Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
2 Neil Gaiman books for $3.99 each in Kindle Store: InterWorld -or- M Is for Magic

InterWorld
by Neil Gaiman
http://www.amazon.com/InterWorld/dp/...7587736&sr=1-3
$3.99 (Hardcover is $6.80)

Editorial Reviews
From Booklist

A lad discovers that he can walk between alternate Earths—and is swept up in a war between them in this fast-paced, compulsively readable tale. Joey gets lost in his own house, but when he steps into a patch of fog and finds himself in a world where he died, a trillion Earths lie open to him...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

M Is for Magic
by Neil Gaiman
http://www.amazon.com/M-Is-for-Magic...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
$3.99 (paperback is $6.99)

Editorial Reviews
Short Extract From Publishers Weekly

Taking both inspiration and naming convention from Ray Bradbury's R Is for Rocket and S Is for Space, Gaiman's first YA anthology is a fine collection of previously published short stories. Ages 10-up. (July)

Extract fromFrom Booklist
A modern master of fantasy has selected nine of his short stories and a poem and added a segment from an upcoming children's title for this volume, appropriately titled in homage to a past master, Ray Bradbury.

Last edited by Patricia; 11-17-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: I'm afraid that it's a copyright violation to quote an article in full. But short extracts are OK.
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm afraid that pasting in a whole article is a violation of copyright. Short quotations are fine - they can be considered as "fair use." And if one gives a link the the original article then people can read it for themselves.

We asked Xia to edit the original post. As she hasn't got back to us, we did it ourselves.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm afraid that pasting in a whole article is a violation of copyright. Short quotations are fine - they can be considered as "fair use." And if one gives a link the the original article then people can read it for themselves.

We asked Xia to edit the original post. As she hasn't got back to us, we did it ourselves.
Hold on, what?

If you edited the Booklink thing for M Is For Magic, that is from the Amazon page. How is it a violation of copyright to repost it?
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Sporadic,

Xia had posted the Reviews from the Amazon web site for these two books, not the book description/synopsis. For bigger-selling authors, you have to hunt a bit to find just the Product Description. The reviews are under copyright - although short quotes are fine, generally using the entire thing is not (without permission and generally compensation).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am a Gaiman fan and got Interworld when it was on sale at Fictionwise and was pretty disappointed with it. It's one of his earliest works and far from his best.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I really enjoyed The Graveyard Book, and the movie Mirrormask is excellent.

I think I'll take ficbot's advice and skip the cheap books for now. I still need to read
Coraline, Neverwhere, American Gods, and Anansi Boys.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am a Gaiman fan and got Interworld when it was on sale at Fictionwise and was pretty disappointed with it. It's one of his earliest works and far from his best.
I got it recently and haven't yet read it. It is my understanding that he didn't write it by himself, he wrote it with Micheal Reaves; maybe that has something to do with why you didn't enjoy it. I am a fan of Gaiman as well, but I found Good Omens (which he wrote with Terry Pratchett) a little disappointing.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I rather enjoyed it, but I was struck by how similar his universe was to that of Diana Wynne Jones' Deep Secret. Same setup, a series of worlds ranging from magic-dominated (with centaurs, a suspicious similarity) to science-dominated. In DWJ's book, the good guys are trying to bring magic to the scientific worlds; in Gaiman's there are two groups of bad guys pushing for magic or science, while the good guys try to keep a balance. I believe the two authors know each other, so I'm wondering which way the influence flowed!
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote