Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
angharad09
Enthusiast
angharad09 began at the beginning.

Device: none
what should I ask my client for next time?

Hello, I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. I'm relatively new to formatting e-books and my client knows even less about it than I do. They sent me a PDF that is producing a lot of garble. (I have tried converting it to .epub in Calibre, also saving it as Word, text, rtf, html -- it always comes through garbled.)

I don't mind cleaning it up this time, but it doesn't seem practical as an ongoing thing. What should I ask for next time?

I know PDF is not ideal, but if it has to be a PDF, would it help if the fonts were embedded? Should I ask for a Word or InDesign file instead if possible? Any helpful suggestions for how I should complete the sentence "I'll do it this time, but next time, please ...." would be much appreciated. The simpler the better, since it has to make sense to two different groups of non-techie people. I have Office 2011 and Creative Suite 5, but they may be working entirely in Office.

Thanks!
Amanda
angharad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Anything would be better than PDF. PDF is an output format. Word or HTML would be better. HTML, for preference. Word can be saved as filtered HTML, which usually converts fairly well.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't mind cleaning it up this time, but it doesn't seem practical as an ongoing thing. What should I ask for next time?
Ask for whatever they started with and then turned into a PDF. Whatever that ends up being will be easier to work with than the PDF.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote