Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Waterstones - Dreadful Prices

I am really gutted...

Whilst I very rarely use Waterstones any more, there is the odd occasion when the book I am after is either only available in the UK or Waterstones for some reason have it cheaper than the US.

Recently I wanted to purchase Q & A (Slumdog Millionaire) but on principle refuse to since it is about 65% more expensive than the paperback version. Another book I was interested in - The Gargoyle is again more expensive for the E-book version by almost double!

I have been mailing Waterstones, but their general reply is 'we are sorry you are unhappy'. On the last occasion they did say that they would forward my mail to the 'Managing Team' (whoever they are!)

Fair enough, these books are on offer, but why does the paperback get a 50% discount while the ebook only gets a 20%.

Hopefully something will be done to rectify this.

My biggest gripe is that when I bought my Sony Ebook Reader from Waterstones, I asked what the price difference was and they told me that in general the Ebook was 10% CHEAPER...

EDIT - Title is a typo, meant 'prices' - seems I can't edit the title now
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One reason that eBooks can be more expensive is simply down to the fact that eBooks are subject to VAT, while paper books are zero rated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

That's fair enough. I would happily accept that if Waterstones explained it to me. I would also accept it if the staff had told me that when I first purchased the reader rather than telling me the books would be cheaper. I would also accept it if the support staff said that in their response to my mails.

As it is, Waterstones have never explained why other than several months ago when they said the prices where dictated by the publisher - something I happily explained meant they should have both versions at the same price as that is what the publisher sold them as (based on a mail I received from the publisher when asking their price reasoning)

I rarely buy from Waterstones as Fictionwise is much cheaper (usually) so it isn't much of a problem. Just would be nice to have the choice - even if both versions were the same price or really similar! A 15% difference (tax) would almost be acceptable (still annoying) but the 50% - 65% markups are unjustifiable.

And thank you for fixing the title
Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
I bought my Sony when it first came out in the UK last year. Since then I have bought several hundred ebooks but not a single one from Waterstones. I do have a look at their books every now and then but I just laugh and go somewhere else.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Have you tried WH Smiths?
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlizz View Post
Have you tried WH Smiths?
lizz
Their prices are worse... They advertise one price and then slap on tax at checkout!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I am in total agreement. The prices are just rediculous!!!! I cannot even spend my points. And why don't Waterstones do books in the proper Sony format?? And if they want to save VAT then they should sell them from Jersey like Play.com do. In fact when you think about it why don't Play sell ebooks?
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Their prices are worse... They advertise one price and then slap on tax at checkout!
So does MobiPocket, which is something to remember when comparing prices...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They don't know what country you're in until you check-out, so they cannot reasonably know whether or not you're liable for VAT until that time.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They don't know what country you're in until you check-out, so they cannot reasonably know whether or not you're liable for VAT until that time.
It should be fairly easy to determine what country you are in based on your IP address... Many other places use this as a reliable method! Fair enough there are ways around this (such as proxies) but the number of people who know about this are far less than those who do!

Penguin Books UK manage to give a price inclusive of Tax as do waterstones. Why can't Whsmith?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I have also been writing to Waterstones pointing out that their prices are crazy. I got...

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the price difference between
ebooks and other formats online.

There are a number of reasons why the prices are different online but as
this is an exclusive product prices may vary, I would like to inform you
that in the future there will be reductions and promotions as the item
becomes more popular.

I do apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kind regards,
They have most current eBooks discounted by 20% against the jacket price. However, given they have many paperbacks on the site discounted by 40%, and many books in store on a 3 for 2 deal, this is pretty hopeless.

In my mail that warranted the above response, I did point out that they had a brief period of Kindle free time to establish themselves. Their book prices seem to indicate they don't see eReaders as part of the long term UK business model. I think they are mad!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I am really gutted...

Whilst I very rarely use Waterstones any more, there is the odd occasion when the book I am after is either only available in the UK or Waterstones for some reason have it cheaper than the US.

Recently I wanted to purchase Q & A (Slumdog Millionaire) but on principle refuse to since it is about 65% more expensive than the paperback version. Another book I was interested in - The Gargoyle is again more expensive for the E-book version by almost double!

I have been mailing Waterstones, but their general reply is 'we are sorry you are unhappy'. On the last occasion they did say that they would forward my mail to the 'Managing Team' (whoever they are!)

Fair enough, these books are on offer, but why does the paperback get a 50% discount while the ebook only gets a 20%.

Hopefully something will be done to rectify this.

My biggest gripe is that when I bought my Sony Ebook Reader from Waterstones, I asked what the price difference was and they told me that in general the Ebook was 10% CHEAPER...

EDIT - Title is a typo, meant 'prices' - seems I can't edit the title now
Now that the title has been edited, I wish I knew what the typo was?? I'm imagining all sorts of interesting possibilities .... my favorite so far is:

Waterstones Dreadful Pricks.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #13
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I have also been writing to Waterstones pointing out that their prices are crazy. I got...
Damn... It is a standard E-mail. That is the exact mail I received, word for word!! After pushing it further they politely told me to F Off and write to Head Office...
Old 03-08-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It should be fairly easy to determine what country you are in based on your IP address... Many other places use this as a reliable method! Fair enough there are ways around this (such as proxies) but the number of people who know about this are far less than those who do!

Penguin Books UK manage to give a price inclusive of Tax as do waterstones. Why can't Whsmith?
My point is that WH Smith's are not alone in adding the VAT at the point of checkout. It's an entirely standard practice which many web sites use. You cannot say that they are doing something "bad" in doing this.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My point is that WH Smith's are not alone in adding the VAT at the point of checkout. It's an entirely standard practice which many web sites use. You cannot say that they are doing something "bad" in doing this.
In all my internet shopping, I have very rarely come across a site that adds VAT at checkout. It is quite annoying when trying to compare prices! Basically I don't use WHSmith and only use Waterstones if cheaper than fictionwise (with some of their offers, there are some actually cheaper) or not available at fictionwise.

My main gripe is that Waterstones
a) stated ebooks would be cheaper
b) offer huge discounts on PB but next to nothing on ebook
c) have a stock answer (as per above) meaning that enough people have compained but they don't seem to be doing much about it!