Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Where are there ebook libraries??

Now that profjulie has discovered how to read library ebooks with her Cybook Gen3, people may be looking for ebook libraries (elibraries) where they can check out ebooks.

There has been some talk on this BLOG about "clevnet" which seems to be restricted to libraries in the Cleveland Ohio (USA) area. However since electrons can easily travel worldwide, is there any reason to restrict ebook check out to geographical areas? Are there any elibraries that are open to the general public, regardless of where they live? Does anyone know of cooperative efforts of elibraries across geo-political boundries?

I live in north Alabama and have not found any elibraries where fiction ebooks can be checked out.

It would be interesting to compile a list of elibraries along with their check out restrictions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Now that profjulie has discovered how to read library ebooks with her Cybook Gen3, people may be looking for ebook libraries (elibraries) where they can check out ebooks.

There has been some talk on this BLOG about "clevnet" which seems to be restricted to libraries in the Cleveland Ohio (USA) area. However since electrons can easily travel worldwide, is there any reason to restrict ebook check out to geographical areas? Are there any elibraries that are open to the general public, regardless of where they live? Does anyone know of cooperative efforts of elibraries across geo-political boundries?

I live in north Alabama and have not found any elibraries where fiction ebooks can be checked out.

It would be interesting to compile a list of elibraries along with their check out restrictions.
there are some libraries that permit full checkout by anybody but they are few and far between and are usually Universities. check my web site for more on this topic and other eBook stuff.

Public libraries use public funds for purchasing the books and these funds are generated by local taxes. For this reason they limit the checkout to people who paid for the books. This is generally done by requiring a locally obtained library card. By rights you need to check with your local library and convince them to offer eBooks. This is where the tax money you paid was spent. You can't expect tax money spent in another state or even another county to be used by you for free.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I searched and searched the internet for libraries that have eBook collections. Unfortunately, there are no libraries in the area where I live, university or otherwise, that offers this option. I found libraries that allow me to read books online but not check them out.

In my search I found Cleveland, OH, New York, and Seattle, WA. My sister lives in Seattle, WA, so I borrowed her library card for a time to see how well it works. Now that I know I'll be able to check electronic books out of the Seattle library, I'll see if I can buy a non resident Library card from Seattle.

I found a few other web-only libraries that I could pay a subscription fee to, but their eBook collection was not very extensive.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 03-18-2008 at 01:11 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
However since electrons can easily travel worldwide, is there any reason to restrict ebook check out to geographical areas?
I would imagine that the reason is that those libraries are being funded by the taxpayers of the areas concerned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Fictionwise has a subscription-based lending library that most anyone can join:

http://www.libwise.com/fll/

I wish there was a way to donate DRM ebooks to lending libraries......
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I think the NY Public library allows out of state lending, but they charge an annual fee for the service. Probably makes sense depending on how much you read and how large their system is.

I'm in the Cleveland area, so I have a large local selection available for download as either e-book or audiobook (over 8,000 fiction titles, I'm not certain what non-fiction is up to).
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist

I've looked over Cleveland's electronic collection and it is quite extensive...I wish I could get an out-of-state library card for your library..but I don't think it is possible.

It looks like anyone can get buy an annual card from the New York Public Library for $100 a year:

http://www.nypl.org/books/cards.html

I'll have to spend some time perusing their Digital collections.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 03-18-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post

Thanks ProfJulie, I'm already a member of their BuyWise club and had not been aware of this.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:

30 dollars a year... and you can have 3 books checked out at once...

Seems pretty good!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My local county library system only allows residents to check out ebooks. That's probably because you have to have a library card to access the online library and they only allow residents to get a library card.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:

Very good to know and tempting considering you also get discounts on books you buy, but their selection is extremely limited. Maybe it'll be better in the future
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #12
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:

I also suggest a Google search for site:libwise.com. There are many other libraries using this system, and some of them don't even charge a fee. My favorite is the KnowBetter Lending Library (many books, for free).
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
I also suggest a Google search for site:libwise.com. There are many other libraries using this system, and some of them don't even charge a fee. My favorite is the KnowBetter Lending Library (many books, for free).
This is somehow connected to Fictionwise. I "borrowed" a book there & it shows up on my Fictionwise borrowed list.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
This is somehow connected to Fictionwise. I "borrowed" a book there & it shows up on my Fictionwise borrowed list.

That's not suprising since Fictionwise owns the technology and leases it out. I looked into this myself and you basically contract with Fictionwise in a subscription fee type of arrangement. If I remember correctly, Fictionwise provides the technology and the books and you pay based on the number of subscribers you have.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Their selection is still limited, and it's not free, it's $19.95/year.

edit:
I looked at the rest of the results from a google search for libwise and they all appear to be local libraries. I tried to sign up for one and it required my library card number, which of course isn't going to match their system. So it looks like right now KnowBetter is the better choice than Fictionwise because they do seem to have a larger selection, and it's $10 less/year (of course at fictionwise you're also getting their buyer's club).

Last edited by cmbs; 04-08-2008 at 12:10 AM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote