Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
chilligirl
chilligirl began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Upgrade prs505 to Kobo Touch?

I have a prs 505 which I love, but don't use as much as I could simply because I have to connect it to a computer to browse for and download books. I know I would use built in wifi a lot.

Having looked at the available alternatives, the kobo touch seems to fit in terms of price and functions. I am based in the UK and ideally want to spend less than £100.

Would people recommend the kobo touch, or something else? And will I be disappointed after having used the prs 505 or pleasantly surprised?!

The option to sync with other devices also appeals, I have an ipod touch and although I wouldn't choose to read on that as my primary device it would be good to have the option sometimes.
chilligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Elonex 621eb, PRS-T1, HP Touchpad
I have a Sony PRS T1. The wireless feature is very good and I rarely connect to the PC and just download using Dropbox. I bought my son a Kobo Touch and been very impressed with it and there are some things I like about the Kobo more than the Sony. For £80 the Kobo Touch is a bargain compared to the Kindle Touch and the T1......
gari189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Kobo seems more prone to issues with page turns (but not everyone has problems), and some people are put off by the 'social integration' (reading rewards, recommended books etc) though much of it can be turned off. It does look a pretty nice reader though, and as gari189 just said, for £80 it's a bargain compared to the Kindle and the Sony.

As for whether you'd be disappointed after being used to your Sony, well the screen on the Kobo should be better, but going some people who have older Sony's and dislike some things about the Sony PRS-T1, probably the build quality and solid feel of the Sony won't be matched.

With that in mind, it might be worth your while visiting a WH Smith store to see if you can play around with one of the display models (not sure if John Lewis have any demo models out on display?).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Do you use Collections on your 505? AFAIK the Kobo has no similar organizational method.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Page turn problems that some people were having seem to be fixed now, I've never had problems with them myself and I always use the tap function (The Sony T1 only registers swipe).

All of the social reading can be turned off as can the Recommendations. It doesn't officially have bookshelves or folders yet, but you can activate them with a plug-in available here, since they are already there (Just not turned on for some reason).

But Kobo offers the most flexible page layout out of all the eReaders on the market AFAIK, you can adjust: Font Size, Font Style (And add more Fonts from your computer), Line Spacing, Margins and justification.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know you say "£100", but I'd really suggest spending £9 more and getting the Kindle Touch. It has by far the best UK bookstore, and excellent "on-device" buying abilities.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Page turn problems that some people were having seem to be fixed now, I've never had problems with them myself and I always use the tap function (The Sony T1 only registers swipe).
With a simple addition to the T1 software, you can tap to turn. I do it all the time. I never swipe.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Page turn problems that some people were having seem to be fixed now,...
No, they aren't.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a 505 and "upgraded" to a Kobo Touch. If knew ahead of time the about the problems I'm having with the Kobo Touch, I wouldn't have brought the Kobo Touch.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have a 505 (which I've lent to my husband), and I've upgraded to a PRS-350 and a PRS-T1. I think that you will likely enjoy the added functionality of the touch screen, ability to change fonts, wi-fi and added contrast of the T1, as well as the ability to download library books directly to the device through OverDrive. You also won't have to convert your existing ebooks, also a big plus.

The Kobo Touch seems like a great device as well, from what I've seen by playing around with my best friend's KT. I love that you can add your own fonts. I don't own one, however, so I can't comment any further on the KT.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
No, they aren't.
For many people they were, for the meantime you can use swipes, just like the T1.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For many people they were, for the meantime you can use swipes, just like the T1.
Or just use the T1.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Or just use the T1.
But tap works for most people. I realize that it doesn't work very well for you and I'm not trying to say that it isn't a problem, all I'm saying is that maybe Sony had problems too and just completely did away with taps?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But tap works for most people. ...
I heard the same arguments for the older firmware, and "most" people had "problems" with it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166744
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
I heard the same arguments for the older firmware, and "most" people had "problems" with it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166744
Okay, but remember that people come to this forum BECAUSE they have problems.

Tags
kobo touch, prs 505