Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Adam's (Untested) iLiad Apps

I've been playing with a few more programs in my development area, and here's what I've come up with. If you want me to post the binaries and libraries of these I can. But, since I have no iLiad to test with, there is no guarantee they will work or that they won't brick you iLiad.

Quote:
AbiWord is a free word processing program similar to Microsoft® Word. It is suitable for a wide variety of word processing tasks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abiword_new.png
Views:	673
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	2981  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

GQView - http://gqview.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
GQview, an image browser that features single click access to view images and move around the directory tree.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gqview_new.png
Views:	639
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	2982  
Advert
Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

eJourn - http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chris129/code/ejourn/

Quote:
eJourn is an application written for Linux/BSD/Unix/OS X (maybe Windows in a while) to help you manage a diary or journal. Actually, to help you manage several diaries and journals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ejourn_new.png
Views:	650
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2983  
Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
You give us an appetite, Adam. I would like something like Abiword.

Hope you get a developers iLiad soon and your own unit unbricked.

For an editor it would be nice to have handwring recognition transparently over the document or in a small window, so that only a small part of the screen is covered by the recognition window, or by a small keyboard.

Other ideas (wishes): text-to-speech (like the opera-browser has). To listen to documents. And speech recognition ("go to page 79", "next page", "three down", "open that", "goto CF- card" ......

But probably the hardware is not up to that.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
What I would need for a text editor is a full-screen refresh if I press a specific button or click an Icon. I don't like ghosting but I also don't like the constantly flashing screen. I would like to control the process myself when do a partial refresh, when do a full refresh.
Also I would recommend a specific control (icon/ button / page bar) rather than just click somewhere on the screen and sometime it will refresh sometimes not. (pagebar would be great if it really works)

Otherwise Abiword looks interesting.

Last edited by Mambo; 03-29-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Nice looking stuff Adam.
I don't think I'll be using anything that needs a lot of keyboard input in a hurry.
What I would find useful would be an app. which could pull down my web-hosted iCal calendars and display them. And perhaps even let me write events to them.
I'm using thunderbird with lightning at the moment, with the calendars on a webdav server.
Hooking into Google calendar would be nice too.

EDIT: I'll copy this to the other WISHLIST thread
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
i will like to probe in my iliad the image viewer, if you post the bin and the libs i will try to run it
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

xCHM - http://xchm.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
xCHM is a cross-platform GUI front-end to chmlib, with borrowed bits from Pabs' chmdeco project.
Originally written for UNIX systems (Linux, *BSD, Solaris), xCHM has been since ported to Mac OS X and Windows.

xCHM can show the content tree if one is available, print pages, change font face and size, remember bookmarks, display a searchable index, and search for words in the current page and the whole book.
This is still untested on the iLiad, but this package should work without problems.

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad.../xchm/xchm.zip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xchm.png
Views:	916
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2988  
Old 03-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira
i will like to probe in my iliad the image viewer, if you post the bin and the libs i will try to run it
http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...iew/gqview.zip

I seriously doubt it'll work without doing some modification to the root file system. I had to make changes on my virtual iLiad box for image libraries before it would launch.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

and your thought are correct directly, with the manifest that you have put don't work, if i go to a terminal and run the run.sh i obtain something similar to this

!!friendly warning the GQview was compiled with GTK+-2.8
running GTK+-2.6
GQview may quit unexcpectedly with a relocation error

(gqview:714:GdkPixbuf-WARNING **:error loading XPM image loader: Image type 'xpm' is not supported
Segmentation fault

Thanks to the fast reply of before ;-)
Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

If you're feeling adventurous...

Copy the extracted files to: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/

Then run the following command:
Code:
/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
Attached Files
File Type: gz loaders.tar.gz (232.5 KB, 611 views)

Last edited by Adam B.; 03-29-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
kapoira
Connoisseur

i will think the possibilities of a brick iliad, and if i feel that is easy to brick a iliad i will wait.

I think that you very fast will recibe a iliad with unbrick options ;-)
Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #13
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I have tested xchm and it works very well.

There are still some minor problems with it which unfortunately make it very uncomfortable to use at the moment:

-- page bar does not work (it cause the led blinking though)
-- no full screen refresh, only partial refresh
-- file window is small (long file names are not visible)
-- sometimes the screen does not refresh at all
-- you can search only the actual page, not the whole document

Now if a developer could only make the page bar working & also cause it to refresh the screen completely, that would be great. I wish I could do it myself, but I am afraid it would take too long for me just to learn how to set up the developing environment...
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
kapoira
Connoisseur

the size of the loaders inside of the iliad are more compacted it's normal....

i think that i will copy the originals, to a directory in the MMC

try your commands , and is anything goes wrong return the originals
Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira
the size of the loaders inside of the iliad are more compacted it's normal....

i think that i will copy the originals, to a directory in the MMC

try your commands , and is anything goes wrong return the originals
Sounds like the best way to do it. As I said, the file I uploaded was only tested in my development area...