Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
slh17
Ardent beginner
slh17 doesn't litterslh17 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 700
Will ePub formats work on my PRS 700

Still loving my 700 ... have bought lots of books on the Sony site, but they don't have everything I want - and many are only available in the U.S.

I tried buying a book from Books on Board but struggled with the format question - I ended up buying using Adobe ePub format, but I can't read it on the device (although I can on my laptop). When I try to read it on the device, it says "Protected Page".

The file is clearly ok since I can read it on the laptop - did I choose the wrong format when I bought it? What format should I have chosen? Am I doing anything else stupic?
slh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you activated your PRS-700 in ADE?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
slh17
Ardent beginner

Not sure, to be honest. I've tried several times, but not sure it's worked. It's a bit tricky as I'm a mac user. I've set up Windows on my laptop using Boot Camp and so have to go back and forth. While I was in Windows, I went to the Adobe site and tried to do the authorization but not much seemed to happen. It was a couple of weeks ago so I'm fuzzy on the details .... I can try again if it would help
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
ePud will work. Find a window computer and activate Adobe for your reader and you'll never have too again. I'm sure you have a friend with a Windows computer.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slh17 View Post
Not sure, to be honest. I've tried several times, but not sure it's worked. It's a bit tricky as I'm a mac user. I've set up Windows on my laptop using Boot Camp and so have to go back and forth. While I was in Windows, I went to the Adobe site and tried to do the authorization but not much seemed to happen. It was a couple of weeks ago so I'm fuzzy on the details .... I can try again if it would help
I'm pretty sure that's your problem. As the other poster suggests, it would be worth doing so on a "real" Windows PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure that's your problem. As the other poster suggests, it would be worth doing so on a "real" Windows PC.
Actually, if you are running Windows with bootcamp it is a "real" windows PC. No difference between it and a Dell or HP at that point.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
slh17
Ardent beginner

Shoot - that's what I tried to do before. Any advice about exactly which website page I go to in order to activate it? Maybe I was just in the wrong part??
Old 12-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Shoot - that's what I tried to do before. Any advice about exactly which website page I go to in order to activate it? Maybe I was just in the wrong part??
You set up your Adobe ID at the web site. But, once that is set up you have to install Adobe Digital Editions software and register that to your Adobe ID. Once that is done, plug in your Sony reader. You should see it in the Digital Editions software... from there authorize IT to your Adobe ID.

You must do the above in Windows. You must also have the Sony Library version 2.1 or newer installed for this to work.

You can NOT do this just from the web site.

BOb
Old 12-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
slh17
Ardent beginner

You're a genius - or I'm an idiot, or both, most likely. I had downloaded the Digital Editions before, tried it all, but tried it again after your post and it looks like it worked.

Thanks very much and merry xmas.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You're a genius - or I'm an idiot, or both, most likely.
Probably neither. I know I am no genius.

Quote:
Thanks very much and merry xmas.
You're welcome.

Merry Christmas to you too!

BOb