Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Which case should I buy?
Lighted Case 40 62.50%
Simple Case 24 37.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
The lighted cover is almost the same size as the non-lighted cover and the light only adds 1.1 ounces to the weight of the cover according to the dimensions from Amazon:

Unlighted:
Product Dimensions: 7 x 5 x 0.6 inches ; 4.3 ounces

Lighted
Product Dimensions: 7.3 x 5 x 0.6 inches ; 5.4 ounces

I really recommend the lighted cover - it's extremely convenient to always have a light on hand when the need arises.
See this is what my rational side is telling me, argh! I keep changing my mind, I've ordered the Simple case, but am considering exchanging it...

I can't decide! Would be easier if I could see/feel the case to help make my decision but they are not available near me.

Sigh.

Thanks for your help
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #17
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The extra ounce and the extra 0.3 inches DOES make a visible and tangible difference, though. Given that the Simple is being discontinued, I'd probably go for that first; the lighted will still be available for you to get later, but the Simple won't... unless you mangle a Lighted cover.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #18
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
I have 2 homemade cases w/o lights and im DYING for a light! Only because it would be nice to cuddle in bed and read. Maybe you can get one of those clip on lights and have the best of both worlds? Thats what i plan to try and do.
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
DumbledoreMD
DumbledoreMD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have the lighted case and can say that it doesn't add THAT much weight to the kindle, it's still very comfortable to read with the kindle in one hand, and it adds a lot of protecton to it... just be jentle with the leather, i already scratched mine a little on the back
DumbledoreMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
ProjeKtWEREWOLF
Imperator Vult
ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle
I was given a standard cover with my Kindle 3G (keyboard) this Xmas. I have purchased an Otovo Solis light to go with it. I am of course very thankful for the gift, but I myself would have bought a non keyboard kindle (or Sony) with the lighted case. The kindle is bulky and heavy anyway!
ProjeKtWEREWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Discontinued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
... Given that the Simple is being discontinued,...
What does this mean?
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #22
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
I went to Best Buy and got RocketFish 2 way light

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/1235...ws/reviews.htm

Ill let you know how it does tonight.
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #23
tanteoma
Enthusiast
tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I used an unlighted case and use a tiny LED torch when needed. That particular torch was a gift from my bank and uses a single aa battery. The rechargeable batteries I bought five or six years ago for my sony digital camera still last about 20-30h with that torch. It's perfect.
tanteoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I have the lighted case for the Kindle touch. It's really handy not to have to fiddle with batteries.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I love my lighted Kindle Touch cover for it's size, weight, and, of course, the light; but it's ugly, cheap-looking, and I miss the way my hand slips into the Oberon cover of my Kindle Keyboard. I just ordered a K-3 Oberon cover in the hopes that I can cut off the front cover of the lighted Kindle cover and fit the whole thing inside the Oberon cover. I think it will fit, but I may have to make some slight modifications. Then I'll have the best of both worlds, except for the size and weight. But I can live with that. I'll let you all know how it works out.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
I absolutely love the lighted cover, couldn't live without it!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
I just picked up the non-lighted Kindle Touch cover - my local Target had them in the Electronics clearance section for $19.98 (a much more palatable price than the norm).

Last edited by InsulinJunkie72; 02-16-2012 at 09:10 PM.
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
As I mentioned before, I have the non-lighted Kindle Touch cover. It works fine and I've gotten to not notice the extra weight. The Touch without any case is very light and the case adds noticeable weight, but, as I said, I am no longer aware of it as I read. At night, I simply use the iPad with black background and white lettering. It works great. As a point of interest, I note that I get about three weeks of reading on the Touch before I have to recharge the battery - amazing given how much I use it. One of the features that is nice that many of the lighted cover users have pointed out is the light works of the Kindle itself. So, how does this impact battery charge usage?
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I love my lighted Kindle Touch cover for it's size, weight, and, of course, the light; but it's ugly, cheap-looking, and I miss the way my hand slips into the Oberon cover of my Kindle Keyboard. I just ordered a K-3 Oberon cover in the hopes that I can cut off the front cover of the lighted Kindle cover and fit the whole thing inside the Oberon cover. I think it will fit, but I may have to make some slight modifications. Then I'll have the best of both worlds, except for the size and weight. But I can live with that. I'll let you all know how it works out.
I just got the Oberon K-3 cover in the mail. Here's how things turned out (pretty well, I think):

Spoiler:
(Click any image for a larger view.)

Here's the new Oberon (K-3) cover:

Click image for larger version

Name:	K-3 for K-Touch cover 01.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	83009

Here's the Kindle Touch in it's lighted cover from Amazon:

Name:	K-3 for K-Touch cover 02.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	83010

Here's my weapon:

Name:	K-3 for K-Touch cover 03.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	83011

After taking the Kindle out of its cover, I cut the front cover off:

Name:	K-3 for K-Touch cover 04.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	83012

Here's the Kindle Touch—with the Amazon lighted cover with the front portion removed—mounted in my Oberon cover. It was a tight fit, but the leather will stretch:

Name:	K-3 for K-Touch cover 05.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	83013

It works!

Name:	K-3 for K-Touch cover 06.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	83014

Yeah, it's a lot heavier and bulkier now:

Name:	K-3 for K-Touch cover 07.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	83015

But is sure is pretty, and I have an Oberon cover with a light that works off the Kindle battery!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-25-2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just got the Oberon K-3 cover in the mail. Here's how things turned out (pretty well, I think):

Spoiler:
(Click any image for a larger view.)

Here's the new Oberon (K-3) cover:

Attachment 83009

Here's the Kindle Touch in it's lighted cover from Amazon:

Attachment 83010

Here's my weapon:

Attachment 83011

After taking the Kindle out of its cover, I cut the front cover off:

Attachment 83012

Here's the Kindle Touch—with the Amazon lighted cover with the front portion removed—mounted in my Oberon cover. I was a tight fit, but the leather will stretch:

Attachment 83013

It works!

Attachment 83014

Yeah, it's a lot heavier and bulkier now:

Attachment 83015

But is sure is pretty, and I have an Oberon cover with a light that works off the Kindle battery!
Congratulations Dr. Frankenstein, it lives!!!!!!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote