Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #17221
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I am almost done the last book in the "Rain Wilds quartet" by Robin Hobb. I feel like I'm going to be a bit lost after I leave the realm of the Elderlings.
You got through them quickly! I've just started The Tawny Man Trilogy. Happy to be back with Fitz and friends, but I did enjoy the multiple POV style of the Liveship Traders.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #17222
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I just finished The Caves of Perigord, by Bruno, Chief of Police author Martin Walker. This is a novel of the cave painters, the French Resistance, and a sort of pre-cursor to the Bruno novels. Fascinating on several different levels, and I definitely recommend it. (This is not a Bruno-style cozy, but certainly a mystery and a historical novel. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #17223
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Halfway through Evelyn Waugh's The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold, a novella in which the protagonist is paranoid, hearing conspiracies against him on a ship to Ceylon. I'll finish it as it isn't long, but not particularly recommended.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #17224
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got tired of waiting for Trade Secret (a Liaden Universe book), so I decided to reread the Prince Roger (Empire of Man) series. That should be fun at least.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #17225
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I started S.J. Parris' Heresy last night, but couldn't get into it. So I'm ditching it (for now). A lot of people have recommended the Mortal Instruments series, so I think I'll give that a try.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #17226
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading this month's Phoenix Pick freebie, Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp. It's looking very interesting.
Which was interesting. And reasonably fun. I really liked the aliens, but found the humans to be a bit too 1950s-ish.

And now onto my latest issue of Analog Science Fiction/Science Fact.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #17227
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Started reading ERB's Barsoom series. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not reading these books sooner, I'm loving them.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #17228
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Started reading ERB's Barsoom series. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not reading these books sooner, I'm loving them.
Just downloaded those from the library - will be getting to the first after i've finished "keep the aspidistra flying" by george orwell
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #17229
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Just downloaded those from the library - will be getting to the first after i've finished "keep the aspidistra flying" by george orwell
You may wish to get the "Omnibus Edition" right from in the MR library. I think it's quite good, but I'm biased.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #17230
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may wish to get the "Omnibus Edition" right from in the MR library. I think it's quite good, but I'm biased.
Hey, thanks for the reminder

I don't know how i constantly forget to look there before putting books in the long queue with the library
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #17231
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have about 30 pages left before I finish Emile Zola's first novel.

Oh, the horrors of Love!

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #17232
Beerman
Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.

Device: Ipad 2
1/3 of the way through Witch Wraith:The Dark Legacy of Shannara. So far, I'm enjoying it though not as much as the first 2. But, the loose ends must get tied.
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #17233
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I've finished reading Surface Detail by the late Iain M. Banks and would recommend it to anyone interested in his science-fiction books. This is the penultimate novel in the "Culture" Universe created in a series of 10 volumes.

It is a vast epic spanning The Galaxy and a series of equally complex virtual Universes--simulations within simulations. There are four beautifully integrated plot threads dealing with murder, revenge, individual tragedy, complex social issues, and ethical questions.

The characters are quite vivid, and not least interesting are the sentient starships with wonderful names such as "Sense Amid Madness, Wit Amidst Folly", "Me, I'm Counting", and "Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints" to name but three interesting examples.

There is a memorable villain and the virtual "worlds" are brilliantly imagined. Particularly vivid are the Dante-esque Hells. The various resolutions to the individual plots are satisfying and reasonable.

All-in-all, this is Banks at his best.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 07-25-2013 at 03:49 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #17234
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Just finished Wounds of Honour, the first book of Anthony Riches' Empire series, which revolves about a Roman noble serving as a Centurion in a Roman auxiliary cohort at Hadrian's Wall (181 AD). He is serving under an alias to escape the reach of a murderous Emperor.

Lots of detail about Roman military training and organization and action-packed - the first book ends in a cliffhanger - the hero is storming a fortress in a falorn hope.

on to book two , Arrows of Fury
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #17235
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Trade Secret eARC :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I got tired of waiting for Trade Secret (a Liaden Universe book), so I decided to reread the Prince Roger (Empire of Man) series. That should be fun at least.
The Trade Secret eArc is out, so I'm putting Prince Roger on hold for the day it will take me to read this.