Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #16
michelar
michelar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When you disconnected the device, did it process the new book and show it in the home screen or the library list?
After disconnecting the device, i see the new book on the kobo.

Quote:
The metadata.calibre that you attached looks fine. Looking at it, the first few books are kepubs, so they shouldn't match with anything in your calibre library.
kepubs are books preinstalled on kobo. I didn't remove them and of course i don't see in calibre library

Quote:
The last book is the problem. The title is "Il posto di ognuno - 7". Is that exactly what is displayed in the calibre library? And what does the device show on its library list?
yes, i had it before and the title is the same in calibre library. I deleted every books (except the kepubs) to do some test in order to understand the problem. Having too many books could mislead info.
I sent just that one (i already sent it to my prs-t1 sony without any problem) to Kobo. On kobo i see (i'm just looking at it) "Il posto di ognuno - 7".

Quote:
Could you also try sending a book from calibre whose title and title sort are identical? That means it can't start with an article such as "Il" or "The" or "A" for English. I'm curious about whether that will work properly.
I will try

I did the test with several books but i sent you the log after sending only one.

it seems that if i connect the kobo to 0.9.1 version after sending books with 0.9.3, in some way calibre cleans some data and just after that i can see the books in calibre 0.9.3 (sometimes correctly displayed also in library and not only in device)

Unfortunately i have saved the wrong metadata.calibre (different book) after connecting to 0.9.1
michelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelar View Post
it seems that if i connect the kobo to 0.9.1 version after sending books with 0.9.3, in some way calibre cleans some data and just after that i can see the books in calibre 0.9.3 (sometimes correctly displayed also in library and not only in device)

Unfortunately i have saved the wrong metadata.calibre (different book) after connecting to 0.9.1
Let me check something:

- Using 0.9.3 to copy a book to the device, disconnect the device and reconnect, and the book doesn't show in the list
- Connect the same device to 0.9.1 and the device list does show the book.
- Then go back to 0.9.3 and the books are shown in the device list.

Is that correct?

OK, I've just gone back and looked at the log you posted in the bug report. The errors in the log are the problem. Because of them, the details of the books getting read properly from the device, hence they aren't in the device list and they don't get into the metadata.calibre file. When you used 0.9.1, this worked correctly and the metadata.calibre holds valid details for each book. When you go back to 0.9.3, the it reads the valid metadata.calibre, uses a different code path and avoids the bug. Then the books are displayed in the device list correctly.

If I am correct about the scenario, I have a fix. I just need to little more testing to prove it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
michelar

Quote:
Let me check something:

- Using 0.9.3 to copy a book to the device, disconnect the device and reconnect, and the book doesn't show in the list
- Connect the same device to 0.9.1 and the device list does show the book.
- Then go back to 0.9.3 and the books are shown in the device list.

Is that correct?
Yes, it's correct.

If you want, when I'll go home i can do some other test with just a book with no A/IL as you asked and send you the metadata.calibre with the changes done by 0.9.1

Now that i know how to reproduce, it's easy.

On the italian forum a user solved the problem using :
plugin "Modify Epub" :
Remove all metadata jackets
- Modify @page and body margin styles
- Insert or replace cover
- Update Metadata

I don't know if it's the same problem. I will also try that case

I'writing here, but if you prefer i can send you email about this issue

Thanks very much for the support

Last edited by michelar; 10-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
michelar

Quote:

Could you also try sending a book from calibre whose title and title sort are identical? That means it can't start with an article such as "Il" or "The" or "A" for English. I'm curious about whether that will work properly.
You are right !

I just try with a book with title "Virals". Evrything is ok with that book.

Close calibre and reopen and i see it on my device

Thank you again
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have put the fix for the error you saw in the logs in. There are a couple of other things done as well. This will be in this weeks build.

As to the other problem, my setup is not showing this problem at the moment. It is possible that one of the changes I have just done has fixed it. While looking at performance, I finally worked out why a chunk of code was being run in both the get and send jobs. There is some code in there that might have caused a state to get flipped each time. That might have caused this. In any case, I'll keep trying to break it.
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
StevenP94
StevenP94 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have a similar problem, and discovered that some ePub has an UUID inside that is different from the library one, so you upload a book and all seems ok, but at the next sync, calibre get the ePub uuid and use it to update metadata.calibre on the device: the book is no more recognized from calibre. It is on the device but having another id is not recognized.
StevenP94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP94 View Post
I have a similar problem, and discovered that some ePub has an UUID inside that is different from the library one, so you upload a book and all seems ok, but at the next sync, calibre get the ePub uuid and use it to update metadata.calibre on the device: the book is no more recognized from calibre. It is on the device but having another id is not recognized.
That is correct and is happening it at least one case reported to me. But, when the UUID match fails, calibre also tries other things. These include using the author and title. This test is failing here.

Also, the circumstances under which the epub is read for metadata is limited. It only happens if the path for the file stored in the devices database does not match one in the metadata.calibre. Deleting the file or adding a book outside of calibre are the main reasons.