Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #61
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
... Nothing for me will ever surpass the pleasure of holding a real books in my hands, nor - laugh as much as you want - its texture, its smell.
I can think of several ways to give your e-reader texture and make it smell. Perhaps you're on to something. Maybe there is a market for crinkley, smelly e-readers!? Let's see what Amazon comes out with next!!!!
I kind of like the Kindle Mold, or maybe the Kindle Mildew? The Sony Soot? .....

Last edited by GoSharks; 11-17-2012 at 11:44 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #62
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
I owned ereaders since their beginning. - and I'm posting this from my ipad.
Yet reading about the sarcasm everywhere in this thread, I'm a bit saddened... Nothing for me will ever surpass the pleasure of holding a real books in my hands, nor - laugh as much as you want - its texture, its smell.
Please, feel free to swim in the digital seas as much as you want - I'll remain convinced that the zealots among you have lost a lot.
Why do you think though that those of us who prefer e-books over "real" (i.e. physical) books have lost anything at all, never mind "a lot"? Is it so impossible to believe that for some of us, e-books are a genuine improvement in many ways, not just a way to make do?

I am likely in a minority here, but if I can smell a book at all, I hate it. I can't stand the smell of ink; in fact, I'm somewhat allergic to it. I'm also allergic to dust, which the 1000+ paper books in my home tend to accumulate. I've always found it difficult to hold most mass market paperbacks open and reading them, while certainly being a tactile experience, is mostly a struggle, where the tactile experience of struggling to hold the book open enough to see the text (what with the often-narrow inner margins) takes the focus away from what I'm reading, enough so that I often needed to re-read a paragraph several times because my attention was on keeping the book open.

I do still buy the occasional paper book, if it's something I really love - although only if it has beautiful cover art (or isn't available electronically), which makes about five books a year (out of 300+ books a year I've been buying since switching to e-books). I prefer good quality hardbacks if possible, not because I particularly enjoy the tactile experience but because they tend to not stink, the ink doesn't rub off onto my fingers, and they are easier to hold open without a struggle.

I have a very hard time imagining what I have "lost" by shifting the overwhelming majority of my leisure reading (non-illustrated fiction) to a format that lets me focus on the content instead of making me sneeze or struggle with it.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #63
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Please, feel free to swim in the digital seas as much as you want - I'll remain convinced that the zealots among you have lost a lot.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion and, yes, this is a public forum. But that opinion becomes significantly less worthwhile when it is given on a forum dedicated to e-reading and e-readers and flame-baiting phrases are added to that opinion.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #64
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
I'll remain convinced that the zealots among you have lost a lot.
Perhaps you would like to explain what us zealots have lost by reading ebooks.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #65
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I can think of several ways to give your e-reader texture and make it smell. Perhaps you're on to something. Maybe there is a market for crinkley, smelly e-readers!? Let's see what Amazon comes out with next!!!!
I kind of like the Kindle Mold, or maybe the Kindle Mildew? The Sony Soot? .....
They already are. Look at the PW and the rough -don't know how else to describe the new screen texture as I had not personally touched one yet. That is a big step towards getting closer to the tactile feel of old-fashioned paper.

Someone doesn't like that there is only one page? Make an ereader that folds open like a "real" book and has 2 screens. Either for 2 page display or possibly as option to have all text on one side, and book information, a small cover maybe, footnotes, dictionary lookups - all this without disturbing the main text only side. Also no need to have a seperate cover, as the screens, when shut, could be on inside.

Not sure I would like it though - I like beeing able to read one handed. I sometimes read with both hands and fold the cover open and hold it like a normal book (one handed it is folded all the way to back).

(I am aware there is some readers like that with lcd and eink - can't remember the brand - but they never appeared to be serious reading-dedicated devices)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #66
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
waste away.
sorry if I intruded -
I just saw a lot of sarcasm for a thing I love, and I said that I believe people thinking so is losing a lot. Sorry, but this is my position.
I want to excuse me for having used the term zealot, I shouldnt have.
Regarding the question about being something of a troll for holding similar positions on an ebook forum, oh boy... I risk repeating me, but damn if this is not a sad thing to read! Do you really want one mind, one language, one opinion? I swear, I read and used this forum for years, and enjoyed it. Now I dont feel so welcome anymore...
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #67
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I think most sarcasm here is directed towards the style of the article and how it contradicts itself, not so much the simple idea that some prefer paper books over electronic.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #68
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
I owned ereaders since their beginning. - and I'm posting this from my ipad.
Yet reading about the sarcasm everywhere in this thread, I'm a bit saddened... Nothing for me will ever surpass the pleasure of holding a real books in my hands, nor - laugh as much as you want - its texture, its smell.
The main point here has nothing to do with zealotry but a lot to do with READING... yes, books are great, special limited editions can be really great BUT for reading the words, which I believe has something to do with books as well as eReaders, each has there own place and fans but most of us can appreciate both... for many people the eReader has huge advantages over paper - try handling a thousand page volume with rheumatoid arthritis or CTS, read some six point type when you've got serious eye problems etc plus the ease of carrying multiple books around with you... as such the real gripe is about a hypocrite deriding digital media as inferior shadows of the "real" thing... and doing it digitally...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #69
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The main point here has nothing to do with zealotry but a lot to do with READING... yes, books are great, special limited editions can be really great BUT for reading the words, which I believe has something to do with books as well as eReaders, each has there own place and fans but most of us can appreciate both... for many people the eReader has huge advantages over paper - try handling a thousand page volume with rheumatoid arthritis or CTS, read some six point type when you've got serious eye problems etc plus the ease of carrying multiple books around with you... as such the real gripe is about a hypocrite deriding digital media as inferior shadows of the "real" thing... and doing it digitally...
I absolutely agree re the fact that they're a huge step forward for people with disabilities - I also know that devices exist (though pricey) able to display braille script for blind people...
I again beg your pardon for using the "zealot" term - I'm italian, and wrongly assumed it meant somebody having strong beliefs, nothing more insulting!
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #70
Dem0sthenes
Hegemon
Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dem0sthenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What else would it be? This is the best thing to happen to print since paper. It is amazingly Eco friendly and books can now be archived and traded far more safely. There is no risk of government censorship and the documents that need to be circulated spread from torrent host to user in 30 seconds flat.
Dem0sthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #71
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0sthenes View Post
What else would it be? This is the best thing to happen to print since paper. It is amazingly Eco friendly and books can now be archived and traded far more safely. There is no risk of government censorship and the documents that need to be circulated spread from torrent host to user in 30 seconds flat.
reported your post, that does not sound very mature
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #72
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
For me paper books are like horse-drawn carriages. Sure, I like to see them and pet the horses. But just to get from A to B I would never choose one over a car.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #73
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
reported your post, that does not sound very mature
Am I missing something?
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #74
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I can't believe I actually just finished the OP article. Some of the sentences are inadvertently amusing, but the whole dragged.

Please, please, University of Chicago Press, do not waste the one free book you give us each month on Mr. Piper's tome.

Given my minimal sense of smell, my ideas there my be suspect. But I'm thinking that a modern paper book is far more similar in smell to an eReader than it is to a medieval codex made, as they almost always were, of animal skins. Even if a codex doesn't have much smell today, it probably smelled pretty strongly when first produced!

An even stronger article could have been written to attack the replacement of beautiful handmade vellum codexes by soulless machine-made paper books.

This doesn't mean I'm an eBook cheerleader. But if I was looking for the harm that might come out of the transition to eBooks, I wouldn't look to touch issues. Rather, I think it is the greater ease and safety in stealing eBooks over shoplifting paper ones.

P.S. Here is the University of Chicago freebee page I referred to above:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-17-2012 at 09:30 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #75
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.P View Post
Am I missing something?
Maybe, maybe not. Apparently I missed something - have not heard anything back or seen anybody reacting to it. Circumventing governmental censorship by means of P2P exchange does not strike me as a complete legal way of to do things. Even if no copyright is infringed, I do not believe going against your local laws should be advise given here. Take removing of DRM for instance: theoretically no problem (morally and legally depending where you live), and yet there is parts of this world this is (still) an illegal act.

If I was out of line in my report than in the very least I hope to hear something in a pm from a mod. For the same reason I did not initially include anything out of the wording I used in my report. I even refrained from using any insults in my previous post.