Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Sharing an ebook READER with drm involved

I guess most questions about drm centre on issues of sharing books, but what if, as in my case, two people are sharing the same reader device.

My wife is not yet sure she wants an ebook reader, so she is trying my PP when I am not using it. Now she already has a few ebooks that she bought and has downloaded - so she has her own Adobe ID on her desktop computer.

Can the PP be authorised for Adobe drm'd books, to more than one computer at the same time? I authorised it to hers so she could transfer a couple of new books that she bought, just to try out the PP reader. If I wanted to buy some drm'd books for myself, can I authorise the reader to my computer and Adobe ID as well?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
so she has her own Adobe ID on her desktop computer.
Really... that was a mistake. You should use one Adobe ID so you can share all your books on the same device and/or on different devices.

You can auth/unauth constantly... but that will just be a pain.

The other option is to remove the DRM from the books you buy or she buys so they will all work on the reader without doing the auth dance.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not too late to arrange us both to use the one ID (and de-drm the few already purchased).

Good suggestion !!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I guess most questions about drm centre on issues of sharing books, but what if, as in my case, two people are sharing the same reader device.

My wife is not yet sure she wants an ebook reader, so she is trying my PP when I am not using it. Now she already has a few ebooks that she bought and has downloaded - so she has her own Adobe ID on her desktop computer.

Can the PP be authorised for Adobe drm'd books, to more than one computer at the same time? I authorised it to hers so she could transfer a couple of new books that she bought, just to try out the PP reader. If I wanted to buy some drm'd books for myself, can I authorise the reader to my computer and Adobe ID as well?
My understanding (and I may be wrong about this) is that it is okay to share drm files, the theory being that yew pass it on without giving the code, thus it becomes like lending a book. At least I think I remember ereader mentioning this once upon a time. The rules may have changed, though. It was a llllooonnngggg time ago when I read that policy.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
My understanding (and I may be wrong about this) is that it is okay to share drm files, the theory being that yew pass it on without giving the code, thus it becomes like lending a book. At least I think I remember ereader mentioning this once upon a time. The rules may have changed, though. It was a llllooonnngggg time ago when I read that policy.
I suppose she COULD 'lend' it to me, then read it on my reader, but it would be better if the one reader could be authorised for both our Adobe ID's.
Advert