Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Real World CyBook Battery Life

Just thought I'd share my experience so far and see what others are experiencing.

I made it 15 days until I had to charge it tonight.

I had set the auto power off for 1 hour because I didn't find the default 5 minute practical. There must be a formula for how much power it takes to run through the 30 second boot process vs just leaving a static page for x amount of time. I hope it's longer then 5 min. I powered it off when I knew I wasn't going to read for longer then 1 hour.

I'm not a heavy reader compared to others on this forum. I typically average 50 paperback pages a day and when I checked the books I read during this time it was roughly 800 paper page equivalent. Assuming two ebook pages per paper page that's about 1,600 page turns. I typically read in three separate sessions in a day and powered the unit off in between.

I had the SD card installed the whole time and I did more font changes, font size changes, dictionary and thesaurus lookups then I typically would because of demos for people and stuff so that probably chewed more battery.

This is longer then I need because if I'm gone for a week I have to take my iPod charger anyway. In the future I'll probably just leave it powered on and charge it every 4 days but I was curious how long it would last.

Last edited by Barcey; 11-24-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Cheap drugs ;-)
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Nice to know. Thanks for the info.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Thanks for the info. On their website it says:

Code:
 Casual reader  	 Average reader      Heavy reader
 80 refreshes/day        160 refreshes/day     320 refreshes/day
 100 days                   50 days                  25 days
  3 months 	            1 to 2 months	   3 weeks
Any ideas how they get to three months of battery life?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the Gen3 spends most of its time switched off, I can imagine that one could very well get 3 months of battery life from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If the Gen3 spends most of its time switched off, I can imagine that one could very well get 3 months of battery life from it.
I'm not sure about that. Mine was shut for 70% of any given day (conservative estimate). I might try it without the SD card installed to see if that makes any difference.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

I'm very curious to that although I don't think it will make a big difference.

@ Harry,

What's your experience with the battery life and do you switch it off?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Thanks for the info. On their website it says:

Code:
 Casual reader  	 Average reader      Heavy reader
 80 refreshes/day        160 refreshes/day     320 refreshes/day
 100 days                   50 days                  25 days
  3 months 	            1 to 2 months	   3 weeks
Any ideas how they get to three months of battery life?
I love how they presume a 'heavy' reader would run around 320 page refreshes per day. I've clocked as many as 1,600 in a day! And FYI, anything over 800/day is going to *SERIOUSLY* drain the battery in just a few days. The upside to that is I'm so frequently hooking the Cybook up to my computer to get rid of the old books and add new ones in that I'm constantly re-charging during those peak-reading-speed days!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Take into consideration the fact that when they say turning the pages, they probably really mean screen refreshes. Every time anything on the screen changes, it's a screen refresh. Every time you bring up a menu, library, move selection in the menu or library up or down, move the outline around a word when selecting a word to look up, it's a screen refresh. It's a page turn.

So if you read 300 pages, you might actually have many more screen refreshes done.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm very curious to that although I don't think it will make a big difference.

@ Harry,

What's your experience with the battery life and do you switch it off?
I switch mine off at the end of every reading session, and find that the few minutes every day or so it's connected to my PC via USB are sufficient to keep the battery meter at 100%.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Thanks Harry.

I think that they are way too optimistic then with their numbers. Or let's say it in another way; it seems that they just used the 8000 screen refreshes as a formula to calculate based on how many pages you turn a day. But the number 8000 is probably based on flipping all the pages in one go. Also the unit will maybe drain power even if it's off. It should be easy to measure since it has a removable battery.

I'm still thinking of buying one although I lean more to the Hanlin V3, but it would cost a whole lot more to get it here to The Netherlands.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
I'm still thinking of buying one although I lean more to the Hanlin V3, but it would cost a whole lot more to get it here to The Netherlands.
We will probably be selling the V3s some time end of January in Germany.
I have not had a chance to compare the devices yet though.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
We will probably be selling the V3s some time end of January in Germany.
I have not had a chance to compare the devices yet though.

Good to now! Any chance you will also sell the V9(c)(t)?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Good to now! Any chance you will also sell the V9(c)(t)?
If we can get our hands on it for a reasonable price and with a useful software for the european market, sure.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Well after couple of weeks mine is still stuck at 100%. I just haven't managed to move below full?!?! Now I am certainly in the casual category. Also I am loading a bunch of short docs for work (reading at home in the evening) so I keep recharging while copying files.

So apart from you super heavy duty readers I don't think that most users would even notice battery life as we are bound to plug in every few weeks. For me its battery life is amazing and exactly what I expected - one less thing to worry about (unlike for laptops and PDAs).
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
Well, I don't have hard and fast numbers... But I charged my Cybook fully upon receipt, and the first book I downloaded was Lawhead's "Taliesen", which is approx. 500 pages. I read the book in a week, and recharged it once during my reading, and the battery was probably ~50% when I recharged it. I probably could have gone the whole book without recharging.

For me, I find that to be highly acceptable battery life.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote