Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
jack0909
jack0909 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000
Do you see screen fading problem when using Kindle DX devices in direct-sunlight?

Do you see screen fading problem when using Kindle DX devices in direct-sunlight?

For many E-ink readers, there exist a problem that ink turns lighter when they are exposed in direct-sunlight or after using for about one year. Did you see the screen fading phenomenon when using Kindle DX devices?

Thanks for your reply in advance.
jack0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There have been a few reports of fading (on the old Vizplex K2 and/or KDX), but so far as I know Amazon has always promptly replaced the device if you complain of fading. Amazon now advertises sunlight readability in their TV ads, so I am sure they will do the same with the new Pearl screens. In any case, I have seen no reports of Pearl E Ink fading.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
jack0909
jack0909 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000
There are two kinds of screen fading problems in online reports, which has affected various brands such as Sony readers, iRex DR1000, Kindle 2...

[1] Ink permanently fade after using a period of time (1 year, 1.5 years...)

[2] Temporally sun fade.

Aren't there any problems above in Kindle DX devices? Does Electrophoretic ink get unstable over time based on the aging and fragile interaction between ink bubbles and electronic charges?
jack0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had the DXG since the day it was released and have used it outside every day I have had it. I have not had a problem with sun fade.

I have had a K1 for 2 years and have not had any sun fade issues.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
My K2 was purchased in July 09 after I dropped the K1 my wife purchased me for Christmas when they came out. Side note - She was so concerned about me not having my Kindle as a frequent traveler, that she had one fedexed to a my hotel in Houston. That is why I am 27 years with my high school sweetheart. It's the little things.

I am not much of an outdoor reader, but took it to the beach this July. It was one week out of warranty. The screen was fading significantly while relaxing at the pool. The best way to describe it is the the look you get on paper when your laser printer is running out of ink. I did some googling and found out about the sun fade issue which appears to be limited to certain batches from the time-frame when I purchased.

I had an extended warranty, but preferred to deal with Amazon on the known issue. It was two weeks out of warranty when I called, prepared to use all my persuasive skills on the CS rep. After a quick description, he said, "It is fading in sunlight?". I answered yes. He overnighted me a new one for Saturday delivery, no questions asked. I returned the old one in the same packaging with a label that they provided to cover UPS fees.

It was completely painless and another great example of how serious they are about providing best-in-class customer service on the Kindle and delighting the customer.

Jack, the known issue that I had can be easily tested by taking it out in sunlight for 10 minutes or so. It returns to normal after you take it back indoors.

Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert