Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #136
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'm pretty sure there was nothing released over the weekend (of course it's not quite over for most of us in Canada).

I would hope that at least one of the Kobo crew would post something here to let us know. I don't do random syncs on my Kobo any more... it's too painful.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #137
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
The Canadian version also has your email address as well. Does this get erased when you reset the machine (hole on back or from menu)? If it does it wouldn't work very well to prove ownership.
Oh good. How do I get to that settings screen?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #138
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From Home menu, hit the Menu button, and select Settings
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #139
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Sigh. The weekend, even by the most generous of definitions, is now sadly over, with -- sniff -- no new firmware that I can see anyway.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #140
rsmereka
rsmereka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
I agree, it would be nice to be able to prove ownership of your own Kobo. Is there a serial number on the Kobo? I haven't been able to find it if there is. I did find the MAC address, but not sure if every MAC address is unique so it could be used like a serial number.

Anyone find a serial number and where do you find it?
There is a serial number. I bumped into it today browsing the Kobo drive. It's in an xml file (the only one on the reader I think).

My number one wish is goto page. Picture this. A 2mb PDF converted to epub by Caliber (many thanks for that great app). Over 750 pages in total. After Kobo processes, it dumps me at page 350 Then I find out here that there is no way to go back to page 1. I started analyzing the SQLite database. I have not found anything useful yet.

Number two wish is some kind of search.

I was also really ticked after I purchased Kobo to find that the desktop app not only needs an Intel Mac but it has to be 10.5 or higher. This cuts out Tiger (10.4) and is really unnecessary and silly. Not every Mac user has Leopard.

I love my Kobo and I hope that the openness becomes a way of business in addition to a mission statement.

Rick

Last edited by rsmereka; 05-26-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Mac OS Name Correction
rsmereka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #141
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Posting a reply from Kobo email support:
Quote:
Milos Kral, May 25 15:54 (EDT):

We were told that a firmware update would be released by the end of last
week.... yet here we are at the start of this new week, and still
without any update or any official statements from the Kobo Team...

Can you please make some kind of official, public statement regarding
the upcoming update. Many of us purchased the eReader on a good faith
basis that updates would be released under an Agile methodology..... and
are now beginning to doubt your sincerity
They Responded:
Quote:
Alicia Chung, May 26 10:26 (EDT):

Hi Milos,

We apologize for your frustration. We would like to provide a definitive date for the release of our update but at this time we can only aim for a mid-June window. Most of the issues in the update have been resolved, however we are still going through testing to make sure that the update functions correctly. We are attempting to provide quality of resolution vs. a quick rollout.

We appreciate your understanding. Keep an eye out on our website for updates!

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #142
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Mid-June, eh? The US Borders launch (which is what I'm waiting for) is set for June 17, so Kobo probably can't get the firmware update in time to fix the US readers before they ship.

I can sympathize with their wanting to get it right rather than get it out half-baked, but I hope the big US rollout doesn't get them into hot water.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #143
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Mid June... not too far off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmereka View Post
I was also really ticked after I purchased Kobo to find that the desktop app not only needs an Intel Mac but it has to be 10.5 or higher. This cuts out Tiger (10.4) and is really unnecessary and silly. Not every Mac user has Snow Leopard.
10.5 is Leopard, 10.6 is Snow Leopard.

I have an eMac G4, I'm beginning to feel the brunt of incompatible apps, not just Kobo. It costs extra money to develop universal binary apps. Mac OS X works because they get rid of legacy stuff from newer OS, so until I upgrade my Mac I completely understand that there will be apps I won't be able to upgrade or obtain.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #144
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Quote:
Danielle LeBlanc, May 26 12:14 (EDT):
Hi Mario,
Unfortunately, the software update has been pushed back to later this summer. We will inform you as to when the new update is available.
Oops, mid-june is not even yet summer so, we're gonna have to wait...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #145
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmereka View Post
My number one wish is goto page. Picture this. A 2mb PDF converted to epub by Caliber (many thanks for that great app). Over 750 pages in total. After Kobo processes, it dumps me at page 350 Then I find out here that there is no way to go back to page 1. I started analyzing the SQLite database. I have not found anything useful yet.
I believe you will find that the reason you are dumped on to page 350 is because that has somehow been setup as the first chapter of the book. Kobo is trying to start you on a page that is past the cover art and meta/copyright information so you can start reading right away, but something has gone wrong with your conversion and it has picked up a chapter at page 350.

You should be able to adjust this using Sigil, or even by turning off Table of Contents in Calibre I think.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #146
rsmereka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKazzed View Post
10.5 is Leopard, 10.6 is Snow Leopard.

I have an eMac G4, I'm beginning to feel the brunt of incompatible apps, not just Kobo. It costs extra money to develop universal binary apps. Mac OS X works because they get rid of legacy stuff from newer OS, so until I upgrade my Mac I completely understand that there will be apps I won't be able to upgrade or obtain.
Apologies...Leopard.

I am getting peeved with a lot of companies about Tiger. Many of them including Chapters here support Mac OS X but only Intel and not 10.4 (Tiger) which, I believe was the first 10.x Intel machine. What gives? I am not about to upgrade just for the Kobo desktop. IMHO, Tiger is not old enough to stop supporting it.

Rick
Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #147
rsmereka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
I believe you will find that the reason you are dumped on to page 350 is because that has somehow been setup as the first chapter of the book. Kobo is trying to start you on a page that is past the cover art and meta/copyright information so you can start reading right away, but something has gone wrong with your conversion and it has picked up a chapter at page 350.

You should be able to adjust this using Sigil, or even by turning off Table of Contents in Calibre I think.
I'll investigate.

Many thanks,
Rick
Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #148
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Ok after a few days of using my device, I know what I want:

-Jump to page.
-PDF reflow
-In the interim, improve how PDFs are viewed.
  • Have an option to default the view on the centre of the page. Often at 100% zoom, you can get most of the text if only it centred on the page.
  • Centre button should bring you to the next page.
-Change font sizes on all ePubs, not just select ones.
-Display time and date with the battery charge when going to the menu.
-Kobo software, ability to add ePubs from other sources so we don't have to use two different applications to sync books.

That's all I really want.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #149
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
Oops, mid-june is not even yet summer so, we're gonna have to wait...
meh, two or three weeks isn't so bad
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #150
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
So much for release early, release often. Their reticence to release frequent incremental updates makes me worry about how smooth updating the firmware will end up being. If it were largely a quick and transparent process, they wouldn't hesitate to release often.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote