Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #106
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
here the pics. Please all, be indulgent...

So it's back, open and front, and the elastic band is fixed on the back and closes on the front. I decided against making a seam on the loose end in the inside because it would have been too thick, instead I used a special fabric glue and sew a fine thread afterwards to keep the layers firmly together. I love those striped fabric, I was originally looking for bayadère, but could not find any down here.
The Mini is kept secure with Velcro this time, as it is so tiny that elastic straps looked really weird.

As always, I read with the front cover folded to the back and kept there with the red elastic band, and my hand between front and back cover.

Maybe not super elegant, but very comfy indeed.
Nice! My mother did something similar for my old Sony.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #107
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
here the pics. Please all, be indulgent...
That's very nice, nothing to be ashamed of
Do you have the stock snapback (the grey one)? The Mini is awfully cute with the red one (and that would match your cover). Just saying...
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #108
cathermac
cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-650 and Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You're more crafty than me. 6 hair bands - 5 €, I think.

Where? I think I would give it a try (the post, at least).
Let me have a look. I will tell you.

Edit: I have find it. 70€ post and cover. Too expensive for me

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Kobo-Cust-N70...item257d4067f1

Last edited by cathermac; 05-21-2013 at 01:17 PM.
cathermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #109
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
That's very nice, nothing to be ashamed of
Do you have the stock snapback (the grey one)? The Mini is awfully cute with the red one (and that would match your cover). Just saying...
Nope, I don't have any other cover than the one I made. I can't read without a cover, thus the super creative moment
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #110
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathermac View Post
Let me have a look. I will tell you.

Edit: I have find it. 70€ post and cover. Too expensive for me

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Kobo-Cust-N70...item257d4067f1
Too much expensive for me too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #111
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I'm a new Mini owner, and I already like it a lot.

However, coming from a Kindle (we have 5 of them in the family) I find the Mini's insistence on displaying large top and bottom margins devoted to information I do not need while reading my books ... frustrating.

The size of the Mini (a huge plus for me) inevitably means that screen real estate is at a premium. I am used to the Kindle setup where I have to press a button to have information displayed in the top and bottom margins. Otherwise, the space is used to display extra lines of text from the book I am reading.

Surely, the Mini firmware could provide a similar option. Please...
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #112
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I'm a new Mini owner, and I already like it a lot.

However, coming from a Kindle (we have 5 of them in the family) I find the Mini's insistence on displaying large top and bottom margins devoted to information I do not need while reading my books ... frustrating.

The size of the Mini (a huge plus for me) inevitably means that screen real estate is at a premium. I am used to the Kindle setup where I have to press a button to have information displayed in the top and bottom margins. Otherwise, the space is used to display extra lines of text from the book I am reading.

Surely, the Mini firmware could provide a similar option. Please...
Stick with/revert to firmware version 2.5.1, or 2.5.0 to avoid the top margin/title problem. Also, edit the CSS in epubs to widows: 0; orphans: 0; or add the following to Calibre for epub conversions:

Preferences/Change Calibre Behavior/Conversion/Common Options/Extra CSS:

p, body{
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
}

This will give you the most text on your Mini.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #113
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Thanks Skydog...

I have found and implemented those, plus a patch to get rid of the header in 2.5.2: here.

However, I note that I am not alone in wanting to retrieve as much reading space as possible. I'd hope Kobo would see the wisdom in making this a switchable option.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #114
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Thanks Skydog...

I have found and implemented those, plus a patch to get rid of the header in 2.5.2: here.

However, I note that I am not alone in wanting to retrieve as much reading space as possible. I'd hope Kobo would see the wisdom in making this a switchable option.
I forgot to mention the patch. And, yes, I agree that we should have options.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #115
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Another way to get more text on the screen is to edit the line-height in the css with Sigil.
Kobo uses 1.3 as standard minimum, which is bigger then most people need to read comfortably.
Try 1.2 for starters and adjust it up/down until you find the sweet-spot for yourself.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #116
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I rolled up my sleeves, removed all the dust that was laying on the sewing machine and tried to make a sleeve for the Mini with a plastic sheet on one side to provide a little more protection to the screen.

Mostly I followed those explanations.

Many things are wrong but given my innate sewing abilities I'm quite pleased with the end result (and I've learned a lot along the way ).

So here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	810596873.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	111896  

Last edited by samhy; 09-23-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: I've finally understood how to attach pictures :D
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #117
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I rolled up my sleeves, removed all the dust that was laying on the sewing machine and tried to make a sleeve for the Mini with a plastic sheet on one side to provide a little more protection to the screen.

So here it is:
That looks really good!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #118
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That looks really good!
Thank you
It's fine for me, but I wouldn't gift it to someone (else it would be some very close family member).
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #119
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
It is very cute. Don't be shy, that is nice work.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #120
samhy
Wizard

Merci aceflor

The edges aren't straight (mostly the bottom one). The thread I've used is black and those black lines aren't straight either. Yet it's the zipper end pocking out that bothers me.
Actually I have a bad karma (more likely a lack of knowledge) with zippers. I am more of a knitter than a seamstress and I've made several nice cardigans but I can't put a zipper on properly for the life of me. So now I try to avoid them altogether.

I think I'll try a couple more times and maybe I'll be able to make a Christmas present for my mother's smartphone. Fingers crossed