Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
llixgrijb
llixgrijb began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N16
OIP doesn't remember Date/Time Set in hanvon n16

Whenever I turn on my Hanvon, the OpenInkpot firmware is always asking me to set the date and time. I set it, but after I turn the unit off it resets and asks me for the time again. How can I get the changes to stick?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by llixgrijb View Post
Whenever I turn on my Hanvon, the OpenInkpot firmware is always asking me to set the date and time. I set it, but after I turn the unit off it resets and asks me for the time again. How can I get the changes to stick?
You don't The Hanvon doesn't have a realtime clock of any kind, so the time gets lost every time you power it off. Same with the Hanlin V3, by the way.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
llixgrijb
llixgrijb began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N16
If I can't set the time, is there a way for me to make OIC stop asking me to set it every time I turn the unit on?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You don't The Hanvon doesn't have a realtime clock of any kind, so the time gets lost every time you power it off. Same with the Hanlin V3, by the way.
Actually, I have never seen an ARM processor that did not have an RTC, and the Samsung S3C2410AL-20 used in the Hanlin V3 and the Ingenic JZ4740 in the Hanvon 516 are no exception. The problem is that the power source for the RTC is optional, and the cheap and dirty way to power the RTC is to use the processor's VCC supply, which is completely absent when the device is powered off.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Actually, I have never seen an ARM processor that did not have an RTC, and the Samsung S3C2410AL-20 used in the Hanlin V3 and the Ingenic JZ4740 in the Hanvon 516 are no exception. The problem is that the power source for the RTC is optional, and the cheap and dirty way to power the RTC is to use the processor's VCC supply, which is completely absent when the device is powered off.
You're right, of course. I should have been more specific.
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
If I can't set the time, is there a way for me to make OIC stop asking me to set it every time I turn the unit on?
No, there isn't, AFAIK.

But I don't find it that much of a bother, personally. I pretty much only power the unit down when upgrading the firmware. Even in the rare case it needs a reset, using the button at the back (in the case of the V3) doesn't power it off and OI won't ask for the time after boot.

During normal usage I just lock the keyboard.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You're right, of course. I should have been more specific.
You were also right, in that neither device has properly implemented RTC hardware external to the processor chip. That means that no software fix is possible. I do the same as you do, and never turn the device off. I usually get weeks of run time that way.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Don't turn it off. It's that easy.