Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The build linked to below solves the floppy drive problem. (I'm amazed there are still computers being sold with floppy drives thought)
I have 5 computers, the newest is 6 years old (and the only one without a built in Floppy, because it was a Laptop).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
laura3937
laura3937 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
The build linked to below solves the floppy drive problem. (I'm amazed there are still computers being sold with floppy drives thought)
Computer is old, but not that old. Had it built with an A: drive because had a ton of personal files on 3.5 floppies that did not want to lose. Have now saved those files to my harddrive so don't use the A: drive that often. Disabling it is not a big concern.

But, once again, any advice you can give me about getting books to format properly will be appreciated. Problem seems to be with books published more recently since older ones have been converted okay.

Although I am downloading to a Kindle2 that doesn't seem to be the problem since when I review the books in Calibre they also have the weird formatting.
laura3937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
I'm amazed there are still computers being sold with floppy drives though
Kovid, I insist on having a floppy drive on all of my PCs. This is still a handy way to handle data in numerous cases.

Is the build you provided in Message # 5 upthread still a good solution?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes it is.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Elonex500eb-User
Now a Kindle3 User ..lol
Elonex500eb-User began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3+wiFi no 3g
I also experienced a noisy hard drive, but using Calibre 8.40. and no device attached. So I upgraded to the latest version, the noise persisted.

I thought the problem might be because my library is saved to an external HD connected via USB, so I relocated to a secondary internal drive. Still the noise persisted.

I dont have this problem with any other application.

Therefore I had decided to only use Calibre for format conversions and use Kindle for Pc as my primary library manager. In preparation I tidied up my library by deleting all formats other than mobi.

Before actually removing my library from Calibre I googled 'Calibre noisy hard disc' and found this post.

Having seen the comments here, it occurred to me to check what if anything Calibre was auto scanning.

When I started Calibre a few minutes ago there is no hard disc noise !

So I reverted my library to the external drive still NO NOISE !

My experience would seem to suggest that the problem is something to do with the format of some ebooks, the ones I deleted in my clean up process included epub and mpb.

I haven't tried restoring these deleted books to see if the noise returns....I dont want to tempt fate...I'm just happy that somehow or other the problem seems to be resolved.

Ps.
Used to use the Elonex but now on Kindle3

Last edited by Elonex500eb-User; 02-28-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Elonex500eb-User is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
This is a really OLD thread that you re-opened. Please don't resurrect ancient threads

Do you have a 'Connect to folder' set up? Calibre polls that to see if anything changes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
Elonex500eb-User
Now a Kindle3 User ..lol
Elonex500eb-User began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3+wiFi no 3g
Hi,

Sorry about the re-opening.

As I reported my 'noise' has stopped, and I'm still noise free.

Under the 'Connect/share' menu, 'Connect to Folder' seems to default to 'Administrator' ie the root of my user acc, but since its not set to look in a specific content directory I assume its not really active.

If the noise returns I'll repost under a new thread.
Elonex500eb-User is offline   Reply With Quote