Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #181
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
WISH:

When we go to the TOC, it always starts at beginning of the TOC. It would be nice if the TOC went directly to the page that contains the current opened chapter.

This isn't a huge deal to me with most novels, but I've started using Calibre to grab news sources. The only way we have to navigate is via the TOC, and usually in these cases the TOC is rather large. So every time I want to browse the articles, the TOC starts back at page one, and I have to flip through a bunch of pages I've already read, to get to where I am now...
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #182
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'll second that one. Although I've found it faster to just "next chapter" through the articles since I did originally want to read them all anyway.

I would also like the text in the TOC to wrap on longer lines. Article titles get truncated to something like "News: Canada - So how does the" which doesn't really tell me much. That's another reason I use the "next chapter" method to skip through articles.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #183
LeslieH
LeslieH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-Reader
Perhaps this thread might be improved by a sticky at the top of the first page with a compilation of suggestions, demands and begging for certain features, so the Kobo folks can have a concise list, and we don't spend too much time asking for the same features over and over.
LeslieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #184
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
I agree, great idea.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #185
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Dunno if this is in the firmware, but I wouldn't mind having more quotes in it!
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #186
Jelbee
Jelbee began at the beginning.

I agree with a compiled list so Kobo has all of our suggestions/requests in one concise list.

Mine have been beaten to death already, but I figure if they hear the same requests from 100 people, they're more likely to heed them.

1. The Kobo platform is atrociously useless. Let me edit my reading list, see all the books that are on my synced Kobo, and let me drag and drop files in a user-friendly fashion. Without going online.
  2. Better yet, let me edit the "I'm Reading" from within my Kobo itself. When I hand someone my Kobo to inspect this "fancy new gadget they've never seen" and they open Anna Karenina, I don't want to skip through 200 chapters to the end of the book to get it off of my "I'm Reading" list.
  3. Skip to a page. As someone mentioned before, page-turning for 300 pages on something that isn't recognizing chapters, or doesn't have them is time-consuming and painful.
  4. Font scaling issue. You know the drill. Just because I've mastered editing the CSS file to solve the problem doesn't mean I want to have to do it. And the average user isn't likely to go to the trouble of Googling a support forum, reading through a how-to thread and cracking open the .epub to edit a stylehseet. They'll just get annoyed and exchange the Kobo for a Kindle or a Sony with the notion that "more expensive" means "functional."

Good luck to the Kobo folks; I can only imagine the kind of panicked pressure you're facing from demanding consumers. Here's to getting the update out and your work life calming down.
Jelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #187
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
WISH:
I wish that there was a display option that allowed you to change the line spacing in DRMed epub books displayed on Kobo. This should be just like how you can change font sizing.

I would prefer it if you could choose single spacing with indents for new paragraphs.

Although it is possible to manipulate the format of open epubs with Calibre, I am thinking that to change the format of purchased books with DRM that the firmware will have to modified to achieve this.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #188
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Dunno if this is in the firmware, but I wouldn't mind having more quotes in it!
Absolutely! I really enjoy the quotes, but it would be nice to have a whole bunch of them.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #189
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Absolutely! I really enjoy the quotes, but it would be nice to have a whole bunch of them.
Where does Kobo store the quotes?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #190
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I love my Kobo.

My only wants (so far) are:
1) fix of font size issues
2) pdf reflow
3) ability to jump to any page
4) some warning when battery is about to die
5) ability to use Kobo when plugged into USB

I know these have all been requested already, just putting in my 2 cents
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #191
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Add my wish to the list -
Make the update SOON!!!
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #192
ComingOfShadows
ComingOfShadows began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Just as an FYI I had a support ticket for some processing speed issues and was able to get this out of one of the tech people:
"Also, can you tell me if the upcoming firmware updates will cover any of the following or if it is even planned to be looked at at some point in the future?

1. Overall database optimization (faster Processing of new files, better cleanup of removed content to prevent unrestriced growth, etc.)

We will investigate your the processing time you describe to understand if it can be optimized. No other changes are planned at this time.

2. The ability to Delete the local copy of a book on the device itself once you are done with it
Not in the next update however this is functionality that we are planning on supporting in the next 3-6 months.

3. Reading lists to divide up your Books into more manageable sub-categories
Similarly, not in the next update however this is functionality that we are planning on supporting in the next 3-6 months.

4. The ability to jump to a specific page in a Book rather then just by chapter
Similarly, not in the next update however this is functionality that we are planning on supporting in the next 3-6 months.

5. Support for Hyperlinks in ePUB files, ie. dynamic TOC links, reference links, etc.

6. The ability to Re-Flow a PDF rather the the Pan & Zoom method

7. Additional Document support (.doc, .txt, .cbr, .cbz, etc.)
We have no plans to support other document types.

8. The ability to either set the Off screen to Blank, or a manual picture
We have no plans to allow the customization / configuration of the off screen.

9. Auto Power Off
Yes this is included in the next planned release.

10. The ability to remove some of the Pre-installed books and the ability to remove items from the I'm reading page
The ability to remove pre-installed books is not in the next update however this is functionality that we are planning on supporting in the next 3-6 months.
"
ComingOfShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #193
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
I'm sorry but you have to be fu&king kidding me, so what exactly is going to be in the upcoming firmware....., they've basically said we'll think about it go away, for the majority of the questions.

I don't see how it can take them 3-6 months to do points 2, 4 and 10.

Hell i don't even see the point of this thread any longer.......
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #194
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
According to the Kobo rep on Facebook, the new update will fix the battery issues and font resizing. I can't remember if they've mentioned anything else...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #195
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
I'm sorry but you have to be fu&king kidding me, so what exactly is going to be in the upcoming firmware....., they've basically said we'll think about it go away, for the majority of the questions.

I don't see how it can take them 3-6 months to do points 2, 4 and 10.

Hell i don't even see the point of this thread any longer.......
?

They're clearly fixing bugs in the first firmware update. Points 2, 4 and 10 are new features. I'd much rather they make the device work before they start working on new features.

It's not that it will take them 3-6 months to get them done - it'll take them 3-6 months to get to them, is all.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote