Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarulf View Post
Hi,
I'm just starting on the last of Glen Cook's Black Company books, Soldier Lives and realized I have read very few fantasy books inspired by Indian culture, myths and beliefs.

All I can think of right now is Robert Silverberg's Majipoor series and Zelazny's Lord of Light. And of those I've actually only read Silverberg and LoL is SF (which Majipoor also is really).

So, any ideas?
I loved the early Black Company books, less so as the series progressed.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I love his Garrett PI Series. It is a combination of Nero Wolfe, Satire and Fantasy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #18
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Life of Pi!
Another vote. Good book.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
Another vote. Good book.

Alright, alright! I will read it
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
Jarulf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Perhaps Liz Williams Empire of bones.

Colin Cotterill's Dr. Siri Paiboun series are based in Laos.
Thank you, I'll definitely check them out.
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #21
Jarulf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I loved the early Black Company books, less so as the series progressed.
Hu, for me it's been almost the opposite.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
How about the epics?
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #23
Jarulf
Connoisseur

I did consider the classics. I'm just afraid it would turn into studying rather than pleasure reading as I would have to go to textbooks to understand the background and what was going on.

Nothing wrong about learning new stuff, but it isn't what I'm looking for at this time. That said, I would be interested in a good introduction to the early culture and history/archaeology of the region, something I'm woefully ignorant of.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
What sort of fantasy do you mean? Magical realism, or classic sword-and-sorcery, or something else?
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #25
Jarulf
Connoisseur

Not sure actually. I know that I'm not looking for your typical young hero(ine) who saves the world from the machinations of the followers of your typical evil god.

I generally prefer low-key stories that are more about the people and the settings than the grand epic stuff and the imminent doom of the world. Magical realism and invented settings are both fine.
I like both Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Fritz Leiber for example.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
An interesting article
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...e-fiction.html
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #27
Jarulf
Connoisseur

Thank you for the link. Interesting read.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #28
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
A very interesting one is Shiva 3000 by Jan Lars Jensen but it's more SF than Fantasy in the end.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #29
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Not fantasy, but Heinlein's _Citizen of the Galaxy_ has one culture very like to India.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #30
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
OK Just try out Shiva Trilogy by Amish Tripathi. Two of the books are out.

1. Immortals of Melhua.

2. The Secret of the Nagas.

3. Scheduled release 2012 end.

They make great reading and spell binding.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, india, science fiction