one in my own hands ...).

Mainly because of the lack of ghosting, the nifty 2-finger swipe and the apparently better rendered PDF documents. The smaller size could be a good point. However, I like very much the high resolution of the Aura HD

One thing though, to protect my Aura HD I always put it face down on the (bedside) table so nothing can touch/scratch the screen. I do the same with the Mini when it's not in its cover or a bag. With no recess on a screen I would worry more, unless this is a Gorilla-glass like strong one
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #154
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I think the biggest benefits to the Aura (having never touched one myself) are the new screen with fewer refreshes (and it seemed a smidge clearer w/better contrast), smaller size while maintaining the 6" form factor, and the improved responsiveness of the capacitive screen, including multi-touch gestures.
Fewer refreshed *might* be a benefit, but only if ghosting doesn't increase. I really HATE ghosting, screen refresh doesn't bug me that much. I found the setting with least screen refresh on my Aura HD did introduce some ghosting and I had to set it to a more frequent screen refresh.

I definitely like the idea of better touch responsiveness, particularly the slide to change light brightness, that is a feature I love on the Mantano reader app I use on my Android devices.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #155
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
and the apparently better rendered PDF documents.
If this is true then it must be an improvement of the pdf part of the firmware. Guess the Aura has a newer firmware version which has not been released for the existing readers. Just wait till Kobo rolls out this newer version.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #156
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Faster processor, pinch zoom and capacitance touch screen that is more responsive than IR touch are 3 big improvements for reading PDF format. Have to read real user experiences. Has to be better but color is needed for some PDF books and bigger screen for full page view that can be read without pinch zoom.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #157
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The more I see videos, the more I may consider replacing my Aura HD with the Aura (maybe, in the end, after thinking long and large and having hold one in my own hands ...).

Mainly because of the lack of ghosting, the nifty 2-finger swipe and the apparently better rendered PDF documents. The smaller size could be a good point. However, I like very much the high resolution of the Aura HD

One thing though, to protect my Aura HD I always put it face down on the (bedside) table so nothing can touch/scratch the screen. I do the same with the Mini when it's not in its cover or a bag. With no recess on a screen I would worry more, unless this is a Gorilla-glass like strong one
Simply make it a little bed of the soft static resistant soft material so many things come packaged in. We are always wondering what to do with that, or a roomy little envelope that could be hung from the bedside table drawer knob. Or a hinged cover with static resistant material glued inside affixed to the table with double sided tape.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #158
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
The more I see videos, the more I may consider replacing my Aura HD with the Aura
I'm in the same boat but there has been no announcement regarding a Kobo Aura release in Japan unfortunately. I really like my Kobo but there's really nothing special about it other than the extra screen real estate. In fact, in some ways it's actually much worse due to the high resolution. I suppose reading manga must be very nice but I don't really do that. All of the non-fiction books that I read have almost uninterperetable pictures because they're so small thanks to the small resolution of the photos themselves. I wish the firmware would allow for some kind of pixel doubling for pictures on the Aura HD.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #159
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I wish the firmware would allow for some kind of pixel doubling for pictures on the Aura HD.
That would be nice, even if the images didn't look perfect. Of course if the publishers would include pics with decent resolution to begin with...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #160
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Engadget
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #161
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Could somebody please tell that so-called "expert" that it does not have a backlight. Do you need to be a complete nincompoop to land a job as a "reviewer" these days?
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #162
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Do you need to be a complete nincompoop to land a job as a "reviewer" these days?
I do believe that is the standard requirement
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #163
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The flat screen will at least be much easier to keep clean. No more gunk around the frame. I love my HD but but with an aching wrist I'll probably buy this new, lighter one after all.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #164
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
If this is true then it must be an improvement of the pdf part of the firmware. Guess the Aura has a newer firmware version which has not been released for the existing readers. Just wait till Kobo rolls out this newer version.
I agree but the improvement may be part on the software side (so good for the Aura HD too) and part on the hardware side (for example, the pinch zoom ability). So wait and see. Anyway, my Aura HD is so right for my needs that it would be foolish to sell it without seeing the Aura beforehand
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #165
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The biggest turn off for any e-reader is those video reviews, particularly those from Goodereader. As much as I'd like to watch the reviews to see more of the new Aura, I can't stand it with those guys talking far too much (and much of it drivel), pointing out and discussing obvious things that anyone can see just by looking at the video, and pretty much just appearing to chat incessantly about whatever thought happens to pop into their head.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote