Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #31
scotsman
Enthusiast
scotsman doesn't litterscotsman doesn't litter

Device: irex DR1000S
request for dmesg output

Hi there,

would anyone of the happy DR800 usb networkers be willing to post the dmesg output of inserting the usb_gadget.ko module here? Just put a dmesg -c before the insmod usb_gadget.ko line, and a dmesg -c > /media/mmcblk0p0/dmesgoutput.txt after that line. This way we DR1000 people could check where the DR1000 goes astray, and that might well help us to adapt the patch accordingly. Many thanks!
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #32
scotsman
Enthusiast
scotsman doesn't litterscotsman doesn't litter

Device: irex DR1000S
new thread for DR1000

Dear all,

I have opened a new thread for getting the usb networking to work on the DR1000 specifically:
http://https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1422075
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
jonathan_s
Enthusiast
jonathan_s began at the beginning.

Device: none
[EDIT]I found the file in /proc/config.gz[/EDIT]

@GregorRichards I'm trying to build usbnet from source, mainly to figure out how to build kernel modules - I want to build ext2.ko The sources include a diff of the .config kernel configuration file, but where do I find the original .config to patch? I tried using the file er0200_dr800s_defconfig that comes with the kernel sources but couldn't insmod the resulting modules without 'Unknown symbol in module' errors.

Thanks!

Last edited by jonathan_s; 07-19-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Problem solved
jonathan_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #34
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
[EDIT]I found the file in /proc/config.gz[/EDIT]

@GregorRichards I'm trying to build usbnet from source, mainly to figure out how to build kernel modules - I want to build ext2.ko The sources include a diff of the .config kernel configuration file, but where do I find the original .config to patch? I tried using the file er0200_dr800s_defconfig that comes with the kernel sources but couldn't insmod the resulting modules without 'Unknown symbol in module' errors.

Thanks!
If you build an ext2 module, please share
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #35
jonathan_s
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
If you build an ext2 module, please share
My pleasure
Attached Files
File Type: zip ext2.ko.zip (297.0 KB, 283 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 AM   #36
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
My pleasure
Thanks.

It fails to load the module in the emu:

Code:
root@qemuarm:/media/mmcblk0p1# insmod /media/mmcblk0p1/ext2.ko   
insmod: error inserting '/media/mmcblk0p1/ext2.ko': -1 Invalid module format
Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #37
jonathan_s
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
It fails to load the module in the emu:

Hmmm my first assumption was that I'd accidentally posted the version I first built which didn't work. But I just confirmed that this is the file that works for me on the IREX. I don't have an emulator - it seems you need to download it from debian.o-hand.com which has been down for the last few days. (Maybe you can help me with that.) Meanwhile I don't know what to suggest - the module works fine for me, I've mounted ext2 partitions successfully.

Code:
root@dr800s:/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_debian# insmod ext2.ko 
root@dr800s:/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_debian#
Maybe confirm:

Code:
root@dr800s:/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_debian# md5sum ext2.ko 
ec6395da1d6e7426a252a2d69fd0b4f0  ext2.ko
Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #38
Iņigo
Guru

Ok, I had 2 issues:
- I tried on the emulator... it doesn't work there... maybe because kernel already includes a ext2 module
- I stripped the file... it doesn't work on my DR800

But if I try your original file (770 KB) insmod works

Btw, the emulator comes with IREX packages, you don't need any debian.o-hand.com stuff.

Iņigo
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #39
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
- the kernel [version] in the emulator differs to the one on real DR device -> .ko compiled for DR is 95% not expected to work within the emulator
- simple "strip *.ko" somehow removes important information, the file becomes unusable .. if you really want to clean the file you should use "strip --strip-unneeded *.ko"

Have learned this during experiments with .ko for DR800
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #40
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
- the kernel [version] in the emulator differs to the one on real DR device -> .ko compiled for DR is 95% not expected to work within the emulator
- simple "strip *.ko" somehow removes important information, the file becomes unusable .. if you really want to clean the file you should use "strip --strip-unneeded *.ko"

Have learned this during experiments with .ko for DR800
ok, "strip --strip-unneeded *.ko" works. Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #41
jonathan_s
Enthusiast

Ah, OK stripping the kernel modules of unnecessary symbols makes sense.

Can someone help me with another question - how would I go about installing a different kernel rather than just building new modules for the current kernel. More specifically, do I have to reflash the rootfs and all the other things, or can I just reflash the kernel? I tried putting update.dat and zImage renamed to kernel.bin into System/update and the DR800 gave all the appearances of flashing, but when it rebooted it was still running the old kernel.