Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #18121
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Reading Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. He seems to be the best when it comes to dark fantasy books. It's my first book by him after the first law trilogy.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #18122
BookGyrlinMO
Connoisseur
BookGyrlinMO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Didn't do anything but read yesterday. Started and finished "You Are One of Them" by Elliott Holt. Am starting "The People in the Trees" by Hanya Yanagihara
BookGyrlinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #18123
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My 100th book of the year .

"Dalek I Loved You" by Nick Griffiths. An enormously enjoyable (for me) account of growing up in 1970s Britain as a fan of the BBC SF series "Doctor Who". Very nostalgic and hugely enjoyable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #18124
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm alternating classics and literature on one hand, along with happy trashy bestsellers on the other hand.

I just finished "Stolen Prey," by John Sandford, an enjoyable first-rate trashy novel.

If you like a quick read with little (if any) character development and lots of action, then I can recommend this one.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #18125
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm alternating classics and literature on one hand, along with happy trashy bestsellers on the other hand.

I just finished "Stolen Prey," by John Sandford, an enjoyable first-rate trashy novel.

If you like a quick read with little (if any) character development and lots of action, then I can recommend this one.

Don
I like the Sandford Virgil Flowers books better. Still trashy, but I can sort of like Virgil.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #18126
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My 100th book of the year .

"Dalek I Loved You".
And what a fitting one to celebrate it!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #18127
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I like the Sandford Virgil Flowers books better. Still trashy, but I can sort of like Virgil.

Helen

I'll give one with that character a try, too.

Thanks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #18128
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If I may... There is a LOT of character development in the 'Prey' series, just not in one book alone. If you start at the beginning of the series, you can follow the development of ALL the characters. "Stolen Prey" is the 22nd book in the series, and without reading the first 21 books, does stand alone as a fun read. But you miss out on all the little growth details about Lucas, Weather, Del, Letty, the two strong-arm cops, Virgil, etc., etc., that really make the books shine! Start at the beginning and find out why Lucas was kicked off the Cops, but winds up heading the BCA, and how he and Weather found themselves together, and why Sloan left to run a bar, and what Virgil caught in the last tournament....

Quote:
Helen
Virgil is great! I can't wait for the next installment. He's worthy of the trust that Lucas puts in him...
My wife prefers Kidd and LuEllen though. She thinks they are a good match!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #18129
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
If I may... There is a LOT of character development in the 'Prey' series, just not in one book alone. If you start at the beginning of the series, you can follow the development of ALL the characters. "Stolen Prey" is the 22nd book in the series, and without reading the first 21 books, does stand alone as a fun read. But you miss out on all the little growth details about Lucas, Weather, Del, Letty, the two strong-arm cops, Virgil, etc., etc., that really make the books shine! Start at the beginning and find out why Lucas was kicked off the Cops, but winds up heading the BCA, and how he and Weather found themselves together, and why Sloan left to run a bar, and what Virgil caught in the last tournament....

Virgil is great! I can't wait for the next installment. He's worthy of the trust that Lucas puts in him...
My wife prefers Kidd and LuEllen though. She thinks they are a good match!

Stitchawl
Well now I have to try Fool's Run. Oh well, lucky my library has a copy although it may take a while.

I've read several davenport novels and while they do get better IMO, I just did not like Davenport at all in the first one

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #18130
BookGyrlinMO
Connoisseur
BookGyrlinMO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGyrlinMO View Post
Didn't do anything but read yesterday. Started and finished "You Are One of Them" by Elliott Holt. Am starting "The People in the Trees" by Hanya Yanagihara
Changed my mind on "The People in the Trees"

Starting "Parable of the Sower" by Octavia Butler.

BookGyrlinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #18131
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I loved it, onto Royal Assassin!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #18132
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear. Fantasy is not my genre, but I've been looking for a work to my tastes. Hopefully this is it.

A friend is astonished I've never "even" read LotR. He showed me the movie and I watched, but didn't have the heart to tell him I was bored to tears.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 11-12-2013 at 09:48 PM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #18133
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Well now I have to try Fool's Run. Oh well, lucky my library has a copy although it may take a while.

I've read several davenport novels and while they do get better IMO, I just did not like Davenport at all in the first one

Helen
I think that in the first Davenport novel, Lucas didn't show enough depth to be likeable, yet still be the hardass that he really can be. That took time to develop, as it does as the series evolves.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #18134
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2

Ombria in Shadow
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #18135
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
A friend is astonished I've never "even" read LotR. He showed me the movie and I watched, but didn't have the heart to tell him I was bored to tears.
The movies are not the book. (Naturally enough, the movies concentrate a bit too much on the battle scenes, IMO.)

But you might well be bored to tears by the book as well. It's not to everyone's taste.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote