Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
syrianrue
syrianrue began at the beginning.

Device: none
get kindle 3 or wait for next kindle?

So, i'm currently deciding whether or not to get a kindle 3g or not. I hear that there's a possibility that amazon might come out with a tablet (though now i hear they might have put that on hold.) Furthermore, i've also heard that the next kindle might use the color e-ink technology.

But, I already have an ipad2 that i recently received as a gift from my brother, so a color kindle is not necessarily a must for me.

However, being a young kid and a avid downloader on the net, I always look for stuff for free first on the net. Are there a lot of places i could go to find the book i want for free? I've tried looking online, but it's nothing like downloading movies on the internet where you can always find the movie you want. Does anyone know of any good private torrent sites specifically for ebooks ?

My last deciding factor is the support of epub. the current kindle 3g doesn't support it yet, and there has been rumor that the next one will. I know there is a program called calibre or something that can help convert file from 1 format to another, but still.... so hard to make up my mind.

=(
syrianrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Have you actually seen E-ink Triton (the color e-ink)? It's terrible. I doubt Amazon is going to use color e-ink unless it drastically improves.

On this forum we're not allowed to give out piracy links, I'm afraid.

Honestly, since you have an ipad2 I'd say just wait, because you don't seem to have any compelling reason to get a Kindle, like a preference for e-ink. If you prefer epub you had might as well get the Nook STR or Kobo.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
syrianrue

i do really want to get an ebook though. saw kindle at bestbuy and was really impressed with e-ink.

i dont prefer epub, to be honest i dont know much about all the formats..... but from what i hear calibre, though a wonderful program still sometimes can't convert pdf or epub to mobi 100% right?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is feedbooks, Amazon, Gutenberg, Smashwords and of course right here at MR for books. Not all the books at the various sites (aside from here and Gutenberg) are free but they do have books that work with the Kindle. Mobipockets.com has a free section (though last time I was there it wasn't working right) and those books also work on the Kindle though the paid books there don't (they have DRM). So there are a lot of good legal sites for ebooks both free and for reasonable prices. The ones I've mentioned are just a few of them. Happy reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And no one here is going to give you information on illegal torrent sites.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It can't convert it if it's locked by DRM. If you unlock it first, which is very do-able but we can't talk about it here, then Calibre can convert it just fine.

I have both a Kindle and an iPad and the only features the Kindle has which are missing on the iPad are text to speech to read the story out loud to you, and the ability to organize the books into collections.

Places to get the books for free, legally, include the public library (I belong to four public libraries which lend ebooks; with some fiddling on the level of your above question, you can read them on the Kindle) and a few social websites which facilitate sharing of Kindle ebooks which are lenadable. You could also start a review blog---if you want to review a book, you can often get it for free by requesting from the relevant parties.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Don't wait! Get the Kindle 3 now! It is a wonderful reader. I have gotten HUNDREDS of free books from amazon, and that is not counting all that I have NOT gotten because they didn't interest me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Also please try not to post the same posting in different forums under different headers. It only creates confusion.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Go ahead and get one now if you really want one.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i say get it, but get a white one. that way you'll stand out more from the other kindle owners. i know ppl who do it, but i haven't really looked for free copyrighted books myself.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrianrue View Post
i do really want to get an ebook though. saw kindle at bestbuy and was really impressed with e-ink.
Then consider getting the Kindle with Special Offers (KSO). It's only $114 and the only differences between it and the ad-free version are:
  • Screensavers: there are only 4 and all of them are ads/offers.
  • Home Page: shows a small ad at the very bottom, synced to the current screensaver.
  • Main Menu: between Settings and Experimental is an entry for View Special Offers.
The above info also applies to the 3G version of the KSO. You have to go out of your way to see the screensavers; and the ad banner on the home page is all but invisible to me now.

The key advantage to this Kindle (besides an immediate $25 savings) are the money saving offers from Amazon that are exclusive to this Kindle.

Visit this thread - Special Offers for new Kindle (KSO) - to see the offers Amazon has presented so far. I bought my KSO the day it was released and took advantage of enough offers in that first month to make my KSO totally free (consider the offers as rebates). Don't know about you, but I love free Kindles; and I'm not the only here who has a free Kindle thanks to these offers. There are many more members here who also have free Kindles because of this.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Do it right, get a KSO 3G; the 3G really differentiates it from the Nook's. I bought a wifi, and now wish I had some 3G, free, goodness.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
If you for any reason, don't like touch screens, then I can absolutely say go for it. The rumors are that Amazon's next offering might go that way, although it could be a change in the DX, and while they can certainly keep the K3 as a companion model, it won't last forever.

I never realized how frustrating touch screens were until I dumped my nook and switched.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
syrianrue

yeah i think i will get a 3g (especially after i heard about Duokan, an os that can be installed into kindle to read epub and pdf without having to convert) . but what's the difference between the regular 3g wifi and the one with special offers? the one with special offers will periodicaly show ads while you read or something?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrianrue View Post
yeah i think i will get a 3g (especially after i heard about Duokan, an os that can be installed into kindle to read epub and pdf without having to convert) . but what's the difference between the regular 3g wifi and the one with special offers? the one with special offers will periodicaly show ads while you read or something?
No, it doesn't interrupt any reading. It only shows when you are at the home screen and when the device is on standby or off. And you can receive some good offers
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote