Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Kobo and Adobe Digital Editions

I have a Kobo Touch and I use ADE from time to time. I plan to give my wife a Kobo for Christmas. Will she be able to use ADE with her Kobo? In other words, can two users with different Adobe and Kobo accounts use the same ADE on the same computer?
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you use two Kobo accounts and two ADE accounts, you will not be able to read each others' books. ADE does the DRM thing using a combination of your user info from your Kobo account and the ADE account info. When one combination is being used, any books with another combination are "locked" and unreadable. You can also only have one Kobo account active on any one device.

You will also run into problems with having to redownload your books (and hers when she is the one connecting) using your Kobo desktop application.

There are annoyances related to bookmarking and syncing if you share the same account, but in our house, we work around that by not reading the same book at the same time. Other couples I know share an account but one generally reads the Adobe versions, and the other reads kepub. With two Touches running off the same account, I suppose Reading Life and Pulse (when it gets to the Touch) might get more complicated.

The short version of this is that it can be done, but you may want to weigh the pros and cons.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
So you can't share an ade account with different Kobo accounts?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't tried. You can't have books from both accounts on the same reader and I believe each book would be "tied" to the account that imported them into ADE.

Now, if you happen to import the books into Calibre and if the DRM happened to magically disappear, you would be golden.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I don't think there will be much trouble sharing the same ADE and Kobo account. If you make different accounts there is no way to LEGALLY share your books. Most of us hear have cured the DRM Infection which means no problemo.

Apprentice Alf
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You can have different Kobo account against the same ADE account, no problem at Kobo or ADE (I know, my email for Kobo and ADE account -the key- is different). You could use the same ADE program with different ADE account, authorizing and deauthorizing the accounts, but you would run out of authorizations (I know, I made that mistake once).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The only other thing to keep in mind is that if using the social features appeals to you (and Kobo CEO Serbinis recently said Pulse is coming to Touch), you can expect that (at least initially, long term who knows) you will be using kepub books to do that part. Remember, you can only have one active kobo account on any given reader.

I am sure Terisa is right about the two Kobo-one ADE part. Just remember the part about the Touch only being good for one account at a time--and also that each time you sign in and out of the desktop app to change accounts, your books will have to reload.

Last edited by taming; 10-31-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: misspelled Terisa's name
Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Sounds as if the best route is to share an account.

Thanks for the input everyone.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You can have different Kobo account against the same ADE account, no problem at Kobo or ADE
I agree. So far as I know, this is the way it works for every ebook store except Sony. None of the usual stores "know" anything about your AdobeID. You get a ACSM "ticket" from Kobo (say) and it can be redeemed by any AdobeID to get the actual ePub locked to that AdobeID. Sometimes the ACSM to ePub process is hidden by your web browser which automatically invokes ADE, but even in this case it is the web browser and ADE on your PC that gets the Adobe ePub (not Kobo). Sony does store your AdobeID and redeems the ACSM for you as part of its PC and MAC apps. I much prefer the Kobo approach.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Slightly off topic but perhaps useful information is that on the VOX under "ACCOUNT DETAILS" where the email address that is associated with your Kobo account is shown, there is a button that says "SWITCH USER".

This may be a way to have multiple users on a single device.

I have not tried the button!

Just FYI.

Maybe they will add this to the Touch in some future firmware?

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
gwenythlove
gwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Vox, iPhone
Out of curiosity, how does one get Adobe Digital Editions to work on the Kobo Vox. It's driving me a little bonkers.

Thanks!
gwenythlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I dont believe you can right now!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You can use a reader app like Aldiko that will work with Adobe ADE books. The Kobo app is only for kepub and drm-free ePUBS (well as far as book formats).
Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
gwenythlove
gwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watchgwenythlove is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Vox, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You can use a reader app like Aldiko that will work with Adobe ADE books. The Kobo app is only for kepub and drm-free ePUBS (well as far as book formats).
Thanks. I spent a few hours working on it and figured out a workaround for now. I wrote a post here.

http://rantsnscribbles.blogspot.com/...netgalley.html

The good news is NetGalley contacted me after and let me know they were working on this with Kobo. So hopefully they will fix it.
gwenythlove is offline   Reply With Quote