Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
sana
sana began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Question on previously purchased content

Hi All -

I was wondering if anyone has any information on whether content from www.ebooks.com is DRM or if I will be able to send onto my Kindle when it arrives?

I purchased some books online - seeing lots of content, but after browsing here, I notice most people here use fictionwise - which has no DRM?

I appreciate the feedback.
sana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sana View Post
Hi All -

I was wondering if anyone has any information on whether content from www.ebooks.com is DRM or if I will be able to send onto my Kindle when it arrives?
If you click the "Help" link on the site it tells you that they sell three formats - Microsoft Reader, MobiPocket, and Adobe. All are DRM formats. With a little effort you can (if legal where you live) convert both Microsoft Reader and MobiPocket formats for the Kindle, but not the Adobe.

Quote:
I purchased some books online - seeing lots of content, but after browsing here, I notice most people here use fictionwise - which has no DRM?
Fictionwise sell books both with and without DRM; the description of an individual book on the Fictionwise site tells you which formats it's available in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
sana

harry - thanks for the feedback! i just wish i had read information on this forum prior to buying any content to begin with. i had planned on buying an e-reader, but never thought about content protection until i got really ready to plunck down the money. now i've got content that i won't be able to tranfer
Old 02-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
sana

Do you think if I sent the proprietary PDF format to the kindle, they will be able to convert it?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sana View Post
Do you think if I sent the proprietary PDF format to the kindle, they will be able to convert it?
Unfortunately no.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Basically, stay away from PDF DRM or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
sana

that stinks. i bought these books thinking that i was buying the sony reader. initially, i thought - i have to buy pdf b/c it supports pdf. now that i'm waiting for my kindle - i wish there was a way to break the drm! grr.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you had purchased Mobipocket, MS Reader, or eReader format, then you would have a chance to remove the DRM to convert. But seeing that you've purchased PDF, the only thing you can do is read it on your computer. So it's not a total loss.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote