Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
save web pages as ebook

Hi,

Could you please recomend the best software for saving webpages to an ebook. My girlfriend has just started a course and i would like to put articles on her kindle.

Thanks.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It's easy. Just highlight the text in the browser, and paste it into Notepad. Save it as a text file, and copy it to the Documents folder of the Kindle.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Could you please recomend the best software for saving webpages to an ebook.
Thanks.
You can use Instapaper or the GrabMyBooks Firefox plug-in.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
I don't know if it's the best existing tool but I find very useful GrabMyBooks. It's a Firefox addon that allows you to grab content from the web and easily convert it in an epub/mobi file. With this addon you can grab an entire page, a selection or the content of a link and edit directly the ebook (add/delete pages, add cover, edit metadata etc.)

It doesn't convert directly to mobi so you need to install Calibre software (or use calibre portable version) and then configure GrabMyBooks to use it. All the instructions are here: GrabMyBooks http://www.grabmybooks.com/ and here: http://www.grabmybooks.com/userGuide.html

Along with GrabMyBooks you can use another Firefox addon "AutoPager" that automatically loads next pages when you reach the end of a page. https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/addon/autopager/

And finally for wikipedia (I don't know if your girlfriend want to use it but just in case..) you can use Wikipedia's book creator feature, here the explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Books. In this case choose ODT (OpenDocuemntText) as ebook format since you can easily convert it in mobi with calibre.

EDIT: Sorry for GrabMyBooks repetition but Doitsu has been quicker than me! Btw GrabMyBooks doesn't require an account as Instapaper.

Last edited by LucyLu; 09-02-2012 at 04:40 AM.
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the replies.

Grab my books is looking like the one i will use. It allows me to pull multiple articles together into one book, just what she needs.

I'm so glad i found this site, i've learnt loads in such a small time.
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I use send to kindle, a browser plugin
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I just use the save function.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I use dotEPUB to grab a single article, or Readlists to put several together.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You can use Instapaper or the GrabMyBooks Firefox plug-in.
Installed GrabMyBooks and love it! It's simple, as are the books it produces, but the formatting is consistent with what is shown on the web page. I've been able to take the results into Sigil to perform the minor touch ups I wanted.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
One advantage I find GrabMyBooks has over dotEpub or Instapaper is that the content retrieval runs from your local PC, so if you have access to a website based on your IP address (e.g. an institutional subscription to New Scientist) you can get protected content.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
GrabMyBooks looks really useful, just watched the video. Wish it could save directly to mobi, but otherwise looks great.

Edit: Guess I should have read a little closer. It does convert to mobi if you have Calibre installed and give it the path info. It's very slightly clunky, but still works well. First test came up fine in Kindle4PC.

Last edited by carld; 09-04-2012 at 07:03 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
alanHd
Addict

I have been saving as epub with grabmybooks, then edit using sigil, then i use calibre to convert to mobi.