Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo Desktop 2.0 / WiFi

I decided to bite the bullet and installed the new desktop in conjunction with my existing Kobo WiFi.

All seemed fine until I obtained a free book "The Road to Oz" from the store. It synced fine to the desktop and to the WiFi, but attempts to open it now result in a "Content Locked" message on the WiFi.

So caveat emporer.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I got the same issue with the wife's wifi last night when I loaded a new book into it from my own install..all the kobo's use my account so there should not have been an issue. I'm going to try removing it and try installing it from her PC, which still has the previous version of the desktop manager. If it doesn't want to go. At worse, I've already de-DRM'd the book in question and I'll just side load it if I have too, but it's something you would have thought KOBO would have checked before releasing a new version of the desktop manager...

Update - ok, so that was useless...going back to the previous desktop manager gives me the following message when trying to update:

" we are unable to update your device's database. Syncing cannot be completed".... nice.

doing a factory reset; will try the new software again, and if it doesn't work, I'll do another factory reset and try the old again. Does anyone do any type of compatibility testing over at Kobo?

Last edited by Psyke; 06-12-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: update
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've opened a support ticket so will see what happens.

I also dislike the fact that with a newspaper subscription, I used to be able to at least SEE all the editions on the desktop but not read them. That at least meant I could drop papers easily. Now, with the 2.0 desktop, I can't even see the editions on the desktop.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, the 2.0 version of the desktop software is currently not compatible with versions previous to the touch. after a factory reset on both my wife's wifi, and my old one, and re-sync of the books from the 2.0 software, none of the books were accessible. I did a another reset and re-synced from my wife's PC where we have the 1.9 software and all was good.

This becomes very problematic though for people who have one computer but multiple kobo's. As soon as they upgrade to the 2.0, anyone who doesn't have a touch will be screwed. This is terribly poor quality control on the part of KOBO that hangs a pretty dark cloud on a rather nice new product. I've been generally positive about KOBO, but this is just starting to get silly, and people are just not going to take them seriously if they keep it up.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
This becomes very problematic though for people who have one computer but multiple kobo's. As soon as they upgrade to the 2.0, anyone who doesn't have a touch will be screwed.
I'm using desktop version 2.0 that I downloaded today and all seems fine with my Kobo WiFi model.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I'm using desktop version 2.0 that I downloaded today and all seems fine with my Kobo WiFi model.

ltr
possibly a new version? what does your info show you? mine shows 2.0.0

Unfortunately, there still doesn't seem to be an auto update, and the old installer from the kobo wifi doesn't download the latest version when it tries to install anymore.

Also, have you tried to open books that were new to the kobo? For example, the book "The Second ship" was already on the kobo when we had originally updated and synced with the desktop manager 2. The book itself wasn't updated so it worked fine. When we tried "Transformers Dark of the Moon", which was newly synced to the Kobo, it did not work and gave the locked message. When we re-set to factory, all books got re-synced and they all started giving the locked message.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Mine is also 2.0.0.

Books that were on the Kobo WiFi prior to the desktop upgrade are fine, as are books obtained via WiFi from the store. However books new books acquired by desktop and synced fail.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Psyke - yep, you're correct. I guess I spoke too soon that it was OK - it's not.

The desktop version 2.0 does not work properly with my Kobo WiFi. Mine acts as PeterT in post above states.

I had to do a reset and then unload desktop vers 2.0, and then reload desktop vers 1.9, and resync all my books to get back to normal.

So, interesting. What are people to do who have both versions of the Kobo eReader in the house suppose to do?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I tried a reset and then a full reload from 2.0; made it so that nothing was readable
Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist

[QUOTE=PeterT;1603309]I tried a reset and then a full reload from 2.0; made it so that nothing was readable [/QUOTE

yup, as I mentioned above . and if you try to sync it with the 1.9 software without another factory reset, you'll get the message mentioned above as well. Fortunately however once you do the factory reset and use the 1.9 software, all will be back to the normal; unfortunately, this also means you have to maintain two versions of the software until they get this fixed, which is slightly problematic if you only have one PC....
Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
An update to desktop application for older Kobos will be issued once we have ironed out the bugs and officially added support for them to the new desktop; so I would caution against updating. If you have updated and are getting content locked try logging out and logging back in on the desktop, that might solve the problem.

Last edited by MDK; 06-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Oh well Just downgrading desktop as we speak and getting set to reset

You honestly need to get some of us trying stuff out before it's released (and maybe release on a Monday not a Friday :P )
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Smile

ARGH... I just DID another reset / reload with 1.9 desktop; all Kobo material still shows locked!

EDIT:

WEIRD... Logged out of desktop; logged back in; did a resync and now it works!

Last edited by PeterT; 06-12-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
An update to desktop application for older Kobos will be issued once we have ironed out the bugs and officially added support for them to the new desktop; so I would caution against updating. If you have updated and are getting content locked try logging out and logging back in on the desktop, that might solve the problem.
MDK, this is all and good, but none of this is explained on your website; what of the hapless people who don't know any better and see that there's a new desktop app, or go to the site to download it because they just reinstalled their OS; it's causing a lot of problems that could be avoided by specifying this on your website when you go and grab the app in the first place. This and the fact that the old app is no longer available on the website to boot...
Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
This and the fact that the old app is no longer available on the website to boot...
The old app is available on the site right here: http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote