Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #31
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
the first book was ok, it wasn't amazing but it was decent. the second book 'fool moon' was better IMO. i'm going to give grave peril a go starting sometime this week. since i'm on the dresden kick why not continue
Thanks for that info! So maybe, if I get through Storm Front I might like the rest of the series better. Good to know, because I still am curious about it!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #32
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Thanks for that info! So maybe, if I get through Storm Front I might like the rest of the series better. Good to know, because I still am curious about it!
at worst you read a 2nd book, they're not long reads and you can get through them pretty quick. at least it's felt like that for the first two reads.

there's a lot to build on from the second book but with the amount of action and crazy ass kickin' things going on i'm not sure how book 3 can top it

i've been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately and this series seems to be pretty good, rated up there with what i've read. i'm just kind of bummed that i didn't get on it earlier and now i'm playing catch up with 11 more to go plus side jobs (which i may or may not get to).
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Keep reading. I thought the Storm Front was okay but I wasn't sure I wanted to continue. Because of the good reviews here on MR I did and I'm glad because the series gets better with each book (I've read the first 7).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #34
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I found Storm front to be quite good read but I didn't continue with rest of the series. I started the Codex Alera series and it was such a gripping story that I couldn't stop reading and finished it in two weeks
Now I will start with the Dresden series again.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #35
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
recomendation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
at worst you read a 2nd book, they're not long reads and you can get through them pretty quick. at least it's felt like that for the first two reads.

there's a lot to build on from the second book but with the amount of action and crazy ass kickin' things going on i'm not sure how book 3 can top it

i've been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately and this series seems to be pretty good, rated up there with what i've read. i'm just kind of bummed that i didn't get on it earlier and now i'm playing catch up with 11 more to go plus side jobs (which i may or may not get to).
i recommend that you read the stories in side jobs along with the novels. they are all labeled as to when they occur so you can read them chronologically interleaved with the novels.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i recommend that you read the stories in side jobs along with the novels. they are all labeled as to when they occur so you can read them chronologically interleaved with the novels.
That's what I've decided to do. The prequel-ish story (with the little girl) was interesting. Although, I hope there is one that bridges the gap between then and now, especially where Murphy us concerned.

Last edited by Nyssa; 09-19-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #37
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool i think not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
That's what I've decided to do. The prequel-ish story (with the little girl) was interesting. Although, I hope there is one that bridges the gap between then and now, especially where Murphy us concerned.
not that i'm aware of.

on another note i started re-reading fool moon last night.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-19-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #38
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, well do we get an idea of how their working relationship started?

I've just purchased Grave Peril. Technically, I have 2 books and a short story ahead of it on my TBRN (To Be Read Now) list as I'm trying not to read any one series too quickly.

I have already started one of the books, I'm having trouble getting into the short story (which is a prequel/bonus story to the other book on the list), and I really want to see what happens next in Dresden.

Decisions, decisions....
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #39
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool chuckle

Quote:
Hmmm, well do we get an idea of how their working relationship started?

I've just purchased Grave Peril. Technically, I have 2 books and a short story ahead of it on my TBRN (To Be Read Now) list as I'm trying not to read any one series too quickly.

I have already started one of the books, I'm having trouble getting into the short story (which is a prequel/bonus story to the other book on the list), and I really want to see what happens next in Dresden.

Decisions, decisions....
chuckle
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #40
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Nyssa D&D player?

On the topic finished watching the TV series, will definitely start reading the books (well when I get some money so I can buy 2 or 3 at least). Loved episode 11 btw, was my favorite.

Why didn't they want to continue the series? They were so good :/
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #41
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool i have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
Nyssa D&D player?

On the topic finished watching the TV series, will definitely start reading the books (well when I get some money so I can buy 2 or 3 at least). Loved episode 11 btw, was my favorite.

Why didn't they want to continue the series? They were so good :/
i don't know, but here's an interesting post (i've no idea where it was posted or by whom) i stumbled on and saved as a text file back then:

Quote:
Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:58 AM
Despite it's high ratings and audience that grew by leaps and bounds as the show progressed, SciFi... for reasons only known to themselves... decided not to renew the show. There are a number of theories as to why and most center around Bonnie Hammer, who was the network president at the time. Ms. Hammer was obviously NOT a science fiction/fantasy fan and her selection of programming (reality shows, wrestling, etc) proved that she was attempting to lead the network away from that direction. It is also rumored that she had a disagreement with the producers/creative team behind the Dresden Files and because she did not get her way, she threw a tantrum and vowed that the show, no matter how well it might do, would never see a second season.

When the limited run of the show was over, the fans wrote letters to SciFi inquiring about the fate of the show. We were given excuse after excuse and made to wait month after month until finally it was announced (covertly, at the tail end of some other SciFi announcement) that the show would not be renewed. It was implyied that the reason was because the actor's contracts had run out, but that was a diversionary excuse meant to lay the blame on others rather than take responsibility themselves.

The fans then began a petition (which you can still sign... see the topic at the top of the forum page...) as well as a massive email and letter-writing campaign. All we recieved from SciFi has been stony silence. Not one person has recieved any response back from the network. SciFi continues to try and convince everybody, in numerous articles and interviews that the reason the show was cancelled was due to poor ratings. This is an outright LIE. The show was consistantly rated as number THREE of their shows and on at least one, possibly two occasions, beat out Battlestar Galactica for the number ONE spot.... yet SciFi continues to claim the Dresden Files was their "worst scripted failure". I guess they forgot about the dismal performance of such bombs as 'Painkiller Jane' and 'Flash Gordon'....

We fans are not giving up. Many shows have indeed been brought back after years of cancellation, so we keep trying to rub SciFi's nose in the Dresden Files every chance we get. This forum continues to stay active and there are numerous other sites devoted to the show on the internet. One of the best known and most active is dresdencity.org, which is hosted by The Blue Whale Pub, along with many other forums devoted to other supernatural shows such as Dark Shadows. Check it out!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #42
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
Nyssa D&D player?
Briefly, yes. Started "late". Wish I could play again, actually.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #43
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool larp

View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi
Nyssa D&D player?
Quote:
Briefly, yes. Started "late". Wish I could play again, actually.
jim butcher & his son participate in larp (live action role-playing).
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #44
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
View Post
jim butcher & his son participate in larp (live action role-playing).
I would feel absolutely ridiculous taking part in larp.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #45
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

me too

Quote:
I would feel absolutely ridiculous taking part in larp.
oh, me too, but maybe 20 years ago i wouldn't have.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy