Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
erinjane2378
erinjane2378 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ebook club?

Hi everyone,
I was given a Sony POS-505 for Christmas. I love it, but am a little put off by the lack of available reserouces for inexpensive ebooks. I read a lot, so i tend to borrow most of my books from the library, but mine doesn't have much to offer in terms of free ebooks.

anyway, i was thinking that a netflix-type service might make sense for me -i.e. pay a monthly fee and be able to download a set number of ebooks. Is anyone aware of such services? I tend to read popluar fiction (e.g. NYT bestseller list), so I don't want to download books from Gutenberg, etc.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
erin
erinjane2378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinjane2378 View Post
Hi everyone,
I was given a Sony POS-505 for Christmas. I love it, but am a little put off by the lack of available reserouces for inexpensive ebooks. I read a lot, so i tend to borrow most of my books from the library, but mine doesn't have much to offer in terms of free ebooks.

anyway, i was thinking that a netflix-type service might make sense for me -i.e. pay a monthly fee and be able to download a set number of ebooks. Is anyone aware of such services? I tend to read popluar fiction (e.g. NYT bestseller list), so I don't want to download books from Gutenberg, etc.

erin
Nothing like that exists yet. Did you see the free ebooks that are available here on MobileRead? Most of them are public domain books, but there's some newer stuff in there too. There are also quite a few free ebooks available on Sony's site. Click the Fiction section, then "See all" (which is at the top) and sort by price. There should be 9 or so, that promo ends at the end of this month. There are also 16 free romance books from Harlequin right now.

It's not going to be easy to find NYT bestsellers for free, especially if your library doesn't have much in the way of ebooks.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
If your local library does not have much of a selection you can get a NY Public Library card for $100/year. You will have access to all of there ebooks. If you read a lot this may be well worth the price.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinjane2378 View Post
erin
Many libraries have ebooks using the Adobe DRM that the Sony supports. See our Wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Try webscription
http://www.webscription.net/
if you like SciFi

To help you decide if you like the selection there is Baen Free Library.
http://www.baen.com/library/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I belong to the Fairfax (VA) library and download ADE books from them for free. You keep them for 21 days at the end of which they disappear off your reader (or, actually, no longer function). And they read fine.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
readingrocks!
x
readingrocks! doesn't litterreadingrocks! doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Many libraries have ebooks using the Adobe DRM that the Sony supports. See our Wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

BOb

I just signed onto my local public library and discovered they have almost 1500 e-books available, with varied content represented.

Last edited by readingrocks!; 02-21-2009 at 07:42 PM.
readingrocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
We have a wiki page for just such an occasion. Visit it, it is lonely.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingrocks! View Post
Thanks, Bob. Wiki didn't list any libraries in Maryland, but I just signed onto my local public library and discovered they have almost 1500 e-books available, with varied content represented. I already found a dozen books to read.

Karen
Glad you found that. You should add your library to the Wiki... is it city wide, or state wide?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
limecello
limecello began at the beginning.

Device: none
you might also want to try: http://search.overdrive.com/

I'm not 100% how this works, because my local libraries have ebooks they lend out, through overdrive -so the main site might direct you to that. But, maybe not - so it's worth a try?
limecello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Doggonit!!!!

No one has welcomed you to MobileRead, so I'll be the first. Here goes:

Welcome to MobileRead!

Have fun!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
readingrocks!
x
readingrocks! doesn't litterreadingrocks! doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Glad you found that. You should add your library to the Wiki... is it city wide, or state wide?
BOb
It's a county-wide library. I will add it in, it's a terrific resource.

Last edited by readingrocks!; 02-21-2009 at 07:41 PM.
readingrocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Lots of free ebooks here, almost all are modern. Bestsellers aren't often given away for free legally, but the blog does list promotional offers from big name publishers and authors.

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cmbs; 02-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
erinjane2378
erinjane2378 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
thanks everyone for the great tips! I will explore all.
erinjane2378 is offline   Reply With Quote