Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot
Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Onyx Boox
Affordable Case Sony

We developed a new sony PRS 650 cover. It's available in 3 different colors (black, red and white). It will cost the half of the original cover. We also ship the goods free over the world. Please find a few pictures below.

Klein Nijenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Looks good but the flap is on the wrong side. If you have it on this side it will dangle in front of the screen after a while.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Looks good but the flap is on the wrong side. If you have it on this side it will dangle in front of the screen after a while.
Our Kindle has a very similar cover and it's fine because the magnet closure is heavy enough to keep it out of the way, plus if it's like my Kindle cover, you can fold the flap closure underneath then fold the main cover back around the the rear side and it will stick in that position.

This is an essential feature on the Nook and Kindle if you want to use the left side page advance buttons.

Though it's not absolutely required on the Sony, some folks really like this 'fold the cover back' feature because they find it makes one handed reading easier.

The only suggestion that I would make is that the cover should be a slide-in design like this one, because it gives better protection and it will be hard to keep the top corner straps in your design from covering the corners of the screen.

Last edited by delphin; 03-18-2011 at 05:46 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you go to the vendor website, then you can see additional images with the 650 installed in the cover and how the straps look with the screen. I have similar strap-style covers for my 950 and my NOOKcolor, although by a different manufacturer. As long as the design places the straps in the proper locations with respect to the device buttons and screen, then they are fine and don't interfere. I am also one of those people who likes to fold the front cover back when I read.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
Any chance you might be manufacturing Sony PRS-350 covers soon?
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If you go to the vendor website, then you can see additional images with the 650 installed in the cover and how the straps look with the screen . . .
Yes I see, thank you, but looking at these images raises 3 more issues . . .

1. The straps seem to slightly interfere with the SD slot.

2. The straps seem to also interfere with the main power slider (BIG ISSUE).

3. Because they have to minimize the screen overlap at the corners, the straps are also less secure.
(I can easily imagine the reader bouncing out of the cover after even a small drop)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Gecko, you really do have a good market opportunity here, if you will just take the time to LISTEN AND LEARN and just give us a nice drop in pocket design like the Navitech, Tuf-Luv, Eco-Nique and several others (there is a REASON they all do it that way).

Despite it's low price, I have avoided the Navitech cover that I linked before because it has a reputation for POOR FIT, so there is a definite need for a good quality slide in wrap around type cover at a reasonable cost ($20 USD approx)

It looks like you have a nice selection of colors, so that's a plus, but only if you offer an alternate style other than your current 'corner strap' design, which I think is a non-starter (at least for me).

Last edited by delphin; 03-18-2011 at 07:37 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Um, not everyone LIKES the drop in design - I certainly don't. I prefer the type as shown, with the straps on the corners.

Please don't presume to speak for others. There's a REASON there is more than one type of cover - because people like different things.

OP - These look like nice covers - I wonder if they'd fit my 505?
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Our Kindle has a very similar cover and it's fine because the magnet closure is heavy enough to keep it out of the way, plus if it's like my Kindle cover, you can fold the flap closure underneath then fold the main cover back around the the rear side and it will stick in that position.
And? This works the other way around, too.

Same thing only the flap won't be in your way when reading with the cover open bookstyle. I mentioned it because I had one like this and threw it away because the flap was always dangeling in front of the screen. A lot of manufacturers do it the other way around. Like this one or this one , this here.

Or maybe they are just doing wrong because it is not the Kindle way of how to do things...
Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

As you can see here and mentioned before, the straps are in the way of the power slider and the SD slot. The SD slot is not an issue overall as most do not use it. But, the power slider being covered by the trap is a major issue and one that will stop people frm buying it or once bought, wanting to return it.

Also, you can fix the problem is the clasp as well as the straps by instead of using the straps and the clasp, hook into the cover holes on the 650. Then you can do away with the clasp and the straps. Making the connectors out of something not plastic would do fine.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-19-2011 at 05:06 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Actually I don't buy covers with straps as I find them to look cheap and I like the extra protection the slip in gives. As for elegance the best solution is the little magnets Sony uses taking advantage of the magnetizm of the Sony Readers. No flap, no clasp, clean lines.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
I concur...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Actually I don't buy covers with straps as I find them to look cheap and I like the extra protection the slip in gives. As for elegance the best solution is the little magnets Sony uses taking advantage of the magnetizm of the Sony Readers. No flap, no clasp, clean lines.
I have the straps on my Oberon cover with my 650. (Oberon for the 600)
I dislike the straps, and it's compounded by the 650 needing the lower left hand strap relocated to match the one on the lower RH side. I also wish the Oberon cover was a 'drop in style instead. I have had the Oberon cover about a month now and I am not overly impressed by it. I guess that puts me in the minority. I wish I'd seen one in advance.
A friend of mine has a 'drop-in' style cover for her Kobo, and I think that functionally, it a superior rig. The inside finish of it is much nicer than my Oberon also, IMO.
I wish Oberon would just alter the 600 case to PROPERLY fit the 650. The changes required would be real MINOR. If I was to do it again, I would delete the wool insert and the straps. I believe the day will come where I'll affect the changes to my Oberon that it needs. The one strap really bugs me.

The internal magnetic closure design on the Sony covers is a great feature in my thinking. No flap.

I also don't think the strap covering the SD card is all that bad. I've had mine pop out, and a strap covering it would have prevented that.

WE

With regard to what I see of the Gecko covers, I like them. Black for me.

Last edited by Wordeater; 03-20-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot
Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Onyx Boox
Thank you for all the tips and comments. We make a dedicated choice to put the strap on the right. Please check the picture below.

Furthermore, the Sony can be attached very easy in the cover. Therefore you can put on/off the ereader on a simple way. The nicest things about the cover are the different colors, free shipping and it's low price.
Klein Nijenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein Nijenhuis View Post
Thank you for all the tips and comments. We make a dedicated choice to put the strap on the right. Please check the picture below.

Works just the same when attached to the other side...

Click image for larger version

Name:	455360836_tp.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	68669

Name:	455360777_tp.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	68670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post
I have the straps on my Oberon cover with my 650. (Oberon for the 600)
I dislike the straps, and it's compounded by the 650 needing the lower left hand strap relocated to match the one on the lower RH side. I also wish the Oberon cover was a 'drop in style instead. I have had the Oberon cover about a month now and I am not overly impressed by it. I guess that puts me in the minority. I wish I'd seen one in advance.
A friend of mine has a 'drop-in' style cover for her Kobo, and I think that functionally, it a superior rig. The inside finish of it is much nicer than my Oberon also, IMO.
I wish Oberon would just alter the 600 case to PROPERLY fit the 650. The changes required would be real MINOR. If I was to do it again, I would delete the wool insert and the straps. I believe the day will come where I'll affect the changes to my Oberon that it needs. The one strap really bugs me.

The internal magnetic closure design on the Sony covers is a great feature in my thinking. No flap.

I also don't think the strap covering the SD card is all that bad. I've had mine pop out, and a strap covering it would have prevented that.

WE

With regard to what I see of the Gecko covers, I like them. Black for me.
There are perfectly well made covers for other brands/models that come with the best of features combined. This is i.e. one cover I really love. Bought it for my Italica.

It has the magnets incorporated in the cover. The inside is lined with suede. It is as pleasant for the eye as it is to the touch.

If I had a 650 it probably go with the Noreve covers. They have a clip-in system that looks pretty slick. Even though there is a flap it is on the correct side and will not interfer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	copper-coverth.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	68671  
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
What about the 900 series? I am always seeing cases for others but none for the 900. It is 5 by 8.1 and I would love to find a cover for it. Something that would allow me to have access to the ports, mainly the one to charge it. I'm not sure about the straps, I always worry my reader will slip out, especially if I were to drop it (shudder at the thought!).

To me, the perfect cover would protect it, yet not be so bulky as to keep me from putting it into my purse. Right now with the black cover that it came with it fits into my purse with a little bit of room to spare. Maybe allow me to stand up my reader so I could read it hands free, or have a light, but that is not as important as protecting it in case I drop it -- yet fit into my purse.

Not asking for much, am I?
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
pappcam
pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.pappcam knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Why don't aftermarket cases for the 350 and 650 use the Sony method for holding the readers? I have the Sony cover with the light for my 350 and there's no straps, Velcro or sleeve to slide it in to.

Of course affordable is not a word I'd use to describe these cases. I got the 350 free through a rewards program so I didn't mind spending the $50 for the case.
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote