Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you want to sell from established ebook sites, then you have to do what they want in terms of formatting. So your first job is finding the sites you want to deal with.

If you want to produce DRM-free ebooks in multiple formats to (say) sell from your own web site, then I suggest starting with PDF (even though not many people here prefer this) because it is often the most downloaded format. Open Office has a very good PDF export option, and Word Perfect might as well (if not, see if Open Office will import your word perfect files). One way to support EInk devices is to produce a 2nd PDF formated for a small screen. A typical PDF template (from FeedBooks) is: However, what you are probably looking for is advice on reflowable formats. The best starting point is a clean single-file HTML (plus images). Again, Word Perfect might be able to produce one for you. Then I would use Calibre to import the HTML and export LRF, ePub and MOBI (and LIT, although this requires using the command line). Calibre has its own forum here. It is not primarily an authoring tool, but if you have a clean HTML version it can do a very good format shift to other formats and it will in addition detect chapters and add a TOC for you. This is where you may have to play with your HTML or with Calibre's "rules" for chapters to get the output to your liking. Spending some time on your first ebook transfer will make the others smoother. Note that if you don't have a HTML version, Calibre can import PDF (if it is very clean, which it might be coming directly from Word Perfect), or multi-file HTML, and several other formats. Generally, HTML is best and single file HTML is simplest.
Bingo! That's what I was hoping. HTML...no problem. I design several websites. Wrote my first from scratch. Now use a wysiwyg web design program...cuz I'm lazy. WP does a very good PDF, and its base file is infinitely cleaner than Word. Word has to be the messiest word processor I've ever been forced to use. Have downloaded Calibre and Mobi and look forward to playing with them.

Thanks SO much for the mini-PDF dimensions. Extremely useful. (Taking quick note)
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've seen a few authors (I think Cory Doctorow may fall into this category) who've released ebooks in a rather limited set of formats and relied upon the user community to assist in creating the other formats. I'm not sure if this could be worked into a pay model as I've only ever seen free works with this model, but perhaps a discount on a future ebook purchase to readers who convert a basic HTML file into another format might work?

Just thinking out loud here.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
I've seen a few authors (I think Cory Doctorow may fall into this category) who've released ebooks in a rather limited set of formats and relied upon the user community to assist in creating the other formats. I'm not sure if this could be worked into a pay model as I've only ever seen free works with this model, but perhaps a discount on a future ebook purchase to readers who convert a basic HTML file into another format might work?

Just thinking out loud here.
Interesting notion. (taking another note) I'll see how many I can create with the given programs and go from there.

Heck, I'd be willing to give discounts to people who reviewed or brought in new readers! (Taking another note. I wonder if you can put a "recommended by" into an order form....So much to learn...my head hurts. )
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
I actually went looking for this program after my first flit through this forum, and haven't been able to find it. Could you possibly send me a download URL?
A good place to start might be the Book Designer page in the MobileRead Wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

It has links to the download files, but also other useful info too.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
JaneFancher
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Of course, this totally ignores the fact that PDF cannot, at this time, re-size the fonts from 9pt to, 14pt, 18pt or 24pt on the fly. Thus, for those of us who find ourselves reading in a wide variety of lighting levels, PDF is absolutely CRAP for an e-ink reader.

Stick with RTF or XHTML as your base format.

Derek
More useful info. Of course, a PDF would allow people to read the book on their computer rather than a reader...Do other formats have similar free readers like Adobe? No skin off to make a PDF anyway. I'm into giving my readers choice!
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
More useful info. Of course, a PDF would allow people to read the book on their computer rather than a reader...Do other formats have similar free readers like Adobe? No skin off to make a PDF anyway. I'm into giving my readers choice!
For the PC world, any browser can read HTML, OpenOffice (free DL) can read RTF, Mobipocket Reader is free DL, and I believe the ereader and FB2 are also free DLs, and MS has a free DL for the LIT format. LRF, the Sony format, has a free reader (if you buy the Sony) but Calibre (free DL) can also read LRF as well as Epub. Not sure whether the Kindle has a PC reader or not. I think that takes care of the more popular formats on a PC.

The various ebook readers have their own readers built in.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #22
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm trying not to do. I'd like to make them available in all sorts of formats on my website at reasonable download rates so people aren't quite so inclined to pirate. (sigh)

I actually went looking for this program after my first flit through this forum, and haven't been able to find it. Could you possibly send me a download URL? I'd sure appreciate it. (I think that's when I started feeling totally dumb. )

thanks!
Bookdesigner is in my Signature, as well as my get started guide.

http://www.fictionwise.com/ seems to be a popular site for both DRM and DRM Free Books.

The Pirates do have your books already (the dance of rings trilogy atleast) so you might as well try a DRM free publishing route.. it seems to work well for most authors. If your famous enough to be Pirated, your famous enough to make some money selling books.

If I Were you. what i would look into is:

Fictionwise DRM Free books,
Amazon Kindle, as i Expect this to be where most of your ebook sales to come from.
Selling and or Giving Away DRM free Copies of your books on your Website, this seems to have worked out very well for John Scalzi, and especially authors of Series by Giving away the First Book of a Series Free.

Also, I would Try to Milk the Media.. every month now there is an article of an Author giving away their books for free after learning about the mysterious pirates reading their book. Sales after one of those seem to shoot through the roof.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #23
JaneFancher
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
http://www.fictionwise.com/ seems to be a popular site for both DRM and DRM Free Books.

The Pirates do have your books already (the dance of rings trilogy atleast) so you might as well try a DRM free publishing route.. it seems to work well for most authors. If your famous enough to be Pirated, your famous enough to make some money selling books.

If I Were you. what i would look into is:

Fictionwise DRM Free books,
Amazon Kindle, as i Expect this to be where most of your ebook sales to come from.
Selling and or Giving Away DRM free Copies of your books on your Website, this seems to have worked out very well for John Scalzi, and especially authors of Series by Giving away the First Book of a Series Free.

Also, I would Try to Milk the Media.. every month now there is an article of an Author giving away their books for free after learning about the mysterious pirates reading their book. Sales after one of those seem to shoot through the roof.
Yayaayayay...I've been pirated!

Good suggestions. I'm already planning on making the original versions of the Groundties series available on my website. I've got substantially new versions of them which I'll then sell. Hadn't thought about making the Ring books available for free. Maybe, as you say, the first one. Then maybe if I get down on my knees and beg, people who have read and liked the pirated one will help me stay in business by buying the others. I dunno. That's all future stuff. Mostly, I want to make the rest of the series available. Be nice to prove NY wrong, too. They say it's been too long since the other books came out.

Also, I've decided: no DRM. It's not fair. Technology changes. Nevermind Disney has gotten rich off me in the last thirty years!

Fictionwise doesn't handle original material and their requirements for authors (as opposed to publishers) is a five year exclusive contract for ten previously published works. Which is nuts. By those standards, TOLKEIN couldn't get in backlist up with them!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BookDesigner is a good place to start. It is very easy to export from BD in many different formats - Sony, MobiPocket, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote