Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Acteon
Acteon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Solar cell in the back please

Hello,

I'd like the engineers to make the Kobo to consider putting solar cells on the back of the Kobo. This way, when it is not in use, it can be placed screen down to be recharged by ambient light instead of having to rely on a plugged computer in order to recharge it.

This would make the Kobo more practical as someone could bring it on a camping trip for example.

I'm not sure why no one has done this on the cover of laptops yet...
Acteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can recharge without a computer by using any one of a huge variety of chargers meant for things like cell phones.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acteon View Post
I'm not sure why no one has done this on the cover of laptops yet...
Because even a power miserly netbook consumes about 20 W and in perfect conditions solar cells produce maybe 50mW per square inch. 10 x 7 = 70 square inches on the cover, so that's 3.5 W of available energy. So, to get 4 hours of laptop run time, you'd need to charge it for 6 in direct sunlight and that's being very optimistic.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
RonH
RonH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
batteries

Most of the battery problems could probably be solved in the next iteration of the Kobo by making the battery compartment accessible and using a commonly available cell phone battery.

Having said that, I don't have any problems with battery life in my Kobo 1.

– Ron
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Actually. you would need to have the solar cell on the front as well, as this is the side uppermost when the Kobo is near a light source and being used.
I am not sure how much the Kobo uses for power, my guess is nowhere near as much as a laptop.
We are getting a lot of solar panels installed on our roof next week so it's a topic uppermost in my mind. We will be producing 2.5 Kw of power - I guess that's like a giant solar cell for my house!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert