Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
georgetoon
Enthusiast
georgetoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You need to add the Icon to the menus because Calibre does not change/destroy YOUR custom configured menus of any existing installation

Preferences:toolbars
You should add in at least 2 places:
1)A toolbar (not connected)
2)Context Menu (not connected)

You can add any other place that is valid, but the above is where a New User would see them by default.
Thanks, again. The more I use this program, the more I appreciate all its features. Simply awesome!
georgetoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
I'm glad you got it working, but may I suggest that there's a better way to do it.

First, use the fields in Calibre as they were intended. Store only the title in the title column, and the series info in the series column. Trust me, any time I've tried to work around Calibre's way of doing things, it's always come back to bite me eventually.

Second, use a plugboard to change the metadata on the fly as you send it to your device. Set up your plugboard template once and never worry about it again, instead of messing with mobi-to-mobi conversions on books you add in the future.

Admittedly, I can't help you with setting up a plugboard template because I don't use plugboards myself, but there are plenty of capable members on this forum that do. I just know that this feature is designed specifically to do exactly what you're asking.

By the way, to get started with plugboards, see here.
Will this allow me to label the books so I know which is book 1, book 2, etc. and display in my kindle?

If so, I'll do this. Where should I go in the forums to find these discussions?
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre is supposed to update all metadata whenever you send a book to a device -- why isn't it doing that???

And Polish Books only works on AZW3 and EPUB, not MOBI.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was thinking AZW3 and not Mobi when I gave the Polish Books advice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetoon View Post
Will this allow me to label the books so I know which is book 1, book 2, etc. and display in my kindle?

If so, I'll do this. Where should I go in the forums to find these discussions?
Assuming my understanding of plugboards is correct (like I said, I don't use them myself) then yes. The right template should be able to merge the series and title fields into the title that gets displayed on the Kindle.

You might find this link helpful. The first example under Kindle/Kobo looks pretty close to what you need.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
calibre is supposed to update all metadata whenever you send a book to a device -- why isn't it doing that???

And Polish Books only works on AZW3 and EPUB, not MOBI.
Funnily,I updated and now when I download from Project Gutenberg and import, MetaData does not come up at all.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
georgetoon
Enthusiast

This is wierd. I nthe past, i'd download a file from Project Gutenberg and it would havea file name like pg76.mobi. When I imported into Calibre, it would have title, author, etc....all metadata. Now, nothing. it comes up as pg776.mobi. No metadata.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To Polish an epub or azw3 select the books and tap 'P' on the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetoon View Post
This is wierd. I nthe past, i'd download a file from Project Gutenberg and it would havea file name like pg76.mobi. When I imported into Calibre, it would have title, author, etc....all metadata. Now, nothing. it comes up as pg776.mobi. No metadata.
Did you change the Add Books settings to get Title and Author from file name ?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-27-2013 at 07:53 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
To Polish an epub or azw3 select the books and tap 'P' on the keyboard

Did you change the Add Books settings to get Title and Author from file name ?

BR
Hoo-boy I better check that. I'll check now and report back. gotta boot it up as it's my notebook system.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Yep. That was it. Apologies. I'll go stand in the corner now...but I'm taking my Kindle with me.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #26
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Don't worry, we've all tried tweaking this and that bit of the calibre settings and, in the process, goofed things up. Considering how many features the software supports I sometimes wonder why user initiated confusion isn't worse.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle keybpoard, renaming, wizard of oz