Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
schroedercl2
Enthusiast
schroedercl2 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Red face Do eBooks Change What You Read?

If you're new to eBooks, picking the category that appeals most to you might be difficult. You know the BOOK categories that appeal to you. You feel right at home in the library or at the bookstore. But do those interests translate to eBooks?

Click here to read the rest of the article.
schroedercl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Availability and technological limitations also affect what I read on an ebook reader. Things that I generally prefer to read in real life cannot be done well on ebook reader devices yet, and so in order to get use out of my gadget, I resort to reading different material that is more suited to the medium.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Most of what I read I have to read in digital anyway so ebooks are natural for me. I have tried ebook readers and notebooks and desktops. I have purchased a netbook and I love it it gives me what I need access to the internet, which is where most of the material I read is anyway. When it comes to reading for pleasure I had the kindle for pc and the barnes and noble ebook reader for pc.
I know this is not for all or even most people but it is what works for me.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I've found that e-books has opened up books that I wouldn't have purchased if they were paperback formats; that I've been introduced to authors that I wouldn't have read pre-digital reader.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Since I bought my first ebook reader, I've read a great deal more fiction in english - and it's only because I can't get ebooks in danish yet that I still read the occasional p-book. I rarely go to the library for fiction anymore. I've become more aware of older books, though I can't say I've read more of them (yet).

For non-fiction, I can't get most of what I want in digital format, so I still buy them as p-books. It hasn't really changed my habits.

Added: Whenever I open a p-book now, I notice the small type - and that can be enough to put me off reading it. Not that I need special large type, but a bit larger than print books usualy are, just seem so much more comfortable. Combine that with a light, easy to hold device compared to a heavy book!

Last edited by Ea; 01-19-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Due to geographical restrictions (I'm in Aus) I've been ereading more older PD books, first on my netbook, now on the Sony 505.

I've always read alot of fiction and have read most of the old 'classics', now I'm getting into some of the lesser known authors.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It changes my reading habits slightly. Some books which I have been meaning to read for a long time and might have sat on my bookshelf are always handy.

I can flick them open in seconds and get stuck in, it's brilliant. Also I think I have started reading a lot more sci-fi because I can put entire series of books (which might have weighed kilograms) on my reader.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
My reading habit has not changed as much as what I read. I am now willing to try new authors & categories. Books that I wanted to read but seemed a bit boring sit on my reader as I can easily read a few pages and then jump out.

I love the new world that has opened up for me with the reader.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
E-readers have not changed what I read, but they've definitely changed how much I read, if only because of the convenience. E-readers are much more user friendly than a heavy paperback or hardcover, and easy to carry around.

Nevertheless, the content I read has changed in the past year; not because of the Kindle, but because of this website. Since becoming a MobileRead member, I read much more fiction, mostly due to the influence of other members.

One other factor figures into this equation. Several months ago, my old 13 inch TV finally gave up the ghost, and for the life of me, with all the crap that's currently on TV, I can't justify the expense of buying another; especially since practically anything I do find watch-worthy is already on the web. I bought a season pass to Lie To Me from iTunes, and once a week I go into the living room and watch Smallville with my wife on her TV. That's enough. I do miss the Sunday morning talk shows, however.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-19-2010 at 06:29 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Since I bought my first ebook reader, I've read a great deal more fiction in english
Ditto. Not only in English, French and Italian too.

Quote:
and it's only because I can't get ebooks in danish yet that I still read the occasional p-book.
In my case, it's not only because I can't get them in Spanish, but because I read the "classics", copyright-free works, and I try to read them in their original language if I can.

Quote:
I rarely go to the library for fiction anymore
I still have many many paper books at home, in Spanish, and under copyright, and I read them too.

Quote:
I've become more aware of older books, though I can't say I've read more of them (yet).
I have, and I'm enjoying them a lot
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, i did someting i never did before, someday i wanted to read in french, i just went browsing the fnac's website, bumping on some totally unknow to me book. When going to the book, i come in knowing what book i want to buy, and won't go with someting else.
And i've been reading more "new" stufff than ever before. (New as in "i've never read it before".
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Since there are very few digital books available in my native language, translated or not, I now read only English fiction. When I used to read paper books I only read Dutch novels. So yes, changing to digital books influenced my reading.
Also I tend to read more. No more waiting until some part of a series is returned to the library (I usually don't buy books). And the number of books accessible to me has increased by a lot.
As for what I read didn't change. Still the same genres and I still prefer the longer ones.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I've become more political in my reading habits since I purchased a reader, as in my actions are now no longer based solely upon 'wanting' to read, but on supporting that which is fair, honest and what is attuned to my own beliefs about digital freedom. I no longer support any system or author that has DRM or geographic restrictions near their work. I now read a lot more classics that are available in the Public Domain, and a lot of new and experimental authors who release their works under the Creative Commons license.

It has definitively changed my reading habits, and all for the better.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I read a lot more junk than I used to. I am a sucker for the free/$1/$2 deals and wind up buying stuff I never would have bought. I am being much more careful this year now that the novelty has worn off. As I get through my backlog of purchased stuff, I want to focus on reading higher-quality books and getting more new books from the library or from the PD.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My reading habits have changed. First, I read a lot more than I used to - I no longer have to chose between my knitting bag and my hardcover from the library. I have also read a lot more authors - by checking latest ebook releases at the library, I am exposed to all sorts of fiction and nonfiction I never would have looked at in the library or at the bookstore. If I find a genre I haven't read before, I can use the Amazon store to get more of that genre. So actually, my ereader has broadened my interests.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks