Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #25411
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Glad it seems OK. There's often that 'phoney war' type thing when you start a new job I have found. It can be a bit frustrating.

It's a bit disappointing that it's limiting your MR time, but such is life!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #25412
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Drinking RIch Malt.... Happoshu...basically cheap crap beer brewed quickly, most likely chemically, and cheaper than the overpriced beer that is common in Japan... Tastes horrible...but I am on my 6th pint to nite...so no worries mate...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #25413
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Winding down the afternoon with some sweet tea and thinking about making some twice baked potatoes for dinner.
Can you explain the concept of "twice baked"? Is it as straightforward as it sounds, and if so, why do it? Does it improve the texture of the potato?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Drinking RIch Malt.... Happoshu...basically cheap crap beer brewed quickly, most likely chemically, and cheaper than the overpriced beer that is common in Japan... Tastes horrible...but I am on my 6th pint to nite...so no worries mate...
After the 4th pint the taste hardly matters, does it?

Just black coffee - it's still mid-afternoon here.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #25414
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Can you explain the concept of "twice baked"? Is it as straightforward as it sounds, and if so, why do it? Does it improve the texture of the potato?
Well you bake mr. potato, and then you pull it out, cut in half, scope out the insides , mix in cheese and stuff then bake some more. Example:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #25415
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
now...on my night cap.... Saphire Bombay on the rocks.... Can't go wrong with decent gin...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #25416
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Wow! I had a couple of shots of home-made Laow Kaow this evening... Just two shot glasses... I can't feel my feet....

Stitchawl.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #25417
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Quote:
now...on my night cap.... Saphire Bombay on the rocks.... Can't go wrong with decent gin...
Much better than the first stuff.
Quote:
Can you explain the concept of "twice baked"? Is it as straightforward as it sounds, and if so, why do it? Does it improve the texture of the potato?.
VydorScope beat me to it. I wouldn't say it improves the taste as much as it changes the taste depending on how you make it. It could even be as simple as just mixing cheese, a little butter, and some seasonings. Taste is even different depending on how much potato you leave on close to the skin when you scoop it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Well you bake mr. potato, and then you pull it out, cut in half, scope out the insides , mix in cheese and stuff then bake some more. Example:

Thanks and that is just a basic recipe, as there are a multitude of ways to make the mash. I usually wipe the potatoes with olive oil before the first baking and mix the cheese and everything else in with the mash. You can add bacon bits, chopped broccoli, garlic, onion. It all just depends on the taste you would like. I even mix in BBQ sauce sometimes.

It's a rainy, gloomy day and I'm waiting for my second cup of sumatra coffee to brew, so I can wake up before getting ready for work.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #25418
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

Yum! I've printed off the recipe and am going to give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Much better than the first stuff.

VydorScope beat me to it. I wouldn't say it improves the taste as much as it changes the taste depending on how you make it. It could even be as simple as just mixing cheese, a little butter, and some seasonings. Taste is even different depending on how much potato you leave on close to the skin when you scoop it out.

Thanks and that is just a basic recipe, as there are a multitude of ways to make the mash. I usually wipe the potatoes with olive oil before the first baking and mix the cheese and everything else in with the mash. You can add bacon bits, chopped broccoli, garlic, onion. It all just depends on the taste you would like. I even mix in BBQ sauce sometimes.
Double Yum!

Nothing in my cup. Stitchawl's talk of home-made Laow Kaow has made me think about the night to come...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #25419
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Fourth steeping of the tea farmers Green Puerh. Goes well with salt and pepper pistachios, my salty food substitute.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #25420
orlok
Close to the Edit!

OK, so it's Budweiser in my cup (bottle) now. Brewed in the UK.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #25421
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yum! I've printed off the recipe and am going to give it a go.
Be sure to report back!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #25422
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Twice baked potatoes, with virtually any recipe I've seen, are one of life's real treats. They are to the lowly baked spud as a deviled egg is to a hard boiled egg.

Time for some Lapsang Souchong. Someone appears to have forgotten that it's Summer here.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #25423
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
One of my fondest culinary weakness is for a twice baked potato - laced with cheddar cheese and bacon bits, topped with melted cheese and bacon slices! *drool*

Pepsi One and lots of ice in my cup.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #25424
VydorScope
Wizard

So I just made some Passover Chocolate Chip Cookies with kosher matzo meal and etc. Why? Cause I have an oven and wanted cookies. Do I need any other reason? One interesting tidbit for you... unleavened cookies don't rise! LOL
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #25425
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a day that I could give you
I'd give to you a day just like today
If I had a song that I could sing for you
I'd sing a song to make you feel this way

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-NlLQuNd8 )

Good morning, all! It's another opening of another day! 7:30... Felicity is asleep in a sun ray on the back of the sofa next to the window, and I'm ready to go downstairs to the food lady and choose breakfast. Actually, I let the food lady choose my main course. I just pick the 'sides.' I have absolutely no idea what it is that I'm eating for most meals I buy here. I just point to a pot that's cooking and smile. I figure that if people are selling it, and people are buying and eating it, it must taste good, so no worries. So far, I have NEVER had a 'bad' meal in all the years I've visited or lived in Thailand. I've had some that weren't 'great,' but none that were actually bad tasting. Usually I don't ask what it is that I'm eating until AFTER I finish. That way my Western food prejudices don't get in the way.

But tea first, just so I can wake up. Today it's the Ceylon that my friends gave me. And pretty tasty it is, too! Deep flavor, surprising for a Ceylon. Must be an Uva, but it's not listed on the container.

EDIT: I don't know what I just ate as the main course, but damn! It was good! I'm going to go back downstairs and ask the lady the name of the dish. Beside it I had Northern Thai sausage, a one-egg vegetable omelet, and sticky rice. Not bad at all for 35 baht! (About a dollar US.)

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 06-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?