Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: MULTIPLE choice reading and book buying habits
I read a book once and forget about it. Even if I enjoyed it, once is all I need. 19 15.97%
A favorite book is like comfort food to my soul. I read it and re-read it frequently. 88 73.95%
If I borrow a book from a friend or the library, I won't ever buy it. 13 10.92%
I will buy a book before having even previewed it, if it is from an author I like. 89 74.79%
Even if a book is from an author I like, I still like to read it for free first. 11 9.24%
I will buy a book sight unseen if a friend of mine whom I trust convinces me it will be great. 49 41.18%
My books are a part of my "visual sound track", they mean something to me. 48 40.34%
I am a cautious buyer. I buy books only after having read them at the library. 6 5.04%
Other (Explain) 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I used to never re-read books, or only very rarely. But then I had a closed-head injury, and now my memory is compromised. I can remember that I loved a book, but not enough of the details to spoil a re-read.

And then there are other books, like the Chalion books (by Lois Bujold), that I love so dearly that I do a periodic re-read, maybe once a year or so, just because they're so *good* that I love revisiting them. (I've also found that her Sharing Knife books improved upon re-reading).
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #32
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
I'm also a book hoarder & I can't part with my books, even the ones I would never read again. I love going into book shops browsing & just picking up interesting looking books. Most books have been bought without previewing them. However, I will buy books I've borrowed & enjoyed, especially those which are in a series.
Since getting my ereader I have been using the library more, currently unemployed so book buying is on the back burner. Am also loving the freebies I can pick up too. Once I can afford to I will be back to buying way too many books.

True Story: When Waterstones launched their loyalty card, I was asked if I wanted one, obviously I agreed. The assistant began filling out the application & she came to the question How many books do you purchase in a year? Can't remember the choices, but I opted for the last one. The girl just looked at me & said even most of the staff didn't buy that many.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I'm the worse. Books are a complete addiction for me. I even speak of them in drug terms - using words like "fix." I spend tons of money on books yearly. I often buy site unseen (which wastes a lot of money), I'll buy from my favorite authors without reading first, I'll buy based on recommendations, etc.

I stopped tracking how much money I spend because it would be depressing. I can say I don't have any other really bad habits so that keeps me out the poor house. I'm not a clothes shopper or purses, etc. Just books. Lots and lots of books. Maybe too many books? Nah, you can never be too well read or own too many books.
Are we twins?

ETA: And I use and support libraries religiously. It's both/and, Penguin. Both/And.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I reread my favorites often. Any book I really like I want to keep so having read and liked a book makes me more likely to buy it and any others by that author. I have frequently, having found a new favorite author, gone out and bought all their backlist.

Last edited by crossi; 02-19-2012 at 06:06 PM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #35
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I'm the worse. Books are a complete addiction for me. I even speak of them in drug terms - using words like "fix." I spend tons of money on books yearly. I often buy site unseen (which wastes a lot of money), I'll buy from my favorite authors without reading first, I'll buy based on recommendations, etc.

I stopped tracking how much money I spend because it would be depressing. I can say I don't have any other really bad habits so that keeps me out the poor house. I'm not a clothes shopper or purses, etc. Just books. Lots and lots of books. Maybe too many books? Nah, you can never be too well read or own too many books.
Same here with regards addiction to books. One reason I got an e-Reader is that I've run out of room for books. I love going to a bookshop and browsing and usually come out with a few - that's my preferred method of obtaining books. It would be good if you could browse and then buy and download the e-book (instead of the p-book) in store though that would probably be deadlier on my bank balance!

I use the library a lot as well - both physical and electronic. If there is a library book I love I will buy it as I know that the library doesn't keep books forever. There's some that I liked that they no longer have and the author is out of print.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #36
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:

yup lol.

buying books is pretty much the one vice i have left. i don't gamble, womanize, drink or do drugs. i quit smoking. i don't buy expensive stuff and i've abandoned my more expensive hobbies. books are the one thing i've got left .
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote