Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Not too Impressed with Nook App

I recently downloaded the Nook App, which was really exciting since I now have access to B&N, Kindle, Kobo(on my way to research that forum next), and Sony. However, I've had alot of issues with the B&N app. I have had to delete and re-download the app probably 5 times now because my library wouldn't load. I got that straightened out...I think. Then, yesterday I downloaded one of their freebies and today whenever I try to open the book, the app itself opens, and it starts to open the book (the little circle thing is spinning in the top left corner), and the the app shuts down completely. Anyone else experience this? I really want to like this app because I want access to B&N ebook, but if it's gonna be like this everytime I try to download anything, forget it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OH, I don't have the latest software version on my iPod (another issue in itself and my computer that hates cooperating!), could that be the problem?
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I tried using the Nook app on my 3G iPhone and all it did is crash. I ended up going back to the previous version of the B&N reader which actually works.

To be honest, I don't think B&N did much testing of Nook before they released it for the iPhone/Touch.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
The thing I disliked about the nook app was the dishonest "14 day free trials" offered for magazines and newspapers. I added a few to try, and my credit card was charged immediately! As soon as I saw the charges I canceled the orders!
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Don't have the same problem as yours (have about 30 book from B&N and all of them downloaded correctly), but I too am unimpressed with Nook app, mainly because:

1. It's slow as hell
2. They bring some new font, but doesn't look good for me
3. The UI doesn't feel "right".

Point 2 and 3 is subjective, but I still prefer their Barnes & Noble eReader app. Maybe they does this whole Nook app thing to increase their Nook brand recognition just like Amazon does with Kindle everywhere.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Once I got past the crashing (by re-installing, but they have supposedly fixed this in an update), I'm pretty happy with it.

Pros:
  • Has a dimmer slider
  • Saves notes, bookmarks, most recent page from all "nook"ish devices
  • I actually liked their selection of fonts
  • Support for Retina display

Cons:
  • The font sizes are either too large or too small for me
  • The dimmer is hidden behind a menu
  • No clock in the upper menu when you tap the screen while reading.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
mojohn
mojohn began at the beginning.

Device: cruz reader
Do any of you have problems with "blank pages"? I can read at most 3 pages in a row before I have to go to "Details" and press the button underneath the book cover to get the text of a blank page. I'm then OK for 2-3 more pages before the next blank page.
mojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Once I got past the crashing (by re-installing, but they have supposedly fixed this in an update), I'm pretty happy with it.

Pros:
  • Has a dimmer slider
  • Saves notes, bookmarks, most recent page from all "nook"ish devices
  • I actually liked their selection of fonts
  • Support for Retina display

Cons:
  • The font sizes are either too large or too small for me
  • The dimmer is hidden behind a menu
  • No clock in the upper menu when you tap the screen while reading.
Thanks. I didn't realize there was a dimmer. That was one of my issues with the Nook app. BTW the Kindle app has just added the two page view. It seems pretty nice.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote