Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #1486
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Do I have to uninstall JBPatch for FW 5.3.7? Any slim chance that new version would come out? It's such a good patch!
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #1487
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
Do I have to uninstall JBPatch for FW 5.3.7? Any slim chance that new version would come out? It's such a good patch!
You don't necessarily have to uninstall it, but it won't work anyway, so yes, it makes sense to uninstall it.

Concerning your second question: Most probably not.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #1488
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Concerning your second question: Most probably not.
I think I have found the problem with lab126's Java:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hidden-surprise-mug.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	109645  
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1489
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I think I have found the problem with lab126's Java:

Nope, the problem is not with their Java - the problem is with their closed-mindedness I dimly remember that it was you who pointed out the inherent stupidity of a "not invented here" mindset, and all the repercussions that it can have.

Unfortunately, JBPatch is an example. They successfully stifled an extremely interesting endeavour by destroying it through behaving like .... (*looking up euphemisms*) ... (*couldn't find any*) ... well, like they did.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #1490
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, JBPatch is an example. They successfully stifled an extremely interesting endeavour by destroying it through behaving like .... (*looking up euphemisms*) ... (*couldn't find any*) ... well, like they did.
Words not needed, just view the full size image above, you can see what they did in the bottom of the coffee cup.

If it wasn't for the "not invented here" in the case of the Collection Manger - -
They **should** just hire you to adapt it to their internal requirements and adopt it.
or a "Private Label" version of it (the author can multiple license his work as he sees fit).

I think they should also "buy" a "Private Label" version of Komic.
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #1491
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Words not needed, just view the full size image above, you can see what they did in the bottom of the coffee cup.

If it wasn't for the "not invented here" in the case of the Collection Manger - -
They **should** just hire you to adapt it to their internal requirements and adopt it.
or a "Private Label" version of it (the author can multiple license his work as he sees fit).

I think they should also "buy" a "Private Label" version of Komic.
Heck, all the stuff that I release here is licensed under the Do What the Fuck You Want to Public License. That's the most liberal license I've ever seen. So for my stuff, they don't need any kind of permission, and they're free to incorporate that functionality at any time. But it won't happen anyway, simply because: it wasn't invented by the bright minds at lab126.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #1492
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Heck, all the stuff that I release here is licensed under the Do What the Fuck You Want to Public License. That's the most liberal license I've ever seen. So for my stuff, they don't need any kind of permission, and they're free to incorporate that functionality at any time. But it won't happen anyway, simply because: it wasn't invented by the bright minds at lab126.
Totally and also IANAL, but MIT license (or CC0 if you are OK with complete waiving of copyright) is probably better than WTFPL for legal purposes (MIT disclaims implied warranties) while keeping most of practical liberality of WTFPL.

See recent discussion on Hacker News.

But, again, IANAL, so maybe discussed points are FUD. Also, WTFPL is much funnier than MIT.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #1493
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Totally and also IANAL, but MIT license (or CC0 if you are OK with complete waiving of copyright) is probably better than WTFPL for legal purposes (MIT disclaims implied warranties) while keeping most of practical liberality of WTFPL.

See recent discussion on Hacker News.
... which (*if* it is even determined to be a valid debate over legal terms) only shows how perverted the entire system is. If clearly stating "just do whatever you want" isn't enough, because "you may not have disclaimed all your legal responsibilities", then something is simply wrong with the system, not with the license.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-19-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #1494
ixtab
(offline)

Coma

(yes,this is off-topic)

Here's my all-time favorite song. I also hate people who tell me to plug in the headphones, but... plug your headphones in. Do it.

(lyrics)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #1495
semenoof
semenoof began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
Kindle 5 (non touch)

Hello frends,
could you write me if it's possible to apply this path to my Kindle 5? It's Kindle 4 made in 2012 - it's black and without touch screen too.
semenoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #1496
ixtab
(offline)

No, not out of the box. Yes, if you adapt the source code of JBPatch itself for the K4, and write patches for the K4 firmwares.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #1497
semenoof

Kindle 5 (non touch)

I'm newbie on this forum. Could you help me to adopt this patch for Kindle 5?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #1498
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by semenoof View Post
I'm newbie on this forum. Could you help me to adopt this patch for Kindle 5?
The members here know the "Black, Kindle 4" as a K4 or K4B.

If you used that term, you are more likely to catch the eye of people who know that model.

The "Kindle 5" term is a marketing name given to the K4B.

- - - - -

Unless your in Russia, where that is the commonly used name for the K4B.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #1499
semenoof

Quote:
The members here know the "Black, Kindle 4" as a K4 or K4B.

If you used that term, you are more likely to catch the eye of people who know that model.

The "Kindle 5" term is a marketing name given to the K4B.

- - - - -

Unless your in Russia, where that is the commonly used name for the K4B.
Yes, you are right. I've K4B. And could you explain me how can I get the next features in build-in reader of Kindle (native reader):
1. To display the current time (not to press the "menu" key)
2. To get hyphenations in old mobi format without convertation.
3. Swap surname and name of the author and possibly hide the middle name without convertation.
Example: Julian Patrick Barnes.
I want to see: "Barnes Julian" while sorting by author.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #1500
ixtab
(offline)

1. Port JBPatch to the K4.
2. Decompile the firmware to find where the respective functionality is implemented.
3. Write patch to adapt the functionality. (Check the first post for links to two small HOWTOs)
4. Publish the results of 1.) and 3.) here.

If you are having problems with a particular step, feel free to ask - but please, precise and specific questions.

And, read this first: http://whathaveyoutried.com/

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks