Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
How useful is web surfing on PRS-950?

Recently, I found myself reading more and more online articles. I have been printing them out to my PDF maker then side-load them to my reader. However, this requires extra steps of plugging my 650, add the PDF to Calibre, safely uplug the device from Calibre, unplugging the cable and wait until the reader finish re-indexing.

My question is for those of you who own PRS-950. Do you find web browsing feature useful. Do you use it more than you expected or do you find it too cumbersome and slow for day-to-day browsing?

Thanks for any feedback and impression.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
hzbmyers
hzbmyers began at the beginning.

Device: none
this question is very useful to decide if or not buy the 950 reader

thanks and appreciate someone who already have the 950 to give us some advice on the 950 ‘s wifi

it would be the best that someone can help me to test the site :

https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/roller/miliband/

the blog's owner is MR.Miliband , the Shadow Foreign Secretary of UK
hzbmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I haven't yet used the 950, but this review might help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-m9VJEq8
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I haven't yet used the 950, but this review might help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-m9VJEq8
Thanks Latinandgreek!!! I did see that review but I think it's kind of hard to get a feel for other websites. I am wondering whether reflowing the page is possible.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Thanks Latinandgreek!!! I did see that review but I think it's kind of hard to get a feel for other websites. I am wondering whether reflowing the page is possible.
No problem. Here is another link, comparing the 950 browser with Nook and Kindle. I hope it helps. Hopefully some 950 owners will chime in and tell us about their experiences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgr_dGNW1sA
Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
OrcaBlue
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
No problem. Here is another link, comparing the 950 browser with Nook and Kindle. I hope it helps. Hopefully some 950 owners will chime in and tell us about their experiences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgr_dGNW1sA
Nice review. That is a great comparison between the three readers' web features. Thanks!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Nice review. That is a great comparison between the three readers' web features. Thanks!!!
No problem!
Old 11-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Tieton
Tieton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I've tried it on my 950 and gave it up as a lost cause. I'm seriously considering returning it for a Kindle 3: by all reviews it works as an internet device. Sony? URGH.
Great design. Great screen (ghosting aside) but the wireless "features" are awful--and they are the reason I returned a 650. If you're looking for robust wireless, don't get a 950.
YMMV, of course!
Tieton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzbmyers View Post
it would be the best that someone can help me to test the site :
https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/roller/miliband/
hzbmyers, this site loads fine on the 950 and quickly too. The only thing I noticed is that the text is small and it won't let me make it bigger like I can on other websites. Maybe something specific to the website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieton View Post
I've tried it on my 950 and gave it up as a lost cause. I'm seriously considering returning it for a Kindle 3: by all reviews it works as an internet device. Sony? URGH.
I don't think either the 950 or the Kindle are phenomenal at web-browsing. I haven't found much use for the browser on the 950 yet. Primarily I am using it for wikipedia, and it works great for that purpose. It definitely works better if you visit the mobile version of websites. I am able to read and send webmails. It comes with preloaded website links for weather, gmail, news, ESPN, goodreads, facebook, twitter, etc.

My biggest complaint is that if you have a weblink in your book on the 950 you cannot click on it and auto-launch the browser. I find that disappointing. The Kindle does have that ability, and it's a very useful feature.

I'd say the Kindle browser is better but not by a significant margin. Both load websites about the same speed. I like that the Kindle has an article mode that focuses on the text whereas the Sony looks at the full website, and you have to scroll more.

I bought my ereader to read ebooks, and I find the web-browsing to be lower on the list of my priorities.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I have purchased many items from the Sony Style store here in Vegas and know one of the salesmen well. We talk tech when I stop by. Sharing stories about Readers on Sunday he told me that a firmware update is coming for the 950 that will improve internet performance.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I have purchased many items from the Sony Style store here in Vegas and know one of the salesmen well. We talk tech when I stop by. Sharing stories about Readers on Sunday he told me that a firmware update is coming for the 950 that will improve internet performance.
I bought my 950 to read books, not browse the web, so I'm not put off by the current state of the browser. What I would most like to see in a firmware update is the update to the DRM capabilities so that I can read books purchased at B&N without stripping the DRM.

I would also like to see an improvement in unicode capabilities, but could also live without that.

The one thing I have yet to figure out (understand) about Sony's ereader strategy is the dearth of firmware updates. Unlike Kindle and Nook, Sony's biggest competitors, which are receiving regular (or so it seems) firmware updates, my 505 had 1 update in the 3 years I have owned it. Sony charges a premium for its devices, which I think is deserved overall, but really does need to act more competitively. I was one of those who preordered the 950 from Sony and so paid the full $299 (plus the cost of the cover and an extended warranty) and don't regret having done so -- I have been and continue to enjoy the 950. But . . .

a premium price for a premium device deserves premium service, a concept that seems to have slipped by the megaminds at Sony. (BTW the movie Megaminds was great for the family. Highly recommend it.)

Last edited by rhadin; 11-23-2010 at 03:31 PM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
christr
christr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Web Browsing works, but is limited. I can get to most news sites just fine. I can even browse & post to many forums. Facebook's real site mostly works as well as eBay.

Downsides are sometimes you can't resize the fonts (site dependent), it doesn't appear to let you get into landscape mode (portrait only) and you cannot download anything from the web to the device. Also, only works on Wifi. I personally wish Sony would let you do light browsing over 3G, heck even for a small fee... but that's not really a huge issue.

--Chris
christr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

@rhadin, I think your question can be answered by stating that the arrogance of Sony is surpassed only by Apple. It is almost like they look down their noses at their customers. That crap might work in Japan, but here in the USA it will eventually cost Sony a LOT of customers. I'm reading that M-Edge won't even make covers for the new Sony readers due to lack of sales. And don't get me started on Sony's horrible customer support. Their CS is populated with stupid idiots and designed to keep us from using it. Amazon on the other hand bends over backwards to help customers. With Sony readers we need to find our answers on our own at forums like this.

Hey Sony, pretend these are not thumbs!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Hey Sony, pretend these are not thumbs!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
I'd avoid using the browser on the 950 regularly because it would shorten the overall battery life.
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote