Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #46
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Well it sounds quite workable. other than a touch screen with virtual keyboard or a QWERTY keyboard ala Kindle, it is probably the best way to go. The other alternatives would bring the costs up.
Depends how often you'll have to use it
I've been through several iterations of entering data that way (via xbox and a controller) and it gets old real quick.
You'd think a new kobo would have a keyboard or something... all i see is wifi, some added bits like dictionary and some more screen contrast. Hardly a leap forward, more like a leap sideways... maybe diagonally forward.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #47
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well there are other options if you are not happy with your ereader. I alternate between my PRS-300 and Kobo. Now the Sony is a seriously nice piece of kit but it does have "niggles" I am using my Kobo a lot more now to read on.

Kobo are being smart. They own the lower end of the market with a simple, easy to use ereader that will allow purchases from a plethora of ebook retailers.

I was considering a K3 regardless of Amazon's walled garden approach and that hideous keyboard or the PRS-650 which in true Sony style is overpriced.

However now the Ko2 is out, then I am heading that way. Just the faster processor and quicker speed is a winner for me.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Kobo are being smart. They own the lower end of the market with a simple, easy to use ereader that will allow purchases from a plethora of ebook retailers.
Well, since this board is big on cracking DRM; why not buy a K3 for the better hardware, buy books from any store, then crack the DRM so they can be read on a K3?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #49
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Here here! I find it incredibly annoying that they are spending time and resources on a new reader when people who bought the first one still have a myriad of problems. Not the best way to maintain customer loyalty that's for sure.
I supported some software once where the person in charge said no changes until the product is stable. How the product was to get stable was beyond me. ;-)

Everyone is different but only two things would improve my current kobo reading experience:

Faster page turns
An easier to press page turn button

Both of which likely need hardware changes ( okay I could work out a little I guess). I used a kindle 3 a few days ago. The page turn speed is nice but I am not sure my books need a keyboard.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #50
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Well there are other options if you are not happy with your ereader. I alternate between my PRS-300 and Kobo. Now the Sony is a seriously nice piece of kit but it does have "niggles" I am using my Kobo a lot more now to read on.

I was considering a K3 regardless of Amazon's walled garden approach and that hideous keyboard or the PRS-650 which in true Sony style is overpriced.

However now the Ko2 is out, then I am heading that way. Just the faster processor and quicker speed is a winner for me.

My point would be that they're packing features in that are going to be frustrating with a single dpad and the kobo 2 isn't really a kobo 2, is just the what the kobo should've been.
As long as they continue to support the original kobo and fix some things, i'll be happy... but if i have to buy the kobo2 for the desired result then i won't be bothering.
I'm sure all will be well and the original kobo will be supported still.

Anyone else notice on the site that getting the paper is one of the great features of the new kobo? Weren't we supposed to get that before now!?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #51
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I must admit, I have been meaning to try the epaper option out

The West Australian is available, so I must try it!

The speed increase and better processor on the Ko2 is the biggest change for me at least. WiFi is just a bit of icing....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #52
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
However I dislike new device just months after I got mine, it is not
that bad move for manufacturer. For wifi, it is the most simple way
to upgrade without user interference. Also, it seems to be easier to
buy a book via internet. Exclude PC and you find no trouble.
The question is do I want manufacturer to make decisions for me?
My answer is "no", but it might differ for others on the forum. Next
to consider is: they sell another device to the same target. All you
want on Kobo1 will be on Kobo2. And user friendly interface, and
better screen, and... It will probably be similar to Kindle 3. I like
epubs more so it is obvious to avoid k3.
The point is do I have benefit, while manufacturer has it without
any doubt?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:41 AM   #53
shall1028
Nameless Being

When I saw SameerH's post mentioning the onscreen keyboard, navigable by the d-pad, my immediate thought was that I hope that it is not going to be a QWERTY layout and that there is a potential to not be a slave to modelling the limitations of a physical device in software.

I could see a layout based upon the frequency of letters in English (a different layout could be made for other languages).

I remember using a few alternatives to Graffiti on my old Palm unit. One of which is myKDB ATOMIK already discussed on MobileRead

Fitaly and MessageEase were the other Palm entry methods I used (still available!). Of these two Fitaly would be another alternate layout to consider.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #54
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
When I saw SameerH's post mentioning the onscreen keyboard, navigable by the d-pad, my immediate thought was that I hope that it is not going to be a QWERTY layout and that there is a potential to not be a slave to modelling the limitations of a physical device in software.
Since it is linux, there is no reason not use keyboard layout of preference.
However, for some reason, I hesitate to like touch screens. I assume the
decision was already made, whatever we post here.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #55
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm afraid we're stuck with QWERTY. It's too ingrained now to abandon it even though other layouts make more sense. The whole point of it is gone now but the pattern lives on.

I don't believe the new Kobo has a touch screen. Sameer says it's a virtual keyboard you navigate with the buttons.

I'm just hoping that a few of the improvements are firmware-based and trickle down to the original Kobo.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #56
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
It's interesting, for a while I was using the dvorak layout on my linux machines but I found that as most of my work is programming it didn't really have any major gains, so I switched back to QWERTY.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #57
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
It's interesting, for a while I was using the dvorak layout on my linux machines but I found that as most of my work is programming it didn't really have any major gains, so I switched back to QWERTY.
Paul.
You could type with one hand and take pizza with the other one.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #58
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
You could type with one hand and take pizza with the other one.
No no no, you need to use both hands still, but you get someone to blend up the pizza into slush and fill up your hat-drinking bottles with it... mmmmmm

Got to have both hands available so you can be thrashing people in your WoW campaign while surfing the net at the same time
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #59
R2P2
R2P2 began at the beginning.

Navigating a virtual keyboard with a D-pad isn't that bad. Navigating a virtual keyboard with a D-pad on a screen with the Kobo's refresh rate, on the other hand...
R2P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #60
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Question for Sameer, the next time he swings by - is it the new Pearl screen, or a Vizplex with twice the grey levels, or what?
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote