Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #16
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanine View Post
Interesting, I wonder why they did this in the first place? kind of stupid if you ask me.
Well, when you choose a font for your documents you don't always assume that people will someday try to display it with only a couple bits of depth... unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. I think a lot of rich fonts are designed today with 8-bits of gray (256 grays - maybe someone more familiar w/ fonts can comment).

In any case you'll want to process pdf's with PDFLRF (see my post above). It really is amazing.

Have fun,

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:47 AM   #17
alanine
Connoisseur
alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
... unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.
What I meant is the gray-ish background when displaying every PDF. It seems to serve no purpose other than annoying PDF users because it apparently uses a white background for LRFs.
alanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
linguist
linguist began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanine View Post
What I meant is the gray-ish background when displaying every PDF. It seems to serve no purpose other than annoying PDF users because it apparently uses a white background for LRFs.

Yes, I fully agree. The background for PDFs is not entirely "white" (using the 505's definition of white) but is a little off-white, which does detract from the quality of the experience. You can see a faint line (around the border) between "PDF white" and "real white."
linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
In any case you'll want to process pdf's with PDFLRF (see my post above). It really is amazing.
I agree, pdflrf is the only tool I use for formatting pdf. Works especially well with google books. A letter size pdf is usable when you split it in half in landscape mode. Still anticipating a reader with a letter size (A4) screen.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote