Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
prs 650 losses last page info when powered off.

this is discouraging. why would it not remeber the last page i was on? I guess I should never turn it off.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I think they all do that, no? Seems reasonable to me to have to remember to set a bookmark. Most folks only power down completely when they're going to be away from their units for more than a couple of days (or when charging).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have the 505 and don't think it does that. I believe if I open up the book again, it goes back to where it left off. Could be wrong though since I haven't completely powered it off for awhile, but I don't recall finding where I left off ever a problem.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
this is discouraging. why would it not remeber the last page i was on? I guess I should never turn it off.
My 350 remembers the last page when turned off. Perhaps you just experienced a glitch?
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Just to confirm: are we talking about "off" or fully powered down? A click of the power switch to put the unit in "sleep" mode, yes it should come back to the same page. Completely powered down, I didn't think so.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Just to confirm: are we talking about "off" or fully powered down? A click of the power switch to put the unit in "sleep" mode, yes it should come back to the same page. Completely powered down, I didn't think so.
It remembers when fully powered off. Try it yourself. Open a book and change the page a few times. Slide and hold the power switch until prompted to shut down the device. After you restart the reader, open up the book you were reading and it will return to the same page it was on when you powered it down. The reader does NOT go back to the book you were reading when it was powered down, but it does remember the page you were on when the book is opened. It does, of course, remember the last book you were reading, so it takes one touch of the finger to return to where you left off after the reader starts from a power down.

I believe all Sony readers have behaved this way since the PRS 500.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
GhostDreamer
GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.

Device: PRS 650
I have the 650 and it does remember the last page when powered down even if I didn't bookmarked it.
GhostDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Same here... when you do a shutdown, the reader does not go back to the page you were in... when you power it on it comes back to the main screen, last book you were reading is on the top, you have to click on it to go back to reading, but it does go back to the page you were before...

If you use the sleep mode it will go back to the page you were reading when you switch it out of sleep...

So it depends on how you want to handle the shutdown versus the sleep mode. I hope that helps.

Last edited by wachuko; 09-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Provincial
Provincial is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDreamer View Post
I have the 650 and it does remember the last page when powered down even if I didn't bookmarked it.
+1 Same here, even when fully power it off.

* Note: It does not automatically load the last book when you re-power it. But that book is automatically the first one in the book list and when you re-open it, the page is remembered.
Provincial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
I suspect you're holding the power switch to force the 350 to completely turn off.

When you turn the unit back on - do you get the boot screen?

If so, don't do hold the power button so long - just flick it for a moment. The screen will go blank and, when you restart, it will not only turn on faster, it will remember what you were doing when you turn it off.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Same here... when you do a shutdown, the reader does not go back to the page you were in... when you power it on it comes back to the main screen, last book you were reading is on the top, you have to click on it to go back to reading, but it does go back to the page you were before...

If you use the sleep mode it will go back to the page you were reading when you switch it out of sleep...

So it depends on how you want to handle the shutdown versus the sleep mode. I hope that helps.
I recall that is what happens with my 505. A complete shut down brings you back to the main menu and you can select the last book read at the top, which continues where I left off.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote