Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #31
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebski View Post
Agreed the hardware is excellent but there are already too many reasons for not buying Archos that this is just the final reason for me to look elsewhere.
Too many reasons like...?!

If you find an equally priced device with same specs, without the flaws you mentioned (missing SD slot and...) that will be available for X-Mas, please tell us - I'm sure we'd all like to know!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #32
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I'm with gerraldo. With a 60GB HDD a SDHC just seems pointless. Well you can probably download the files through Wifi faster than the time it takes to pull your USB and transfer info that way.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #33
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Do as you like, but what is an SD card good for in a device with 60GB+ harddisk-space?! At first it was copying data - a USB-stick or SDHC adapter is a good solution for that. Now it's needed to sit in the built-in SD-slot... What for?! To have additional 1-16GBs???

I have SD cards in my eBook reader, my MP3 player, my digital camera and my PDA + I have Memory sticks in my PSP and one of my mobile phones. All of them are used for data transfer and to have more memory. What I always carry with me is a fast 16GB USB stick with important portable software and data and approx. 10GB free space for data transfer.

BTW: If there would've been a built-in card reader I'd opted for a SDHC/Memory stick compatible one anyways... Would've been nice, but SDHC or not - so what?! (just my 2 cents)
I'm kinda with you here, Gerraldo. While the SDHC option would have been nice, with a. the usb capability and b. the 60 gig hard drive, it's not a necessity for me. Sure, it'd be nice to have it flush to leave the card in, but even I don't have 60 gigs worth of ebooks, and all that's getting stored on this (if I get one) is books and pictures, plus of course the space for installed apps, but even if I installed every ebook reading software known to man, it's not going to affect it that much. Also, anything stored on this will be backed up on either my main hard drive, my SD card for my EZ Reader, or on DVD media; if not all three. I believe in redundancy... *grin*. By the time I have enough ebooks for it to get crowded it'll either be obsolete, or there'll be another "wonder device" out there I'll be ready to get.
I'm not saying this is the solution for everyone no matter what...there IS no such thing. But for me it's dang near perfect.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #34
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Yep, and the Archos will have a much better price too! I'm waiting on this device SOOOOOO much...

This'll be THE Xmas present to myself! Seems to be the ideal companion for me (reading, notetaking, web, videos etc.) with WiFi and 3G + easy changeable battery etc.
Yeah. Thoug alas, no hdmi... Else it's tempting as carry it around pc, because it does 3G and all. As well as dvb-t tuner But what's the point with a vga output ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #35
thebigalphamale
thebigalphamale began at the beginning.

Device: u820, asus t91, eee pc
the sdhc card slot missing is not a deal breaker for me but i am about it not being there... the performance seems under par for whats currently out there in terms of umpcs...esp at this price point...i do hope they come out with a nice case for it so that all ports are avail and has some straps on the bottom for your hands to make it nice and secure... ill be keeping an eye on this for xmas and see how reviews and mods are in the next few weeks/month
thebigalphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 04:25 AM   #36
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
No HDMI port? "That's a deal breaker ladies!"

Maybe it not. I want to see the PDF viewer and a comic reader in action.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #37
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
No HDMI port? "That's a deal breaker ladies!"

Maybe it not. I want to see the PDF viewer and a comic reader in action.
The best free ComicReader for Windows is ComicRack AND you can use it for PDFs (AND it can display 2 pages in landscape mode)!

You can find it HERE

And... TADAAA... Archos 9 is available in the Archos shop (Next shipment : beginning of November) at $ 500,-- (sadly it's € 500,-- in Europe, but the $ 500,-- convert nicely to € 340,--...)
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #38
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Still says "coming soon" for me, but I'm in the US.

ETA: Well, now I can preorder it, but the Archos store raised the price 50.00. Still not a deal breaker, but not making me happy, either.

Erwin Comp. is still showing it at $499.

Last edited by phenomshel; 11-06-2009 at 01:57 PM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote