Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Fujitsu FLEPia vs. iRex iLiad vs. DR1000 video

Let the games begin! Here is a video clip demonstrating how Fujitsu's FLEPia compares to the two iRex e-book readers, iLiad and DR1000. The biggest difference is obviously that the FLEPia display is in color. Unfortunately, its screen refresh still leaves a lot to be desired. See for yourself...

The video was apparently taken at the Termina Kinshicho Fujiya restaurant which has WiFi installed to serve news content to the e-readers.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
The fujitsu looks like it would get annoying very quickly. That refresh rate, the unresponsive zoom, it's all too distracting when you want to read. Nice to see a colour screen though
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Contrast seems to be inferior to E Ink, doesn't it?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I gotta say, my DR's refresh rate isn't quite as fast as the one in that video (so far I've only used it to look at PDF's, all of which appear to have multiple layers), but it's still a LOT faster than that FLEPia thing.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
I'd like to see a color screen without the touchscreen.
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
If you will look at 2:20 into the video, it appears that the page turns rapidly when it is just pictures with no embedded text. So the issue is with the controller not the screen technology.

That would also mean that (unless you wanted to do a bunch of zooming in) this could be quite adequate for comic books as is. Not that I don't want improvements in the controller.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
From the wiki:

Page update 2 seconds (8 colors), 10 seconds (4,096 colors)

I guess that if you want to read a novel, B&W book or manga in shades of gray, it's fast. Only if you want the colors, for magazines, graphc novels, comics... it takes 10 seconds.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
Just a quick blurb on it from slash gear.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
wake me up in 2013 when we have colour e-ink with good contrast...
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Is this really e-ink or a competing epaper technology?
Because with such low contrasts and low angle of vision -even for B&W only content- the screen seems quite bad, even without considering the refresh times that seems to comes from a slow controller or processor rather than from the screen.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has to be a controll issue, why would the right side of the display be faster than the rest otherwise?
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Is this really e-ink or a competing epaper technology?
It's a competing e-paper technology, using three layers of reflective cholesteric LCDs (ChLCD). See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 14.2_Shiu_ITRI.pdf (1.84 MB, 2282 views)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
It looks like the color is acceptable...from an extremely narrow viewing angle.
We'll put this down as "Doesn't share well with others".

It will handle four color comic books quite acceptably.
Photography of sunsets, not so much.

I can live with it, I think.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
pkovak
Connoisseur
pkovak began at the beginning.

Device: none
From what I saw, thanks, no I won't buy it.
pkovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #15
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Here's a link to the PDFs for the product (I could not find these had been posted before):
http://www.frontech.fujitsu.com/serv...pia/downloads/

Is this easy on the eyes the way my Sony 505 is? (I want this feature - would be a deal maker for me)
Does the screen emit light so can see at night? (I do not want this feature as not good for eyes - would be a deal killer for me)

Prices - according to here (a bit old) http://ameblo.jp/blade-factory/entry-10034258525.html

The smallest one is 2 man 7 sen = around $300 US!!

Anyone know where to buy one? - BTW I have family in Japan

Last edited by shousa; 02-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote