Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
But it means that it has to be unzipped before you can find that. It could take a while to unzip the files in a directory before displaying them.

Seems they decided on the simple and direct approach.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
But it means that it has to be unzipped before you can find that. It could take a while to unzip the files in a directory before displaying them.

Seems they decided on the simple and direct approach.
Not true. The mime file is intentionally not compressed so that the zip file does not need to be unzipped. Why else would they insist that it be uncompressed. It does have to be opened but not unzipped. It is certainly still a bit faster to look at the extension but Unix does not use extensions preferring the less vulnerable approach. od -c will produce:

0000000 P K 003 004 \n \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 C y 242 B o a
0000020 253 , 024 \0 \0 \0 024 \0 \0 \0 \b \0 \0 \0 m i
0000040 m e t y p e a p p l i c a t i o
0000060 n / e p u b + z i p P K 003 004 024 \0
0000100 002 \0 \b \0 D y 242 B 9 357 > 005 274 \0 \0 \0

where PK 003 004 shows it is a zip archive and the mime type will always start at the offset 2E

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You are correct Dale. Poor terminology on my part.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think the extension was chosen so it would NOT be associated with any other program. In essence, it is a BAK file and I know of no other program that opens BAK files.
no - in essence it is a properly formatted EPUB - its not a backup format, it is just a renamed file - that is why rename, then Open with sigil works fine.

but FYI, programs that open proper "backup format" files include Word, Excel...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote