Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #76
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
good, reproducible
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #77
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Ok, another try: get RunDebug running (follow the instructions on getting the Lua package) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83999 and the referenced one. Within RunDebug open dr800+.desktop . Read (and post here!) the message why this dr800+ cannot start.
do you have a strong heart? do you like to feel the danger?

ok, ok... in [1] you can find "rxvt", a terminal emulation program for the DR800, something like the command line application you can use on a windows machine when you hit Windows_key+r and type "cmd".

If you install this program, you could type the commands with the virtual keyboard and see the errors.

Thus, install rxvt and run it.

Then type next commands:
Code:
# cd /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs
# cat dr800+.desktop
# ./_dr800+/dr800+.sh
Each line is a command, you don't have to type "# " (i.e., start with "cd..." in the first one, "cat..." in the second one, and so on). And don't forget to press ENTER at the end of the line.

Then take a photo with a mobile phone or camera and post it here.
In case you couldn't take the photo, copy and post the errors showed in the device screen.

Yes, it can be quite complex if you haven't used a computer from the command line, and hard to type all these strange characters in the virtual keyboard, but i can't think anything better.

Iņigo

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81119
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #78
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Finally something worked, I got your terminal emulator running. A couple of things. In your rxvt thread [1] Walter822 had exactly the same error message trying to run a desktop file that I am having. I must say that 'misery loves company'.

I have attached the photo, as per your suggestion, of the terminal emulator. I am surprised at the results. The first "not found" error was a typing mistake by me. The second was not. It says that the .sh file is not found in the _dr800+ directory yet I can see it. I tried renaming the directory and the file back to the same names just in case there were any nonreadable characters present. It didn't make any difference. I think that one of my earlier attachments shows that the file and directory are there. The names certainly appear to be correct.

Thanks for all your time so far...........jackie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	58261  
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #79
garywitscher
Enthusiast
garywitscher began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
One more idea, even though it seems unlikely to me. Make sure that the dr800+.sh file is executable. In windows this is not done the same way it is in linux, so check this using "rxvt" on your DR800 by going to "_dr800+" folder and typing "ls -l" (no quotes). The first column in the list will be the permissions column and should read "-rwxr-xr-x" (no quotes). If it's not then set the permissions using the command "chmod 755 dr800+.sh" (no quotes).

Then run the command again and see what response you get.
garywitscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #80
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

My guess is Jackie's Windows put all extensions to the upper case. See her Explorer snapshots https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=71, pictures 2 and 3, column Type. Why this happens - this is a big question ..

Jackie, please type in the rxvt session

cd _dr800+
ls -l

Please post what you see there (photo would serve just fine).
Old 09-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #81
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywitscher View Post
One more idea, even though it seems unlikely to me. Make sure that the dr800+.sh file is executable. In windows this is not done the same way it is in linux, so check this using "rxvt" on your DR800 by going to "_dr800+" folder and typing "ls -l" (no quotes). The first column in the list will be the permissions column and should read "-rwxr-xr-x" (no quotes). If it's not then set the permissions using the command "chmod 755 dr800+.sh" (no quotes).

Then run the command again and see what response you get.
If this is a VFAT formatted SD card, it should have execution permisions unless /etc/fstab has been modified to not allow that.

Anyway, we are making progress... ;-)

EDIT: another idea. Instead of:
Code:
# ./_dr800+/dr800+.sh
type:
Code:
# /bin/sh ./_dr800+/dr800+.sh
if this works, type:
Code:
# cat ./_dr800+/dr800+.sh
and post the screenshot and the contents of that file (dr800+.sh).

Last edited by Iņigo; 09-16-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #82
Picea73
Picea73 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Hello everybody

I am a new DR800S user and I am trying to install the dr800+ program to improve the reading of pdfs.

First I want to thank all of you whom are improving this device and wasting time to help us explaining how to install and run the programs you created.

As Jackie, I followed all the steps described in this topics (including extracting the uds.DR1000 by means of Dima-tr method) but, as Jackie, my device still reply "The 'dr800+.desktop' application cannot be opened. Possibly the application is already open. Close it first and try again."

Thus, be sure that I am a very interested reader of this topic.
Unfortunately, I am not able to help you in programming but if you feel that I could help you in something, feel free to ask.

Franįois (I apologize for my poor english!)
Picea73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #83
dima_tr
Groupie

Ok, now it becomes more serious. I'll do the testing with my Windows XP laptop.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #84
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Well we keep moving - not sure if it is forward or not but I think so.

I have included three screen shots. None of my authorities have an "x" in them. I don't know if that is a problem or not. I changed the .sh file only and that didn't solve the problem.

I tried the suggested ./ command and received some "not found" and some unusual messages. I did this from the Programs directory so it is possible that I wasn't in the right place to run the command. The outputs from this can be seen in .sh1 and .sh2.

One of my attachments shows the authorities before and after I made the change. The font in terminal emulation is extraordinarily tiny and the first character is hidden by the iRex frame.

The attachments .sh1 and .sh2 are the same screen. .sh2 simply shows one word that was chopped off the first one but, overall wasn't quite as clear.

Thanks everyone. Francois - I could only wish that I had another language anywhere close to your English. I took very basic French about three or four times before I decided that languages were obviously not my forte.

Jackie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	authority.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	58278   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH1.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	58279   Click image for larger version

Name:	sh2.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	58280  
Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #85
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
Well we keep moving - not sure if it is forward or not but I think so.

I have included three screen shots. None of my authorities have an "x" in them. I don't know if that is a problem or not. I changed the .sh file only and that didn't solve the problem.

I tried the suggested ./ command and received some "not found" and some unusual messages. I did this from the Programs directory so it is possible that I wasn't in the right place to run the command. The outputs from this can be seen in .sh1 and .sh2.

One of my attachments shows the authorities before and after I made the change. The font in terminal emulation is extraordinarily tiny and the first character is hidden by the iRex frame.

The attachments .sh1 and .sh2 are the same screen. .sh2 simply shows one word that was chopped off the first one but, overall wasn't quite as clear.

Thanks everyone. Francois - I could only wish that I had another language anywhere close to your English. I took very basic French about three or four times before I decided that languages were obviously not my forte.

Jackie
Ok, it looks like there is an error/typo/bug in the script.

I must leave now, but I'll take a look at it in a few hours. Expect a fix then.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #86
dima_tr
Groupie

Jackie: lines 2, 4 and 48 - empty lines (ok, non-visible symbol). Open the file in Notepad and remove these 3 lines. Save, copy to device, try again.

Iņigo: rxvt works because launcher points directly to the executable, but here and with RunDebug we work through a script . A guess would be stupid Windows messed Unix end-of-line chars in .sh file .. I'm wrong, the problem is in the script.

Oh, and both scripts are produced by .. Iņigo

Last edited by dima_tr; 09-16-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #87
jjansen
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Jackie: lines 2, 4 and 48 - empty lines (ok, non-visible symbol). Open the file in Notepad and remove these 3 lines. Save, copy to device, try again.)
Found the three "blank" lines and removed them. No change, same error message.................Jackie
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #88
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Found the three "blank" lines and removed them. No change, same error message.................Jackie
Back.

I've tried the file https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1283722193 in the first message of the thread and it works perfectly on a clean run of the emulator.

With this, and looking at the errors in messages #78 and #84, I suppose the problem is with the way you uncompress the file and copy them to the device, specially regarding "dr800+.sh" file.

More tests:
Uncompress the attached file (test.zip) and copy the two files in "test" folder to SD_card/Programs/_dr800+ directory. Only the files, not the parent "test" folder. Also, don't view or edit them while on the computer.

And then, from the DR800 terminal, type:

Code:
# cd /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_dr800+
# ./test.sh
# ./dr800+.sh
And post the screenshots.

Iņigo
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (1.3 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by Iņigo; 09-16-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #89
jjansen
J

YEAH!!! I think the new script file fixed the problem. I did copy the files over as you suggested. I have to admit that I tested the desktop file again before I went into the terminal editor. It worked this time!

FYI - I did download the file at the beginning of this thread twice in case anything had got corrupted on the download. My system would have defaulted to using WINZIP to unzip the files.

Francois - try and download and recopy the dr800+.sh file from the previous post. I hope it works for you also.

My thanks to everyone. You have been extremely helpful in all this.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #90
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
YEAH!!! I think the new script file fixed the problem. I did copy the files over as you suggested. I have to admit that I tested the desktop file again before I went into the terminal editor. It worked this time!

FYI - I did download the file at the beginning of this thread twice in case anything had got corrupted on the download. My system would have defaulted to using WINZIP to unzip the files.

Francois - try and download and recopy the dr800+.sh file from the previous post. I hope it works for you also.

My thanks to everyone. You have been extremely helpful in all this.
now, enjoy your readings!

Btw, this last script is the same than the included in the original package. I just compressed with other program.

Last edited by Iņigo; 09-16-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Tags
dr800+