Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
New threads with proper title

I know we get replies in threads for Kindle books that also say they are free at other shops, but that leaves the thread title incorrect as it says Kindle. I think we should have a thread for each store for a given month. Then we won't have things so all over the place and a lot less of a flood in here.

So for example, we'd have threads like...

Free/discounted from Sony for August 2011
Free/discounted from Amazon for August 2011
Free/discounted from B&N for August 2011

That's a lot easier to deal with when the flood we just recently had and the replies that don't help because the thread titles still say Kindle.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-01-2011 at 10:49 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'll go for that.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know we get replies in threads for Kindle books that also say they are free at other shops, but that leaves the thread title incorrect as it says Kindle. I think we should have a thread for each store for a given month. Then we won't have things so all over the place and a lot less of a flood in here.

So for example, we'd have threads like...

Free/discounted from Sony for August 2011
Free/discounted from Amazon for August 2011
Free/discounted from B&N for August 2011

That's a lot easier to deal with when the flood we just recently had and the replies that don't help because the thread titles still say Kindle.

What does everyone else think?

These already exist in the nook and Kindle forums. You could hang out there, if you want a single format. I don't do one for Sony, in particular (they are so late adding free books), plus the EPUB format is for more than one reader.

This forum is for ALL formats - I MUCH prefer to see it by title here (and the titles can be updated to reflect new formats; all that has to happen is that the OP flag the thread and ask for a new title. In fact, anyone can do that with their own post that adds a new format.

If the posts are by store, they get extremely long and you still have to check ever single one of them to find the ones that might be free in YOUR store (since many people don't check for formats they don't use, themselves).

Of course, this comes up every month (and I seem to remember you asking for this before) and is voted down each time.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Dont we allready have those. The kindle and barnes & noble ebook reader threads both have stickes for freebies and bargins. Just add a stickey for sony reader.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I prefer the titled threads also. I know of the threads in the device forums and after trying both, I've found that I'd rather sift through individual book threads than through one inclusive one.

It's easier for me to keep track and sometimes people make comments that are related to the books, especially when a book is offered as free again later and I can reread the comments (or read the new, "got this the last time and I thought..." comments) when it's repeated.

I never looked in the Kindle threads until I got my Kindle, but I've noticed that they get new posts when other bookstores carry them, although it may be days later.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I think by title is easier, I can just glance at the forum rather then having to open up a bunch of individual threads,
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I prefer having it in the title, but I would like to see the titles be, e.g., Kindle/ePub rather than Kindle/Nook/Sony. This would make the title a little easier to read and, more importantly, make it clearer, especially to new members, that the book is readable on their Nook, Sony, Kobo, Kindle.

The other thing that I would like to see is a Smashwords link in the message if the book is available at Smashwords. Given a choice of downloading a title from Sony, B&N, or Smashwords, I prefer Smashwords because it is always DRM-free.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I prefer having it in the title, but I would like to see the titles be, e.g., Kindle/ePub rather than Kindle/Nook/Sony. This would make the title a little easier to read and, more importantly, make it clearer, especially to new members, that the book is readable on their Nook, Sony, Kobo, Kindle.

The other thing that I would like to see is a Smashwords link in the message if the book is available at Smashwords. Given a choice of downloading a title from Sony, B&N, or Smashwords, I prefer Smashwords because it is always DRM-free.
I think most of use use this convention:

noDRM - DRM free, format can be converted
PDF - non-drm'd PDF (may or may not convert well
Kindle - for Kindle only, in Amazon store
nook - for the nook only, from B&N
EPUB - DRM'd EPUB, need ADE (works with several readers)
ADE-PDF - DRM'd PDF, uses ADE, can't be converted

I seldom put the store name, because that isn't a format (Kindle and nook, are). For Smashwords and other drm-free sources, I use "noDRM" and suggest others do, as well.

There are some books in both the B&N and Amazon stores that end up DRM-free, but I generally don't check for that. Often the ones at ChristianBook are DRM-free, but you have to download to tell. Usually someone pipes up and makes a comment if they are DRM-free (and are free to flag a message to get a moderator to fix the format list).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I vote to stick with single titles. I *really* don't want to dig through a whole month's worth of freebies in a single thread. I usually give new posts titles a quick look, if I see something interesting I read the post, else I mark the whole forum read and move on.

Last edited by jgaiser; 09-01-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: clear up meaning
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I prefer to see "Agency" in a title rather than a store or format when applicable because I know the offer is supposed to universally available and the thread title doesn't need to be updated as members add posts about availability at other stores.

When publishers are offering a group of books at a discount or for free I like to see the publisher name in the title and some indication of the genre with all the books listed in the same post when possible. That will usually tell more about my interest in the thread than the book title itself. So for this last batch maybe:

Free (Kindle) 6 titles from Leisure Books [Romance]
Free (Kindle) 9 titles from Dorchester [Horror/Western/Romance]
Free 2 titles from Samhain [Romance]
(No store listing because regulars know that these titles usually popup @ nook, BoB, ARe etc.)
Free from Revell 2 titles [Christian Fiction] (Publisher again because other stores usually follow within a week)

For random store specific offering then I find the book per thread option helps me the most.

Whatever everyone's preference, some agreed upon title naming conventions would probably help everyone navigate and avoid missing the awesome deals posted here and minimize updating for the mods.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I vote to stick with single titles. I *really* don't want to dig through a whole month's worth of freebies in a single thread. I usually give new posts titles a quick look, if I see something interesting I read the post, else I mark the whole forum read and move on.

It would take more time if I had to scroll through a long tread for each store/format. And the same books would be in several threads.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post

But just putting ePub won't really work. The DRM used by Sony/Kobo/BooksOnboard/etc. is different then the DRM used by B&N. So yes you can use ePub but it won't say what the DRM is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I think most of use use this convention:

noDRM - DRM free, format can be converted
Not everyone converts. So even DRM free, it's not going to work if it's not in the correct format to start with.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One question. Have all the thread title been updated as people chime in with other shops that have the same deal?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The thing about grouped store posts (even in the dedicated forums) is that outside of the Kindle thread which gets a lot of traffic and is replaced every month, no one really bothers updating them. I used to maintain a couple of Sony/Kobo/ADE-ePub compatible round-up threads right here in the Deals forum, but it got to be really tedious and eventually I gave it up.

An advantage of individual book threads is that even if a title isn't available in your preferred store, if it looks interesting, you can check to see if it's available elsewhere, and lo and behold! sometimes it is. Or you can download the appropriate software and try your hand at the "tools". Whatever works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
I prefer to see "Agency" in a title rather than a store or format when applicable because I know the offer is supposed to universally available and the thread title doesn't need to be updated as members add posts about availability at other stores.
One of the problems with categorizing things as "Agency" is that it can be hard to tell which are the Agency publishers. The Big 6's main imprints are easy, but they've got a lot of subsidiary lines, and then there are the smaller specialized presses which are still Agency, like Christian fiction publisher Zondervan. So either the thread-titler would have to know offhand, or consult a list.

Quote:
Not everyone converts. So even DRM free, it's not going to work if it's not in the correct format to start with.
Yeah, but at least it makes it easier for those who are ideologically attached to non-DRM books to find them. And it opens up the reading pool possibilities for people who are willing to try and convert.

Quote:
One question. Have all the thread title been updated as people chime in with other shops that have the same deal?
It takes a mod to do that, and I know that there are at least two mods which frequent this forum to do updates, one of whom (dreams, I believe) makes it a point to kindly take the time to visit at least once a day to check and change the titles so that people skimming the forum don't miss out on deals applicable to their reader.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
May I be honest?

I believe we should make it as easy as possible for the original posters especially the regular prolific ones. Their kind, generous spirit is very much appreciated by all and we should not make their efforts any harder.

I find it is very labor intensive and time consuming searching elsewhere for "deals," posting links and detailed descriptions here for several formats, checking for previous listings and keep the thread updated. Unfortunately, I am not able to post as many as I'd like. Today alone I received notice of 34 free titles mostly for Sony and a few Kindle.

If other members while scanning for "deals," spot something of interest they can check their favorite format and store for it or wishlist it until the price updates. In other words, the bulk of the work should be on the scanners not the original posters.

Also, if possible, maybe the moderators can select a few regular posters to be "mini-mods" just for the ability to edit titles and posts for the Deals area only. This would free up the full mods for other duties.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote