Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Sequential Posting

I know it's not a violation of the rules, but I wonder if it could be strongly suggested that people not sequential post. At a minimum, it's inelegant. Generally, it's irritating, to have to scroll through the same gobbledygook of avatars, slogans and sigs, just to read another short post from the same poster as the one above. And the one above that. And the one above that. I must admit I finally cracked this morning, when I was catching up on one thread and saw no fewer than six posts in a row from one poster. Basic netiquette says don't, and I figure that people do it out of ignorance, laziness or general buttheadedness, but a recommendation not to do so could help with all of these - perhaps combined with a pointer to the multi-quote function, for those who really don't know better/how.

Sometimes, there's a good reason for a sequential post, mostly having to do with time since the last post when few will see the edit. Sometimes a dramatic shift in theme could warrant it. And sometimes, it's just going to happen. But six in a row? Puh-leeze.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It really isn't sequential posting, it's going through an active thread after a day or two away and commenting on specific posts. Especially if those original posts were in response to your prior posts.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Same here -- coming back after a day or two and responding to seven different trains of thought by different people... why should I cram all that into one gigantic ten-foot-long post?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The original post may span pages
I answer in order, rather than go back and try to find 'todays' start
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@issybird. I do understand your frustration. However, I think the alternative could often turn out to be much worse.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Disabling signatures and/or avatars can make it less annoying.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It really isn't sequential posting, it's going through an active thread after a day or two away and commenting on specific posts. Especially if those original posts were in response to your prior posts.
No reason not to multi-quote; that's what it's for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Same here -- coming back after a day or two and responding to seven different trains of thought by different people... why should I cram all that into one gigantic ten-foot-long post?
It's longer still when it's a bunch of individual posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The original post may span pages
I answer in order, rather than go back and try to find 'todays' start
All you have to do is hit the multi-quote icon as you read, and then the relevant posts are listed in whatever order you want. Or maybe I'm missing something; I don't quite get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@issybird. I do understand your frustration. However, I think the alternative could often turn out to be much worse.
Heh. I'd still like to try. And most seem to be able to multi-quote without catastrophe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Disabling signatures and/or avatars can make it less annoying.
I do have signatures disabled. However, I find avatars more helpful than not when skimming a thread.

Well, it was just a suggestion. Some boards don't allow sequential posting at all, which I do think is a little draconian. To me, it's the issues of courtesy and elegance, akin to limits on image size. From what I'm reading here, those who favor sequential posting are thinking more about their own convenience.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's longer still when it's a bunch of individual posts.

From what I'm reading here, those who favor sequential posting are thinking more about their own convenience.
I do use the multi-quote, when following one line of thought across multiple peoples' posts. But I try to avoid multi-quoting totally different flows, because avoiding extra signatures is not an especial goal of mine.

I don't want to put up intimidating walls of text and posts that double the height of a page unless it is unavoidable.

It has NOTHING to do with convenience -- in fact it is less convenient (on my part) to break up the posts...
Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have never found detailed instructions on multi quote usage.
What I tried using MY LOGIC did not work

I want to select a portion of the text: Hit the button type my reply

I do not want to read the entire thread (to determine if there will be additional posts that will need a reply) and lose the train of thought I had about that message. Just different strokes
Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I do not want to read the entire thread (to determine if there will be additional posts that will need a reply) and lose the train of thought I had about that message. Just different strokes
This ^
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I always 'try' to read all the new posts before responding, no point is saying what's already been said. I do use multi quote - providing the quoted posts are 'in the same train of thought'.

Occasionally I've noticed a string of sequential posts that are not in response to any other posts and add little or no value to the threads raison d'être. And I find those particularly irritating.

I hide avatars and sigs - IMO they're a waste of bandwidth.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I always 'try' to read all the new posts before responding, no point is saying what's already been said. I do use multi quote - providing the quoted posts are 'in the same train of thought'.

BR
This.^^
Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Occasionally I've noticed a string of sequential posts that are not in response to any other posts and add little or no value to the threads raison d'être. And I find those particularly irritating.

I hide avatars and sigs - IMO they're a waste of bandwidth.

BR
Sure there is
Who believes a single poster