Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Need some help w/Sony T1

Well, have never listened to an audio book on my trusty T1, so dl'd one from the local library. File is in .odm format and I have tried 60 ways from Saturday to try and get it to play but no joy, no even through win7 on the computer. Anyone w/a T1 know how to convert or the procedure to get a .odm file to play? Is it even possible?
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
An .odm file needs to be downloaded with the Overdrive Media Console. It's just a link to get the real download for the mp3/wmv files, after which you'll be able to put at least the mp3 files on your Sony (WMV you'll have to listen to via other means).

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Thanks A.T., got it playing on computer, but using calibre to try to transfer to reader, no joy. This is first time for me and may be doing something wrong, but it is playing now through computer via Overdrive. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't need to use Calibre to transfer mp3s to your Sony (actually, I'm not sure it would work if you did).

You can just do it manually: create a folder somewhere on your SD card, copy your folder full of mp3s over, and then the Sony should automagically spot and load them into the Audio section.

I just tested it out on my own PRS-T1 and it worked okay (the volume on the audiobooks was a bit low, even with the slider turned up, so you may want to try tweaking the volume/equalizer control on the files via iTunes or similar beforehand, though I don't know if the Sony would accept those new settings).
Old 01-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-10-2015 at 10:26 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Ok, will give that a try tomorrow and post back after trying. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
PatGIV
Connoisseur

AT, worked like a charm! Followed your instructions, hooked up my headphones, and like Jackie Gleason used to say, "Away we gooooooooo". Thanks again for your help!!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
You don't need to use Calibre to transfer mp3s to your Sony (actually, I'm not sure it would work if you did).

You can just do it manually: create a folder somewhere on your SD card, copy your folder full of mp3s over, and then the Sony should automagically spot and load them into the Audio section.

I just tested it out on my own PRS-T1 and it worked okay (the volume on the audiobooks was a bit low, even with the slider turned up, so you may want to try tweaking the volume/equalizer control on the files via iTunes or similar beforehand, though I don't know if the Sony would accept those new settings).
A.T., is there a way to "bookmark" your stopping place? Appears you have to remember the track and time to pick up later on. Also, how do you delete the track when you thru reading?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Found the answer to the 2nd question, using the ODM console, book can be deleted/returned there.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
A.T., is there a way to "bookmark" your stopping place? Appears you have to remember the track and time to pick up later on. Also, how do you delete the track when you thru reading?
Unfortunately, the Sony audio feature seems to have been put in just for people to listen music while they read, so you can't bookmark. I guess you could make yourself a text or handwriting note of the time you left off when you paused, even though that's kind of a suboptimal workaround.

In addition to the Overdrive function you've already mentioned, you can delete straight from the Sony when you're done by clicking the Menu button while browsing the Audio section, which will bring up an option to delete the files.

Anyway, glad you've gotten it working for you.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #11
PatGIV
Connoisseur

And I thank you for the wisdom! I just about had already came to the conclusion that you mentioned about the bookmark. Thanks again, A.T.!